Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,473,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Hopefully some people will wake up!
I agree. He with the most money has an advantage and Obama knew this when he rejected Federal funding in place of private - he's not a stupid man, he wants to win, and that takes money, lots of it. He's outspent McCain 2 to 1. The entire point of reforming campaign financing is to curb the influence of money on our elections - making the playing field "fair." But if it's in the candidates favor that many people support then their okay with it. Who knows where this election would be if McCain went back on his word like BO. You'd think that the American people would be offended with the idea that money is what truly dictates this election process but for some reason it's ignored. Also, the tax cuts. Nothing says "vote for me" like a potential check that will come from the Federal government if Obama wins even to people who don't pay taxes.

People should allow for the fact that their candidate does things that is questionable - McCain's not perfect, Obama's not perfect. I have to question anyone who defends someone so adamantly to the point where they refuse to see any flaws... and Obama has flaws. There are many people who like the idea that there's monetary compensation for electing a candidate - on both sides - so no one should pretend that money is not an issue because we all know that it is. Of course, many people believe in all of the "hope" and change slogans but for others... it's about what Obama has to offer monetarily... so the OP has some merit in his case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,851,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I agree. He with the most money has an advantage and Obama knew this when he rejected Federal funding in place of private - he's not a stupid man, he wants to win, and that takes money, lots of it. He's outspent McCain 2 to 1. You'd think that the American people would be offended with the idea that money is what truly dictates this election process but for some reason it's ignored. Also, the tax cuts. Nothing says "vote for me" like a potential check that will come from the Federal government if Obama wins even to people who don't pay taxes.

People should allow for the fact that their candidate does things that is questionable - McCain's not perfect, Obama's not perfect. I have to question anyone who defends someone so adamantly to the point where they refuse to see any flaws... and Obama has flaws. There are many people who like the idea that there's monetary compensation for electing a candidate - on both sides - so no one should pretend that money is not an issue because we all know that it is. Of course, many people believe in all of the "hope" and change slogans but for others... it's about what Obama has to offer monetarily... so the OP has some merit in his case.
Exactly!!! I would also be offended if this was being done by any party!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,788,319 times
Um, most of his campaign financing comes directly from the contributions of the American people. And if the American people are the ones "buying the election", shouldn't that be okay? I mean, republican voters can also donate to McCain, unless I am mistaken. I know that I have personally donated $100 to the Obama campaign. It's all I can afford, but I'm more than willing to help the cause.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,353,315 times
Didn't Bush outspend Gore 3 to 1 (or more if you count PAC's)? Big Oil, Wall Street, The Saudi's. Hmmm. All Obama has are 4,000,000 concerned citizens. [before somebody yells fire, yes, and a couple of unions]

Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,851,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Um, most of his campaign financing comes directly from the contributions of the American people. And if the American people are the ones "buying the election", shouldn't that be okay? I mean, republican voters can also donate to McCain, unless I am mistaken. I know that I have personally donated $100 to the Obama campaign. It's all I can afford, but I'm more than willing to help the cause.
It's going to cause trouble now and in the future. We need to implement spending caps.

It's dishonest for any party not to disclose who all their contributors are.

When the foreign world, who has no love for America, wants Obama in - there is something rotten in Denmark.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times
Quote:
The fact thet you'll be getting $500 back soon pretty much means you signed into a pyramid scheme, whatever it takes I guess.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,788,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The fact thet you'll be getting $500 back soon pretty much means you signed into a pyramid scheme, whatever it takes I guess.
I don't expect anything back. I don't care if I get anything back. I just want to make sure the best man has the means to win. Is that a hard concept to realize?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM

690 posts, read 1,016,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Hopefully some people will wake up!

Obama is not buying the presidency....

WE ARE!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times
Quote:
I don't expect anything back. I don't care if I get anything back. I just want to make sure the best man has the means to win. Is that a hard concept to realize?
You dont care if Obama is lying to you to get your vote?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,559,755 times
It is clear just who all the "Joe the Plumbers" out here are funding with our own monies! I guess when we see a good cause we like to spread our wealth to make sure he wins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections