Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 PM

78 posts, read 120,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Since you basically depend on the US to defend you, it really doesn't matter.
Defend us from what, who? Sorry your fear game is pointless. But if there was any country I would fear an invasion from it would be the US, that is how crazy your country is looking these days. In your quest for empire you have completely ignored international law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
[LEFT]Oct 23, 2008 [/LEFT]

Multilateral diplomacy on the Iran nuclear issue, led by the "Iran Six", is falling to pieces as a result of sharpening disagreements on how to respond to Tehran's defiance of demands from the United Nations Security Council that it suspend uranium-enrichment activities.

Asia Times Online :: Middle East News, Iraq, Iran current affairs

LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
Heck, I heard on the news today that they are all pulling for McCain. Who to believe? Who to believe?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
Or the candles they carried in the streets on 9/11?
That's funny, I saw nothing but celebrating in the streets of Gaza and the West Bank on 9/11 - that is until the media cut it short.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Lets look a little closer at this shall we? Here is what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
This is just too rich, I mean you can't buy this kind of PR from an ad agency.

From the actual article it states they feel he is more flexible and rational

Which is then translated to mean, "weakness".

This is pretty much the essence of faith based life in America. Rational thought is weak...

Whats next, burning liberals at the stake on the White House lawn? Calling Bachmann to the white phone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's a weak an uneducated guess. You think faith based people can't think rational? That's ridiculous.

Is that rational to you?
To start with, you are assuming that I am equating "faith based" with religion, and I'm not although in religion it is pervasive.

Back last year or so, George Bush was quoted as saying he "Creates his own reality" based upon what he believes or has faith in. (note, no mention of religion here)

I quoted from the article where it stated that they believed Obama was flexible and rational, which in almost any society on planet earth would be considered decent, reasonable and even desirable things. To which Sanrene replied with stating that according to them, that flexible and rational means weakness.

We have had too many years in our politics where people equate rational thought with weakness or as though it were something bad. I for one am tired of the assault on reason. This disgust that people have for intellectualism, rational critical thought, the ability to reason or use good judgment is exactly why the United States has regressed into little more than a Banana republic.

Yes, I happen to think that having faith is irrational, but I also happen to think that pure logic and reasoning can not properly function without some emotion, feeling, and the irrationality that is often associated with it. Without emotion, there can be no reason as it would lack the goal of self benefit. However without reason, emotion become regressive to the point of self annihilation.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,485,912 times
Quote:
That's funny, I saw nothing but celebrating in the streets of Gaza and the West Bank on 9/11 - that is until the media cut it short.
Last I heard Gaza and the West Bank aren't in Iran. Unless they moved it for 9/11 then moved it back.

Dude, 2 things.
1. Get a map. 2. get a clue.

World Trade Center Vigil in Tehran at Best Iran Travel.com

Old 10-22-2008, 09:29 PM

78 posts, read 120,830 times
Quote:
It's a dog eat dog world. Put the mushrooms up and look at reality.
That fear game got the US where it is now, despised by most of the world, why would you continue to keep playing it?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Quote:
All the more reason to vote against him. Do you think these countries have the best interests of the US in their hearts?
So, you are arguing that Americans should decide on whom to vote for President based on what Iran prefers? If Iran prefers Obama--not because Obama is "weak," but because Obama offers the greatest hope for diplomacy--then we should not vote for him? We should, instead, vote for someone that the world is sure to see as an antagonist rather than as a possible hope for diplomacy. We should, in other words, vote for someone who thinks war is the answer to any ideological conflict, thereby ramping up the hatred of America the world over. Just because Iran prefers Obama.

Brilliant.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Lets look a little closer at this shall we? Here is what I said:

To start with, you are assuming that I am equating "faith based" with religion, and I'm not although in religion it is pervasive.

Back last year or so, George Bush was quoted as saying he "Creates his own reality" based upon what he believes or has faith in. (note, no mention of religion here)

I quoted from the article where it stated that they believed Obama was flexible and rational, which in almost any society on planet earth would be considered decent, reasonable and even desirable things. To which Sanrene replied with stating that according to them, that flexible and rational means weakness.

We have had too many years in our politics where people equate rational thought with weakness or as though it were something bad. I for one am tired of the assault on reason. This disgust that people have for intellectualism, rational critical thought, the ability to reason or use good judgment is exactly why the United States has regressed into little more than a Banana republic.

Yes, I happen to think that having faith is irrational, but I also happen to think that pure logic and reasoning can not properly function without some emotion, feeling, and the irrationality that is often associated with it. Without emotion, there can be no reason as it would lack the goal of self benefit. However without reason, emotion become regressive to the point of self annihilation.
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/76xx/doc7...LaborForce.pdf

Think about the leadership over the past two and a half decades:

In 2005, the typical hourly wage rate earned by U.S.
workers was 10 percent higher in real (inflation-adjusted)
terms than it was in 1979
, with all of that increase occurring
since 1990. Workers’ hourly wage rates near the bottom
of the wage distribution fell by 10 percent during the
1980s but rose by more than the typical wage rate between
1990 and 2005. The economic factors that led to
an increase in the dispersion of wage rates in the lower
half of the distribution during the 1980s have changed
and reduced this dispersion since 1990.
Changes in the distribution of hourly wages are a useful
barometer of changes in the skills possessed by workers
and in the value that employers place on workers’ skills
and activities.
As employers pay college graduates more
and high school dropouts less, for example, many workers
have an incentive to acquire more education: since 1979,
the percentage of workers with less than a high school education
has dropped by half, and the percentage with a
bachelor’s degree has risen by more than half.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 10-22-2008 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,170,224 times
Quote:
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/76xx/doc7...LaborForce.pdf

Think about the leadership over the past two and a half decades:

In 2005, the typical hourly wage rate earned by U.S.
workers was 10 percent higher in real (inflation-adjusted)
terms than it was in 1979
, with all of that increase occurring
since 1990. Workers’ hourly wage rates near the bottom
of the wage distribution fell by 10 percent during the
1980s but rose by more than the typical wage rate between
1990 and 2005. The economic factors that led to
an increase in the dispersion of wage rates in the lower
half of the distribution during the 1980s have changed
and reduced this dispersion since 1990.
Changes in the distribution of hourly wages are a useful
barometer of changes in the skills possessed by workers
and in the value that employers place on workers’ skills
and activities.
As employers pay college graduates more
and high school dropouts less, for example, many workers
have an incentive to acquire more education: since 1979,
the percentage of workers with less than a high school education
has dropped by half, and the percentage with a
bachelor’s degree has risen by more than half.
I know TN used a lot of big words, but this has nothing to do with what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections