Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM

713 posts, read 1,867,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Conservatism today as we know it, I do not believe will exist in the future. I think it will be replaced by Moderatism. That is what the new Rupublican Party will be about.
Then why did a moderate like McCain lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Yeah, but I KNOW that Reagan would be ashamed of the youth who today call themselves conservative Republicans. Being conservative does not mean one hates, it does not mean that one must incite anger, it does not mean one is so anti liberal that he comes across as being UN-AMERICAN.
The same argument could be made for all of the irrational hatred toward Bush. It's pretty dishonest to say that Republicans have cornered the market on hatred.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,870,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
It may not look like it right now, but conservatives won yesterday. It will take less than a year for the Republicans to realize that you cant win with a moderate like McCain, they have to have a real conservative; and the moderates and dems are going to realize that "The Messiah" is not just to the left, he is in the left ditch, and they will vote for anyone but him. Remember conservatives, it took Jimmy Carter to give us Ronald Reagan.
Regan was a mental dinosaur as is most of the conservative thought. I think the trend is moving towards a more holistic and aeare point of view, one that keeps the sheets on the bed, where they belong.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I'm so sick of people using Bush as the "face" of conservatism. Bush is hardly a conservative. If anything the failures of the Bush administration were due to liberal/neo-conservative policies. From the Department of Homeland Security to the Patriot Act to his stance on illegal immigration his administration has been full of ideals that are not conservative. Also let us not forget the $700 Billion bailout and the $250 Billion stock buyout of the largest banks were all done within his administration. How is any of this conservative?

I guess if you mention Jesus in every other speech and lower taxes that makes you a raving conservative . The only true conservative on the Republican ticket this year was Ron Paul, but sadly he makes too much sense therefore can never be president.
Amen to all of that. The far-left is going to destroy itself if it believes that the country has embraced liberalism. There were a lot of conservatives that simply sat out this election or voted libertarian, because there were no conservatives on the ballot this time.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,045,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
wth is a neo conservative and how is it differ from conservative
I'm not sure if this is a serious question. If you google neo-con and then research what true conservative ideals are, there are stark differences - mostly with respect to international involvement, religious/political infringement, and individual liberties.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,308,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
No, you are wrong. The same argument could have been made in the 60's and 70's, but conservatism was revitalized by Ronald Reagan.

Bobby Jindal '12!
I think it is fair to say that Obama is well aware of the failings of Carter and the mistakes of prior presidencies...he took the say approach to the failings of the Kerry campaign 4 years ago. If Obama shows any decline in spending compared to Bush, he still wins the argument that Republicans are now the spenders. You are in the woods for another 8 years. It took the Dems 8 to figure out how to reinvent themselves. If your only hope is Obama will behave like Carter, you might be waiting longer. Cross Ron Paul with Ronald Reagan, and maybe you get back...and try and nominate somebody under 65....

Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,267,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I think it is fair to say that Obama is well aware of the failings of Carter and the mistakes of prior presidencies...he took the say approach to the failings of the Kerry campaign 4 years ago. If Obama shows any decline in spending compared to Bush, he still wins the argument that Republicans are now the spenders. You are in the woods for another 8 years. It took the Dems 8 to figure out how to reinvent themselves. If your only hope is Obama will behave like Carter, you might be waiting longer. Cross Ron Paul with Ronald Reagan, and maybe you get back...and try and nominate somebody under 65....
Don't be so sure Obama will be a two-term Presidency. We don't know how he is going to do. A President doesn't have to be a Carter to be booted out after 4 years.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM

511 posts, read 659,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
It may not look like it right now, but conservatives won yesterday. It will take less than a year for the Republicans to realize that you cant win with a moderate like McCain, they have to have a real conservative; and the moderates and dems are going to realize that "The Messiah" is not just to the left, he is in the left ditch, and they will vote for anyone but him. Remember conservatives, it took Jimmy Carter to give us Ronald Reagan.

http://www.ndol.org/upload_graphics/BP29_economy_chart1.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,241,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I know where you are going with this and all I can say is that I hope actual conservatives show up and make a stand.
As do I.

I can't believe how many people think that George W. Bush is representative of conservatives.

George W. Bush is many things (including crazy and delusional) but he is not a conservative!

Come on Libertarians, we've got 4 years to get ready!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections