Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,817,824 times

Advertisements

McCain hates the troops, or is it that the troops just hate him?

McCain's Voting Record: He Does Not Support Our Troops and Veterans (http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/articleid/9559 - broken link)

The AFL-CIO is mobilizing union members who are military veterans to work against Republican presidential candidate John McCain and other office seekers it opposes, officials said Thursday.

AFL-CIO Organizing Vets Against McCain In Battleground States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,145,061 times
Unions mobilizing against a Republican. Stop the presses.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,817,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Unions mobilizing against a Republican. Stop the presses.
\

Point is they are VETERAN union members.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM

26,235 posts, read 49,118,040 times
McCain's popularity with military veterans is dropping as his lack of support for the Veteran's Administration is made known, as was his opposition to the new G.I. Bill.

I'm sure McCain's opposition to the V.A. is designed to underfund it so badly that it becomes such a disgrace that it's shut down, and we start writing checks to for-profit hospitals like the ones owned by HCA, a firm once owned by the family of Senator Frist of TN. It's all about the money with the GOP, always. Greed rules their crooked souls.

The National Chamber of Commerce is always lobbying against anything run by the military, to include the PX and Commissary systems, so that military paychecks get spent at Wal-Mart and a ton of other corporate places. Greed. Greed. Greed.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,257,428 times
All I hear is how government needs to cut down spending and spasms over the deficit.....but then when a candidate says "Hey, we can't AFFORD this"....everyone wants to be backseat politicians and gripe.

The bill in question would bring back the financial support our WW2 veterans had. This includes full tuition, room and board. A VERY costly expense. At this time they are getting a little over $1000 a month towards college. Is it enough? Probably not unless they also work a job and saved while they were in the military while getting discounted/free housing, food, and other expenses.

I'm not saying our service members are over paid or don't deserve the chance of an education, but trying to foot the bill of an entire education and living expense of each member wanting to go to college....is a HUGE expense. Making the decision to sign this bill should not be done in haste.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 AM

26,235 posts, read 49,118,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
All I hear is how government needs to cut down spending and spasms over the deficit.....but then when a candidate says "Hey, we can't AFFORD this"....everyone wants to be backseat politicians and gripe.

The bill in question would bring back the financial support our WW2 veterans had. This includes full tuition, room and board. A VERY costly expense. At this time they are getting a little over $1000 a month towards college. Is it enough? Probably not unless they also work a job and saved while they were in the military while getting discounted/free housing, food, and other expenses.

I'm not saying our service members are over paid or don't deserve the chance of an education, but trying to foot the bill of an entire education and living expense of each member wanting to go to college....is a HUGE expense. Making the decision to sign this bill should not be done in haste.
I added the color, for emphasis.

The vets DESERVE it. Period.

Here are the one who do NOT deserve our taxpayer money:
- Billions for oil loopholes and "incentives"
- Billions for corn ethanol
- Billions for farm subsidies
- Trillion dollar tax cut in 2001 for the wealthy who did NOT need it, nor have they done anything useful with that money.

The vets DESERVE it, the other federal teat suckers do NOT.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,741,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I added the color, for emphasis.

The vets DESERVE it. Period.

Here are the one who do NOT deserve our taxpayer money:
- Billions for oil loopholes and "incentives"
- Billions for corn ethanol
- Billions for farm subsidies
- Trillion dollar tax cut in 2001 for the wealthy who did NOT need it, nor have they done anything useful with that money.

The vets DESERVE it, the other federal teat suckers do NOT.
"The vets DESERVE it, the other federal teat suckers do NOT" -
you got that right

Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,340,283 times
Default hmmmmm

Funny, every report or news cast that I see when the current troops, whether at home or over seas, are asked who they support, it is usually said McCain.
Tells ya something eh?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,255,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
\

Point is they are VETERAN union members.
I'm a Veteran and I don't hate McCain..

We all know unions support the democrats, tell us somethin new. But NOT all union members support the democrats.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post

Funny, every report or news cast that I see when the current troops, whether at home or over seas, are asked who they support, it is usually said McCain.
Tells ya something eh?
I work in a military community overseas and I'm hearing the opposite.
And a lot of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections