Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,218,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
To be honest, I welcome this recent course of action by Obama but not for the reasons most would suspect.

When the Bush administration tossed out Helen Thomas, those more liberally inclined gave her a pat on the head and continued on into the White House briefing room. Gutless cowards in my opinion.

Now if the press were an entity that had actual journalist who gave a damn about things like integrity and principles, they may have all stood with Helen and all walked out, but there is this air of entitlement that comes with being invited to the White House briefings that seems supersede all other ideals.

Now that we have a newly arriving administration that has decided that in this case Fox is unworthy to have their questions answered, then again as with Helen, the entire press should simply all walk out in protest over a continuation of partisanship.

I'm not sure what is more disgusting, an administration that refuses to answer questions from a news/entertainment outlet it doesn't like, or the gutless, spineless cowardly press who would rather die on their knees than to not get invited to the White House press briefings. It was wrong for the Bush administration to do it to Helen and it is wrong for the Obama administration to do it to Fox.

What would happen if all the press decided one day to simply not show up at press briefings? Granted it will never happen as there are two groups both fighting for their own self interest and guess what, you aren't it.

When Helen Thomas proved to be less than objective in her reporting and irresponsible in many statements she made, she lost much respect from her colleagues in the White House Press corps. She crossed the line more than once for nothing more than her own ideology which is not responsible reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM

695 posts, read 1,382,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
When Helen Thomas proved to be less than objective in her reporting and irresponsible in many statements she made, she lost much respect from her colleagues in the White House Press corps. She crossed the line more than once for nothing more than her own ideology which is not responsible reporting.
You're right. It might have been her age, but Helen Thomas certainly did not end her journalistic career on a high note. Saying crap like, "The day Dick Cheney is going to run for president, I'll kill myself..." is pretty stupid.

Of course, I'd think that would have qualified her to be the head of CNN.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,311,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
To be honest, I welcome this recent course of action by Obama but not for the reasons most would suspect.

When the Bush administration tossed out Helen Thomas, those more liberally inclined gave her a pat on the head and continued on into the White House briefing room. Gutless cowards in my opinion.

Now if the press were an entity that had actual journalist who gave a damn about things like integrity and principles, they may have all stood with Helen and all walked out, but there is this air of entitlement that comes with being invited to the White House briefings that seems supersede all other ideals.

Now that we have a newly arriving administration that has decided that in this case Fox is unworthy to have their questions answered, then again as with Helen, the entire press should simply all walk out in protest over a continuation of partisanship.

I'm not sure what is more disgusting, an administration that refuses to answer questions from a news/entertainment outlet it doesn't like, or the gutless, spineless cowardly press who would rather die on their knees than to not get invited to the White House press briefings. It was wrong for the Bush administration to do it to Helen and it is wrong for the Obama administration to do it to Fox.

What would happen if all the press decided one day to simply not show up at press briefings? Granted it will never happen as there are two groups both fighting for their own self interest and guess what, you aren't it.

So the reason I welcome this as it showcases how childish, self serving games are still being played right in front of peoples faces with impunity as the Fox isn't going to change, MSNBC isn't going to change and apparently Obama is going to do the unthinkable... act like the Bush administration. puke
This is a very interesting, detailed impression (if a little jazzed-up), written in present-tense diary form, of the White House press corps vs. Scott McClellan in 2005 during the Rove-Plame business.
In the last few years, the press has lost all sense of its own mojo. Things bottomed out after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, when any aggressive grilling of the administration branded reporters as unpatriotic, which potentially alienated their audiences. The high emotion surrounding 9/11 and the War on Terror (or the new, improved Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism, which the Beltway kids snarkily refer to as G-SAVE) have made them very useful hostage babies for the administration cowboys to shield themselves with during shootouts with the press. Somehow, aggressive questioning of the White House got spun as a heretical insult to slaughtered American innocents. It was so demoralizing that after a while the press succumbed en masse to what I call the Potomac dinge: passive cooperation in one's own degradation -- the deranged, unconscious complicity that is found in victims of ritual abuse.

"This is the most complacent and complicit media I've ever seen," Helen Thomas, the most senior member of the White House press corps, told me in an interview at her office at Hearst.
"I want everybody to wake up, and say, Is this us?"
I invaded the White House press corps - Salon.com

Last edited by delusianne; 12-01-2008 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,146,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That's for sure!
Libs just can't stand the fact that not only is there a non-leftist news station, but that it beats all the other ones in the ratings!

So, all they can do is call it by childish names not realizing how foolish they look when they do it.
[MOD CUT] That's why it continues and WILL continue.Does that help you in your quest for answers?

I find it humorous that Obama is standing his ground with FAUX and I don't see it as childish at all.They are a pack of liars and propagandists so WHY should he lend them any credibility at all by appearing on their network.He should just shun them as if they do not exist like most other thinking people do.Let the sheeple have THEIR fake news if it makes them feel better.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-01-2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Good move by Obama. Fox has long distinguished itself as the ultimate in low class journalism and should be eliminated because of its distortions.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I really don't know when the press got so neutered. One of the reasons we moved into the Iraq war is because the press didn't have the cajones to question authority and instead acted like a propaganda machine eating whatever the administration threw at them.

We went from having guys like Edward R Murrow who were willing to take hits from idiots like Gene McCarthy who ran on fear, to a fearful press corps that wouldn't ask for evidence as to why we were doing what we were doing.
I do agree with you,BUT,Bushco was so secretive (creepy really) that the press got used to being spoonfed and then turning around and spoon feeding us.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,246,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I really don't know when the press got so neutered. One of the reasons we moved into the Iraq war is because the press didn't have the cajones to question authority and instead acted like a propaganda machine eating whatever the administration threw at them.

We went from having guys like Edward R Murrow who were willing to take hits from idiots like Gene McCarthy who ran on fear, to a fearful press corps that wouldn't ask for evidence as to why we were doing what we were doing.
Good lord how I miss the Murrow's, the Cronkite's, etc... who sat at those plain brown desks and had the courage to ask questions. "Better bitter truth than sweet lies"

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is a very interesting, detailed impression (if a little jazzed-up), written in present-tense diary form, of the White House press corps vs. Scott McClellan in 2005 during the Rove-Plame business.
In the last few years, the press has lost all sense of its own mojo. Things bottomed out after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, when any aggressive grilling of the administration branded reporters as unpatriotic, which potentially alienated their audiences. The high emotion surrounding 9/11 and the War on Terror (or the new, improved Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism, which the Beltway kids snarkily refer to as G-SAVE) have made them very useful hostage babies for the administration cowboys to shield themselves with during shootouts with the press. Somehow, aggressive questioning of the White House got spun as a heretical insult to slaughtered American innocents. It was so demoralizing that after a while the press succumbed en masse to what I call the Potomac dinge: passive cooperation in one's own degradation -- the deranged, unconscious complicity that is found in victims of ritual abuse.

"This is the most complacent and complicit media I've ever seen," Helen Thomas, the most senior member of the White House press corps, told me in an interview at her office at Hearst.
"I want everybody to wake up, and say, Is this us?"
I invaded the White House press corps - Salon.com
I suspect there are a few here that don't remember Helen Thomas asking Clinton about Monica when the entire press room went so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

After the past almost eight years, I cannot hardly bring myself to watch the White House press briefings as they are little more than a Paula Zahn like atmosphere where she asked her guest the day after 9-11, "how bad do you feel about what happened"... This is what is to be expected out of our White House press corps these days.

The only purpose it currently serves is to regurgitate the White House talking points and dissent and hard ball questions are now some how out of bounds. What is worse is that people will side with the government desire for passive censorship on this. Even if the press had the stones to ask the tough questions, half the people don't want it asked and the other half will only point it out until someone they support is in office.

The interesting thing I see here is that the press has the power to change this but sadly they lack the courage of convictions to do so. Journalism is dead people... nothing to see... move along and be sure to tune into White House internet radio for your up to the minute news instead.

Not that it really matters as I think people are more than happy to spend the rest of their lives arguing over which sensationalist peddling shock jock is better... Fox, taste great... MSNBC... less filling. rinse, repeat

Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 AM

977 posts, read 1,967,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
They are a pack of liars and propagandists so WHY should he lend them any credibility at all by appearing on their network.He should just shun them as if they do not exist like most other thinking people do.Let the sheeple have THEIR fake news if it makes them feel better.
You must have switched gears somewhere there in mid thought, because I am sure by that statement that you are referring to left wingers and their MSNBC or CNN puppet networks, which have been proven time and time again to have left-wing bias and fabricated or heavily distorted stories that can hardly be classified as journalism. Wheras Fox has been proven time and time agin to be the most fair and balanced network out there. Do I need to post the link again? Liberals are so bad at doing research when the source isn't in bed with their ideology. Oh wait they just don't like doing research at all, otherwise they might know whats really going on.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 AM

31,711 posts, read 41,225,179 times
The press brings this all on themselves. They create their own world and then if it doesn't play out that way they get upset as if their world is where we live. I am no fan of Palin but need to ask the press a few questions about her.
Who are your unnamed sources and has anything they said about her and the rift by McCain staffers actually been verified on the record?
What happened to the Republican lawyer who was traveling to Alaska to retrieve the clothes?
When is this Republican audit suppose to occur that shows how upset they are about the clothing issue.

There were many questions about her that were legitimate and many that have yet to be confirmed by anyone other then their unnamed source. The press sorted out what they wanted about the Clinton/Obama relationship much of it based on snipets and unnamed campaign sources. Now if they don't act the way they think they should from their reporting they now get in a tizzy and that includes Campbell Brown on CNN.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,802,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
When are you right wingnuts going to understand that Obama is snubbing Faux news?
If that's the truth, what are we to expect next when things don't completely go his way? When someone questions his comments, thoughts or decisions??

Will he openly pout as he slams the door on the unfair media bullies?? Or just take his toys from the sandbox and go home??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections