Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
A South Carolina Roman Catholic priest has told his parishioners that they should refrain from receiving Holy Communion if they voted for Barack Obama because the Democratic president-elect supports abortion, and supporting him "constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil." The Rev. Jay Scott Newman said in a letter distributed Sunday to parishioners at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Greenville that they are putting their souls at risk if they take Holy Communion before doing penance for their vote.
While, they aren't "putting their souls at risk" (that's a Catholic thing), he is correct about them materially cooperating with evil. This is why I have always believed that a Christian shouldn't be voting for Democrats. How can one believe what the Bible teaches, and be affiliated with a political party that is anathema toward the Christian religion?

I got all over my sisters case for this very reason. She is a Christian who at one time attended an Assembly of God Church (same as Sarah Palin's church), and believes in the so-called "full Gospel" teachings. Yet she told me during the primary elections that she hated John McCain, and was seriously considering voting for OB. She has absolutely no discernment, and she, like so many others that voted for "that One" had no clue who he is, an extreme leftist Marxist. That is the "change" he wants for America.

That's my position. But, as far as ones salvation goes, one is either saved or not. One cannot lose their salvation. I don't think the Catholics teach "certainty of salvation", however; but, it's taught in Romans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I wonder if they denied communion to McCain supporters too as the Catholic church officially opposes the death penalty.
Another place where the Catholic church departs from the clear teaching of the Bible.

God himself prescribed the death penalty for murder, because it is an offense against God (since man was made in His image).

But, the Catholic church ignores a lot of clear Bible teaching; which is why we had the Reformation in the first place. Now a lot of Protestant churches as well are departing from sound teaching and Biblical principle.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:31 AM

1,935 posts, read 1,826,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What a jerk...I wonder if he's attracted to altar boys?
This post made me laugh. Why punish the people for exercising their right? Separate and stay apart!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 AM

528 posts, read 1,463,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Ambivalence View Post
You can't blame all catholics for what one priest did. There is a lot of Obamaq supporters among priests. My priest tole us he voted his consciense for Obamaq. You people that hate on catholic need to study catholic. Most of the critics and haters doan know a thing about the religion only what somebody tole them. You can't sit in judgement
Well, I know a lot about Catholicism, and during the election, my local Catholic church sent me a lot of newsletters that were created from the local church, and were passed down from the diocese. Many of these messages urged us to vote against Prop 2 (the use of embryos donated by women who have in vitro fertilization for stem cell research) and also urged us to vote for McCain based on the abortion subject.. So, to me, this thinking does come down from the higher-ups within the Catholic church. Yes, some priests take it to another level, but in general, it is fostered from higher above (no pun intended).

Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
God f*** America/you shouldn't take part in communion if you voted for Obama. Both extremely bold statements. Both had no buisness being stated. Both revs are obviously nuts, but I think god f*** America is a little bit more over the top
It wasn't "God f*** America", it was Godd*** America".

I'm not part of the Black community...I cannot begin to understand how frustrated they were at one time with this country (and to some extent, still may be today). That is what Rev. Wright was talking about...the things that we have done in our past, that have been full of hate. I don't believe that he meant it in the context that so many people think he did. Again though, I cannot begin to put myself in the shoes of the Black community. But that is another subject and I certainly don't defend all of the things Rev. Wright said. If nothing else, this comment, and others, spread negativity instead of a positive message, and that I would not appreciate as a parishioner.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
This is why Politics and Religion do not mix. Allowing abortion does not force anyone to have an abortion. Using extra tissue for stem cell research may offend but does not force anyone to provide the embryos.

It is not the government’s job to enforce religious belief on anyone. Religion is Faith not Force.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is why Politics and Religion do not mix. Allowing abortion does not force anyone to have an abortion. Using extra tissue for stem cell research may offend but does not force anyone to provide the embryos.

It is not the government’s job to enforce religious belief on anyone. Religion is Faith not Force.
My sister is a fairly strict Catholic and we were talking about the subject of stem cell research/abortion. We obviously have very different views. Two things that I thought interesting was that she said that"

1) stem cell research creates a dependence on abortion (also there are so many ways to use tissue for SC research that haven't even been tapped into, so why use eggs which create then destroy life)

2) it is a moral responsibility to oppose abortion, meaning we should not allow it because it's a moral statement we're making and it's our responsibility to lead others to a more moral life

I don't agree with her (based on separation of church and state and how morals are tied to religion) but I still found her comments interesting.

My apologies for getting so off-subject here, but it does tie in with how the Catholic religion thinks of these subjects.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:25 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,810,190 times
Sounds like Rev. Jim Jones

Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
One priest in one church. Big deal.
Tip of the iceberg, many hate preachings don't make the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections