Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/wa...rssnyt&emc=rss

TaxProf Blog: CBO Reports Tax Revenue Gusher in 2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM

690 posts, read 1,016,532 times
Good news! Time for the rich to earn their money!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,173,619 times
Isn't it funny that repugs don't mind "redistribution of wealth" if it goes to the wealthy....they only think it's "commie" if it goes to the middle income or poor people !!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!

Where have you BEEN the last two weeks...the last year!!

CEOs make BILLIONS and PEOPLE ARE OUT OF WORK NOW!!!!!!

NOW they are out of work.

YOUR tax money just went to pay for the bloated wages of people who caused this economic disaster!

It would be nice if CEO were SCARED into being decent HONEST human beings....ain't gonna ever happen so don't worry.
Reality check.. CEO's do not make BILLIONS, they make millions, and people are out of work because CEO's LAY THEM OFF..

Do you understand that CEO's are not going to tap into their own paycheck when taxes go up? They will lay people off, they will raise prices, they will ask for bailouts, whatever it takes.. You should be smart enough to know this..

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
"Chief Executive Magazine"; sounds like an ego magazine for the "CEO"s of every "Mary Sue Jones Avon Products" and "Billy Bobs Mortgages and Storm Door Installers". This might be a useful poll if we knew the market capitalization, number of employees and net income of the "corporations" that these titans of industry oversee.

I've started, operated and sold 4 business in my life, not counting the one I still operate. I've NEVER called myself a CEO, or any other fancy title, nor have I ever heard of this magazine.

golfgod
Chief Executive is published eight times a year and delivered to a controlled circulation of 42,025* CEOs, presidents, chairmen, vice-chairmen and other top management executives. Total readership exceeds 228,000*.

That took 2 seconds.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Didn't John McCain just say Tuesday night that he wants Buffet to be his Treasury Secretary?
Nope.. that would be Obama, as if Buffet has any interest in taking a pay cut and giving up ownership in his companies to become Treasury Secretary...

Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 AM

167 posts, read 474,399 times
Corporate CEO's are often (though not in all cases with a few notable exceptions) the real terrorists of the USA

Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM

472 posts, read 873,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Job Creators Prefer John McCain 4-to-1 Over Barack Obama

Chief Executive magazine’s most recent polling of 751 CEOs shows that GOP presidential candidate John McCain is the preferred choice for CEOs. According to the poll, which is featured on the cover of Chief Executive’s most recent issue, by a four-to-one margin, CEOs support Senator John McCain over Senator Barack Obama. Moreover, 74 percent of the executives say they fear that an Obama presidency would be disastrous for the country.

Job Creators Prefer John McCain 4-to-1 Over Barack Obama | Articles | Chief Executive - The magazine for the Chief Executive Officer

For the record... most CEO's of Fortune 500's with the exception of finance have contributed more to outsourcing than job creation. The Mantra of this decade was to do more... with less.

And I thought most of Bush's job creation was related to small business... there wasn't explosive job growth among Fortune 500's this decade.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
The economy is collapsing now WITH and BECAUSE of big corporations. How could it get worse?
If all the big corps. collapsed the economy would be much worse than it is now. If those that are teetering on the verge of bankruptcy because of the effects the bad ones collapsing have had (credit issues/etc.) have their taxes raised it may push them over the edge, or they may decide to outsource more. It's been in the news the big squeeze retailers are in due to suspected poor sales this holiday season when many of them either make it or break it, many of them rely on credit (foolish to do but that's the reality at the moment). Now let's say they have a very bad year as they believe they will, they may be just dragging through and staying in business just barely, hoping for better sales to improve things soon. Then they get a big tax increase. What might happen? Possibly one or more could go bankrupt. Millions of jobs lost, directly and indirectly. I am no fan of big corporations, I have railed against them in the past on this board, but in the interest of preventing a total collapse we can't be making rushed decisions based on emotional responses to events. Taxing the big evil CEO's sounds appealing in light of what some of them have done but we should be careful not to make such rash decisions when the consequences may not be so pretty.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
Good let's destroy the people that pay the vast majority of the taxes.

Do you people even know how to do research or do you just like spitting out garbage hoping someone will "feel you're pain"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections