Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times

Advertisements

The Political Carnival: Obama gets more military contributions than the P.O.W. candidate

Quote:
Largely as a result of “dissatisfaction with the course of the war under President Bush and with the treatment of veterans returning home,” Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) is collecting more in military contributions than is Sen. John McCain (R-AZ). The AP reports, “Among people who have donated at least $200 to a presidential campaign this election cycle, Obama has collected more than $327,000 from those identifying themselves as military personnel, while McCain has collected $224,000.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Very interesting and you know you will probably not here from his naysayers and they will try to ignore and hope to move your infomative post away from the independent readers view.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:50 AM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
Obama was for the new GI Bill which increases education entitlements up to around $80,000..... McCain was against it because he thinks it would encourage service members to get out of the military.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Obama was for the new GI Bill which increases education entitlements up to around $80,000..... McCain was against it because he thinks it would encourage service members to get out of the military.
You beat me to it. I was going to make the very same point. McCain has voted against...or just not shown up to vote...for several bills that would help the soliders and the veterans.

Here is another thing that REALLY bugs me. Ft. Huachuca, Arizona is the home of a large part of the "Transitional Soldier" program. This is the program the Army has set up to help those soldiers who are returning with specific types of injuries and tramas. It is a prototype program that is vital to the welfare of the returning warriors. Well, a few months ago they had a special type of "open house" for those in the senate and congress. This gave those voting on the bills that impact the soldiers and veterans a chance to actually meet these wounded and tramatized warriors and to see the programs in place to treat them. Well, several folks showed up but guess who didn't. Senator McCain of Arizona. The people in charge of the program were SURE that he would come. After all...he makes being a veteran a focus of his political resume AND he is the Senator from Arizona. If you think the folks in the Army aren't talking about his "no show" then you have another think a coming.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:06 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Is it safe to assume that the troops will be political pawns yet again as they die for Iraqi Freedoms?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Maybe military personel are hearing the repubs whose attitude towards their sacrifices , deaths, maimings is

"So what? people die in wars? No big deal" , You Asked for It"""

Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
That seems like a big reason for it, along with his war policies in general.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
I was in the military for 20+ years and just retired a couple years ago, and I agree with McCain. I have had enough sniveling Sailors tell me they didn't even want to go to sea. Hello, it's the Navy!!! "But Chief... I just wanted the education benefits."

This will be a big boon to dissatisfied troops, and encourage a mentality of "4 and out!!!" Meaning they don't have to work hard and can get bad evaluations. As long as they don't get "kicked out" (and even that would have to be bad conduct, because general discharges are changed to honorable conditions after a period of time).

Yeah.. smart move.. great for unit cohesion, morale, good order and discipline!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Maybe military personel are hearing the repubs whose attitude towards their sacrifices , deaths, maimings is

"So what? people die in wars? No big deal" , You Asked for It"""
I know you're quoting people on this very forum

as well as more famous masters of war http://www.awolbush.com/whoserved.html

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 AM

509 posts, read 691,339 times
Obama actually cares about them.
He would not have sent them to die in Iraq at best flawed reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections