Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 PM

158 posts, read 405,967 times

Advertisements

The US Navy Sailor's Creed includes a statement to proudly serve with Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

As a Naval officer with 27 years of military I have recently come to question McCain's honor, courage and commitment.

He is running a dirty, dishonorable campaign for president.
He lacks the personal courage to rise above gutter politics.
His commitment is to himself and his personal ambitions instead of a commitment to our country and constitution.

Just my own opinion. I used to respect and support McCain but now I believe he is pandering and playing to the right-wing 'base' to his detriment and to the detriment of our democracy. So sad and needless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,291,321 times
"Sad and needless" are the operative words here, in my opinion. Why did he do this? Why?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,299,384 times
Thank you for your service. My father and grandfather are both Navy vets.

It's sad that John McCain's heroism decades ago did not translate to future honorable behavior. People do change, and he has decided to his detriment that he would do anything and say anything to get elected. Ambition first, country last.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:56 PM

838 posts, read 923,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugetsoundman View Post
The US Navy Sailor's Creed includes a statement to proudly serve with Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

As a Naval officer with 27 years of military I have recently come to question McCain's honor, courage and commitment.

He is running a dirty, dishonorable campaign for president.
He lacks the personal courage to rise above gutter politics.
His commitment is to himself and his personal ambitions instead of a commitment to our country and constitution.

Just my own opinion. I used to respect and support McCain but now I believe he is pandering and playing to the right-wing 'base' to his detriment and to the detriment of our democracy. So sad and needless.
Are you really who you say you are....

Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,966,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Why question? I mean, Wesley Clark said McCain is not a good choice.

[youtube]c5bYzL2y7xQ[/youtube]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bYzL2y7xQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Wes Clark on "Morning Joe" takes on McCain and defends Obama[/URL]

He said McCain's only answer to conflict is the use of force and that force should be the last resort.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Yes, I am ...

Quote:
Oh, yes. My biography is pretty long. I joined the Army as an enlisted man in 1978 after seven years of college but no degree (like the line in the movie). After a few years as a medic in the 82nd Airborne Division, I finished my degree and applied to med school. In 1985 I finished med school and re-entered the Army. Eventually, after internship, a year as a GMO, anesthesiology residency at Wash U in St. Louis, and 9 more years in the Army, I got out and moved back to Illinois in 1998. In 2000 I supported McCain for his run against the Bush empire. In 2001 I joined the Navy Reserve and drilled with the 3-24 Marine Regiment in St. Louis for a couple of years. After that I switched to the Fleet Hospital at Great Lakes NTC north of Chicago to be closer to home. More recently, last January I sort of semi-retired (I wish) and moved to the Puget Sound area where I can take a lot more time off work to pursue other interests like sea kayaking and woodworking.

I am who I say I am. I am a liberal on social issues and a conservative on foreign policy issues. I have made plenty of money and pay my share of taxes. I recognize the need to rein in entitlement spending and military spending to get our budget under control. The Bush tax cuts benefited me significantly but have bancrupted the country. Bush's post-war policies in Iraq have been devastating to our world wide reputation and economy.

McCain's time was in 2000. I had lived in Texas when Bush was governor and anticipated his disasterous policies. Bush is just not up to the task and his puppet masters were chosen for him. In 2000 I saw McCain as a war hero, moderate Republican with conservative fiscal policies and bi-partisan support. No longer. Now I am an Obama supporter. McCain is just too old and has significant health issues. He has turned to the most extreme members of the GOP to get the nomination and try to get elected. McCain's choice of Palin as his running mate clinched it for me. McCain's true nature has been revealed by the difficult campaign. His ambition to be president is extreme. Honor, Courage and Commitment? These concepts are not applicable to John McCain in this campaign.

Obama has the political center locked up, he is much more moderate than portrayed by the right wingers. I expect Obama to win by a landslide. We'll see though. The McCain/Rove campaign has a lot of dirty tricks up their sleeve and is working hard to disenfranchise anyone who isn't likely to vote their way. If they can't steal your vote outright they will shout you down to silence you. Very sad way to run a presidential campaign, IMO.

Last edited by Pugetsoundman; 10-13-2008 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Default I'm an independent voting, highly educated professional ....

Quote:
I was thinking about your posting a little more and I decided that I resent your implication that I am not who I say I am. It made me wonder who YOU are and so I did a search on your postings. They speak for themselves and I DON'T THINK WE HAVE MUCH IN COMMON. Too bad for you....

Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Do you think McCain should have created his own campaign team instead of going to Rove, Schmidt, and crew? He would be the leader of such an operation and that certainly inspires energy and commitment. As it is he appears to sometimes be doing as told, sometimes striking out on his own... seems that way anyway - kind of hard to follow.

It seems so clear, at least in hindsight, that the Republican Party wasn't planning to invest much money or manpower in a presidential campaign that wasnt a guaranteed, lead-pipe shoo-in. Could McCain have known this from the outset?

Interesting to wonder anyway.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 PM

Default McCain is in charge ....

of his own campaign. I wouldn't say that Bush, Jr was in charge of his campaign but I have no doubt that McCain is running his campaign. Of course, he has brought on the GOP power broker broker kingmakers but McCain retains full control. He is not the type to pass control to anyone else. That is one of his strong points and it is one of the reasons the right wing was so long in embracing him. They couldn't control him like they could control Bush.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,852,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why question? I mean, Wesley Clark said McCain is not a good choice.

YouTube - Wes Clark on "Morning Joe" takes on McCain and defends Obama

He said McCain's only answer to conflict is the use of force and that force should be the last resort.
Wesley Clark is a puppet for the Democratic party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections