Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM

9,415 posts, read 20,977,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Lmao.. Is this the GOP's October Surprise?

We just gave Wall St. 700 Billion dollars. Over the last 8 years we have seen the biggest redistribution of wealth in American history from the Middle Class to the top 2 percent.

Do actually think the middle class is going to care about those comments when Obama's plan put more money in the pockets of the Middle Class?
That's not redistribution though. That's free market. Your point about the Wall Street bailout is correct. However, the top 2 percent EARNED the money. Again, the inference is that it is stolen: however, the top 2 percent of our population goes to work, just like everyone else, and for the most part, earn every penny.

The Obama/Biden plan to take money from these people, however, and to give it to someone else in the form of tax credits, is, by and large, welfare.

Last edited by mike0421; 10-27-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,870,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
With the exception of the News Corporation and a few others, the media is so deep in bed with Obama they'll never give this the coverage and debate it deserves.
Exactly. They are loving the 1,500 thread count sheets!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,041,727 times
Zero's "people" have alread come out saying that we are too dumb to understand the brilliance of the Golden Child and what he said in this audio clip. They are saying that he is ACTUALLY being ultra conservative in this rarefied discussion of the constitution.

GEORGE ORWELL MUST BE ROLLING IN HIS GRAVE!

Hey, it is change you can believe in, right?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That's not redistribution though. That's free market. Your point about the Wall Street bailout is correct. However, the top 2 percent EARNED the money. Again, it was stolen, the top 2 percent of our population goes to work, just like everyone else, and for the most part, earn every penny.

The Obama/Biden plan to take money from these people, however, and to give it to someone else in the form of tax credits, is, by and large, welfare.
Good post!!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,442,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Since I worked in advertising and personally supervised mixing sessions at sound studios, I don't trust "audio" evidence.

Obama has not disputed the audio..

Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,049,014 times
Here's his full quote in context. Not the edited audio designed to confuse.

Nothing new here.

"You know if you look at the victories and the failures of the Civil Rights movement and its litigation strategy in the Court, I think where it succeeded was to invest formal rights in previously dispossessed peoples so that I would now have the right to vote, I would now be able to sit at the lunch counter and order as long as I could pay for it I would be okay.
But the Supreme Court never ventured into the issues of redistribution of wealth and sort of more basic issues of political and economic justice in this society. And to that extent as radical as I think people try to characterize the Warren Court, it wasn't that radical, it didn't break free from the essential constraints that were placed by the Founding Fathers in the Constitution, at least as its been interpreted and the Warren Court interpreted it in the same way that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties says what the states can't do to you, says what the federal government can't do to you, but it doesn't say what the federal government or the state government must do on your behalf and that hasn't shifted.

And one of the I think the tragedies of the Civil Rights movement was because the Civil Rights movement became so court focused I think that there was a tendency to lose track of the political and community organizing and activities on the ground that are able to put together the actual coalitions of power through which you bring about redistributive change and in some ways we still suffer from that."

Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Zero's "people" have alread come out saying that we are too dumb to understand the brilliance of the Golden Child and what he said in this audio clip. They are saying that he is ACTUALLY being ultra conservative in this rarefied discussion of the constitution.

GEORGE ORWELL MUST BE ROLLING IN HIS GRAVE!

Hey, it is change you can believe in, right?
Yea, I read that. They have a Harvard Professor, who is advising Obama, trying to weasel out of that.

Quote:
"What the critics are missing is that the term 'redistribution' didn’t mean in the Constitutional context equalized wealth or anything like that. It meant some positive rights, most prominently the right to education, and also the right to a lawyer," Sunstein said. "What he’s saying – this is the irony of it – he’s basically taking the side of the conservatives then and now against the liberals."
McCain slams Obama on 'redistribution of wealth' - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com
I have some ice to sell in the desert, too! LOL!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,049,014 times
Here's his full quote in context. Not the edited audio designed to confuse.

Nothing new or controversial here. He said the civil rights movement focused too much on change via the courts at the expense of change via their own making by way of politcal and community organizing....[YAWN]

"You know if you look at the victories and the failures of the Civil Rights movement and its litigation strategy in the Court, I think where it succeeded was to invest formal rights in previously dispossessed peoples so that I would now have the right to vote, I would now be able to sit at the lunch counter and order as long as I could pay for it I would be okay.
But the Supreme Court never ventured into the issues of redistribution of wealth and sort of more basic issues of political and economic justice in this society. And to that extent as radical as I think people try to characterize the Warren Court, it wasn't that radical, it didn't break free from the essential constraints that were placed by the Founding Fathers in the Constitution, at least as its been interpreted and the Warren Court interpreted it in the same way that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties says what the states can't do to you, says what the federal government can't do to you, but it doesn't say what the federal government or the state government must do on your behalf and that hasn't shifted.

And one of the I think the tragedies of the Civil Rights movement was because the Civil Rights movement became so court focused I think that there was a tendency to lose track of the political and community organizing and activities on the ground that are able to put together the actual coalitions of power through which you bring about redistributive change and in some ways we still suffer from that."

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,233,107 times
He definitley will be pushing for reparations when he gets elected. That is one of things he thinks the civil rights movement failed to do.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,791,763 times
Thanks for posting that text, padcrasher.

What I understood him to say is that the changes desired got lost in the civil rights movement and that the supreme court wasn't radical enough to address them; that the court was uncomfortable tackling all the issues connected with redistribution of wealth and viewed it (then) as an administrative task.

It's clear, with the direction Obama has taken, that he now believes the courts can be the vehicle to accomplish the changes he wants. If he wins, he'll appoint his judges to do just that.

If you think now that the Constitution has been tampered with, just wait. We won't hardly recognize it after they get through with it.

Reparations? How does he plan to handle all the legal immigrants? Will they be paying reparations also? What for? I'm sure most of them are middle class, so the "wealth" of the middle class will also be redistributed. I knew he was going to get all of us, sooner or later.

Last edited by swbtoo; 10-27-2008 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: add line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections