Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
You see, this is where the McCain supporters lose me...you want to make a point about the carry over effects/credit a prior presidency should get (like Bush Sr. for Clinton). A point worthy of debate. I might not agree, I'll debate though...then you close with the bigoted "Barrack hussein obama" thing...so who can take you seriously. You were never voting for the dark-skinned dude anyway.

To the point of prior presidencies impacting the following term (e.g. Bush Sr. was the reason why Clinton did so well)...how come it doesn't count when you compare another 4-year presidency, Bush Jr.'s first term, to the following term....his second in office???
Jrpofess,

Sadly you're fighting a loosing battle. Many have been conditioned by the way our politicians behave to reason in sound-bites and 'gotchas'.

The facts don't matter, history can be rewritten, just come out with something that sounds cute that people will remember..

Just goes to show you that some people think with their gonads, not their brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times
Talking Who is More Likely to Help the Economy: Republicans

No doubt!

Just look at how republican policy over the past eight years has strengthened the economy far above where it was in the 90s.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
... or you may choose to look at how the democratic congress did absolutely nothing in the last 2 years to change the course of events when they had control of both the house and the senate and actually may have, in fact, made things worse for taxpayers in the last week. living in the past does nothing to change the future.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
... or you may choose to look at how the democratic congress did absolutely nothing in the last 2 years to change the course of events when they had control of both the house and the senate and actually may have, in fact, made things worse for taxpayers in the last week. living in the past does nothing to change the future.
One quick question:

Are federal regulatory agencies an administration or congressional responsibility?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,798,243 times
This is definitely an election that will produce a sea change in American politics and society.

First it was the Enrons and corporate finance scandals leading to Sarbanes-Oxley.

Now it is the mortgage industry scandals leading to the bailout and I am sure "Sarbanes-Oxley II".

In a couple years it will be the Health Insurance Companies.

We are finally seeing the End Results of the Free Market System. Unlicensed and Unchecked Greed and Corruption. The Elite Win, and the Rest of Us Suckers Lose.

Time to Rethink Everything.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Hear me out. I've done a lot of research recently on how the economy works. Here is my conclusion. Let me know what you think.

For the economy to recover, Americans and the American government need to do an about face. They need to:
- Stop borrowing
- Start paying back debts
- Stop consuming
- Start saving
- Start investing savings on productive uses
- Start manufacturing and exporting

Here are examples of how the Republicans have helped/will help:
- Deductions on equipment purchases
- Keeping taxes low on small business
- Keeping regulations low on small business
- Not taxing capital gains on RE sales if reinvested
- Raise caps on retirement investments
- Smaller government spending
- Advocating sound personal financial management

Here's how the Democrats have hurt/will hurt:
- Increased government spending
- Social programs like the Community Reinvestment Act that started the housing crisis
- Burdening small business: increased income taxation, mandated healthcare, lowered FMLA cap, etc.
- Lacking appreciation for the role of manufacturing: removing the equipment deduction, etc.
- Redistributing wealth through increased taxation, disencentivizing hard working Americans and employers.
- No emphasis personal accountability or sound personal financial management

Printing dollars and redistributing wealth through increased taxation are not the answers.
Thanks, I enjoyed that brief little spin through FantasyLand.

I'm just so ready to believe the party of borrowing and spending like a drunken sailor will lead us to financial bliss

Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
You see, this is where the McCain supporters lose me...you want to make a point about the carry over effects/credit a prior presidency should get (like Bush Sr. for Clinton). A point worthy of debate. I might not agree, I'll debate though...then you close with the bigoted "Barrack hussein obama" thing...so who can take you seriously. You were never voting for the dark-skinned dude anyway.

To the point of prior presidencies impacting the following term (e.g. Bush Sr. was the reason why Clinton did so well)...how come it doesn't count when you compare another 4-year presidency, Bush Jr.'s first term, to the following term....his second in office???
Nice job Jrprofess telling it like it is AND ending with a smoking gun of sorts. You should change your name to "SnrProfess" now.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Hear me out. I've done a lot of research recently on how the economy works. Here is my conclusion. Let me know what you think.

For the economy to recover, Americans and the American government need to do an about face. They need to:
- Stop borrowing
- Start paying back debts
- Stop consuming
- Start saving
- Start investing savings on productive uses
- Start manufacturing and exporting

Here are examples of how the Republicans have helped/will help:
- Deductions on equipment purchases
- Keeping taxes low on small business
- Keeping regulations low on small business
- Not taxing capital gains on RE sales if reinvested
- Raise caps on retirement investments
- Smaller government spending
- Advocating sound personal financial management

Here's how the Democrats have hurt/will hurt:
- Increased government spending
- Social programs like the Community Reinvestment Act that started the housing crisis
- Burdening small business: increased income taxation, mandated healthcare, lowered FMLA cap, etc.
- Lacking appreciation for the role of manufacturing: removing the equipment deduction, etc.
- Redistributing wealth through increased taxation, disencentivizing hard working Americans and employers.
- No emphasis personal accountability or sound personal financial management

Printing dollars and redistributing wealth through increased taxation are not the answers.
The points in your partisan post are irrelevant these days.

Obama is keeping abreast of ideas and plans for the new tighter fiscal policies, for the US and the world, that the IMF just today officially recommended writing. I suspect he knows why the bailout of the banks was necessary and knows what paths the US is considering and why - and as if not more importantly, knows and talks with the people who are involved with making success happen. World class financial experts want to be in his cabinet - not just old friends and pals, or advisors trusted because of their political slant.

We hear nothing from McCain, or his advisor-buddy Deregulation Phil, on this topic - nothing relevant to the present situation anyway.

Last edited by delusianne; 10-08-2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: took out adjective "hack" and snippy concluding comment.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I agree we need 8 more years of this prosperity.
Vote
McCain/Palin/Bush/Graham 08
No doubt, you're being highly sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections