Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 03:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,030,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
You do know that Joe the Plumber is not all he says he is?

'Joe the plumber' and Obama̢۪s tax plan - The Debates - MSNBC.com
I had no idea! So he was either a plant or Camp McSame should have investigated before putting Joe on a pedestal.. gosh darn that liberal media, gotcha Joe's campaign again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,662,916 times
Quote:
1) Joe is not licensed because he is working under a licensed contractor and doesn't need one at the moment.
I don't think Joe's boss, the actual business owner is going to appreciate all this attention

Quote:
Mr. Wurzelbacher said he works under Al Newell’s license, but according to Ohio building regulations, he must maintain his own license to do plumbing work.

He is also not registered to operate as a plumber in Ohio, which means he’s not a plumber.

Mr. Wurzelbacher said he was hired by Mr. Newell six years ago and that the possibility of him eventually buying the company was discussed during his job interview.

He said it’s his understanding he can work under Mr. Newell’s license as long as the licensed contractor works on the same site.

Mr. Wurzelbacher said he is working on taking the Ohio plumbing contractors’ license test.

Mr. Wurzelbacher’s notoriety has raised the ire of Tom Joseph, business manager for Local 50 of the United Association of Plumbers, Steamfitters, and Service Mechanics, who claimed that Mr. Wurzelbacher didn’t undergo any apprenticeship training.

"When you have guys going out there with no training whatsoever, it’s a little disreputable to start with," Mr. Joseph said. "We’re the real Joe the Plumber."

Mr. Joseph said Mr. Wurzelbacher could only legally work in the townships, but not in any municipality in Lucas County or elsewhere in the country.

"This individual has got no schooling, no licenses, he’s never been to a training program, union or non-union, in the United States of America," Mr. Joseph said.
toledoblade.com -- 'Joe the plumber' isn’t licensed

Old 10-16-2008, 03:38 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,821,491 times
My wife, who is completely apolitical, listened to the debate last night, and spoke about Joe the plumber. She had no ax to grind with either candidate in either of the past two debates, and in fact, told me she preferred Obama's demeanor and poise. However, after this issue came up in the debate last night, and she understood it with more clarity, she told me she intends to vote for McCain. However, the dentist she works for is a hardcore supporter for Obama. Who knows if he'll persuade her back the other way!

As for me, I still can't vote for McCain because I am strongly opposed to his immigration stances. That issue is too important to ignore, and it seems both candidates have successfully subverted this issue from their campaigns.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:40 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Joe, just like McCain and his "fans" is a blatant liar.

“There’s a lot I’ve got to learn” about the plumbing business, Wurzelbacher said Thursday. Wurzelbacher also acknowledged that he had no specific plans for buying Newell’s business, saying he and Newell had simply talked about the idea from time to time. He might have difficulty making the purchase: Court records from his divorce show that Wurzelbacher made $40,000 in 2006.
Even if he did buy Newell Plumbing and Heating, Obama’s tax plan wouldn’t affect him. While Wurzelbacher told Obama that the business would be taxed at a higher rate because it grossed more than $250,000 a year, Ohio business records show the company’s estimated total annual revenue as only $100,000.
In any event, Obama’s tax plan specifies that the higher rate would apply only to revenue above the $250,000 threshold. For a company with revenue of $280,000, the top end of Wurzelbacher’s supposition, only the extra $30,000 would be taxed at a higher rate.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Joe the Plumber has already been shown to not work...Lets show an ad that will not work...He so needs to fire his entire campaign...

I love how Joe said he is going to raise his taxes...like he is a business owner...Oh snap...he really isn't... An ad based on Joe who is panning out to be a liar. Effective.

Bash the man for aspirations. In reality any smart person interested in starting a business would do the due diligence of researching if it's a viable option. New news though from the left.....doing that research is bad bad.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times
[URL="http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/1008/Joe_not_a_licensed_plumber_McCains_enthusiasm_not_ diminished.html"]Jonathan Martin's Blog: Joe not a licensed plumber, McCain's enthusiasm not diminished - Politico.com[/URL]

Gee, Joe doesn't pay his taxes either???

[URL]http://www.progressohio.org/page/community/post/daveharding/CHv8[/URL]

Here is some fact checking about Obama's tax plan and how it affects Joe.
[URL]http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/15/smallbusiness/small_biz_taxes_factcheck.smb/?postversion=2008101611[/URL]

BTW now Joe admits he couldn't buy the plumbing business anyway, but "if he wanted to in the future" he doesn't want to pay higher taxes. I know an awful lot of successful business people, and by the time they're done paying their employees and writing off all their expenses, they do not have a net income of more than $250,000. Even people I've worked for who own businesses worth millions don't pay themselves that kind of a salary. Joe needs to call a plumber, since he's so full of ......

Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,461,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Joe the Plumber has already been shown to not work...Lets show an ad that will not work...He so needs to fire his entire campaign...

I love how Joe said he is going to raise his taxes...like he is a business owner...Oh snap...he really isn't... An ad based on Joe who is panning out to be a liar. Effective.
Ya know you all need to remember that Joe the plumber is NOT running for office.
So I would be very careful how you slander him!
Somebody could get sued!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:46 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,662,916 times
Update:

Quote:
(Update No. 2: An Ohio TV station, NBC24, attempts to answer the question of what kind of license Joe needs:

"A representative with Toledo Building Inspection says a plumber must be registered with the state and only then may they apply for a Toledo Plumbing Contractor's license.

Al Newell is a licensed plumbing contractor in the city of Toledo. Anyone working under him should have a journeyman's plumbing license or an apprenticeship license. According to Toledo Building Inspection, Newell is responsible for making sure anyone working under him is licensed.

Joe Wurzelbacher does not have an Ohio or city plumbing license.

The City of Toledo Plumbing Board of Control may consider a punishment for Wurzelbacher and/or Newell.")

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
That tax talk stuff fires up the conservatives. Do you honestly believe a small business owner who earns over 250K would care if he paid 900- 1500 dollars extra in taxes?
Where do you people come up with these numbers? I keep seeing them but no one has facts backing them up.
The Effects of Obama's Economic Plans on Small Business

Barack Obama wants John McCain to discuss the economy and not his character. Fine let’s discuss his plan to raise self-employment tax on those making more than $250,000. The sole proprietor and partnership rate would rise from 37.9 per cent all the way up to a staggering 50.3 per cent. S corporation would rise from 35 per cent to 39.6 per cent. 500 employees is the maximum number in most industries to be categorized for a small business.
Obama plans on giving a tax cut to 95 per cent of all working families with children, spending money on programs he believes in, such as universal health care. All of this will be done without raising taxes for the average American earning less than $250,000.
Now where is the money for this 95% tax cut coming from? Small businesss owners? Take from the rich and give to the poor, like Robin Hood. Except the rich in this case, are small business owners. Isn’t this redistribution of wealth?

What will our country look like where two-thirds of all small business income would be taxed at 50 per cent. Fewer Americans would be interested in opening or expanding small businesses. Tax evasion and legal tax avoidance would make a dramatic move upward. Tax shelters would become a booming industry again.

Turns out Joe is exactly what he says....Pesky of us Americans to trust another one of us if the disagree with "the one"

1,836 posts, read 3,184,786 times
Joe the Plumber is an unlicensed, lying, relative of Charles Keating.

That McCain would use him as a campaign prop speaks volume's of the course the McCain camp has continued to stay on.

It's sad that a man who speaks of "country first", is putting COUNTRY LAST by trying to sell Americans a potential presidency based on trickery and lies.

McCAin feels like he is entitled to the highest office in our land and will stoop to any level to push his agenda.

He's a sad old man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections