Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should college adjunct professor Andrew Hallam be fired
Yes 51 47.66%
No 51 47.66%
Not Sure 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,333,004 times

Advertisements

Denver college professor assigns students to write essay critical of Gov. Sarah Palin...

cbs4denver.com - Metro State Professor Investigated For Palin Essay Assignment (http://cbs4denver.com/local/palin.essay.denver.2.820285.html - broken link)
Shaun Boyd

DENVER (CBS4) ― Metro State College is investigating a professor who asked students to write an essay critical of Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin. One student said the instructor singled out Republican students in the class and allowed others to ridicule them.

The adjunct professor, Andrew Hallam, stayed silent Thursday as he took his class on a field trip to an art museum. Hallam said he would issue a statement Thursday, but none came.

The college said Hallam will continue working during the investigation.

"I was shocked, I was holy cow, this is just an open door for him to discuss politics with us," Jana Barber first told CBS4 Wednesday, a student in the class.

Barber shared the class' first assignment with CBS4 Wednesday. Hallam asked students to write an essay to contradict what he called the 'fairy tale image of Palin' presented at the Republican National Convention.

Barber filed an official complaint with the college which triggered the investigation.

"What the faculty's responsibility is to provide opportunity for critical thinking and civic engagement so bringing something of relevancy into the classroom was the faculty's goal," said Cathy Lucas Wednesday, spokeswoman for Metro State. "Should he have broadened it and included all the political figures, yes."

Metro State officials are investigating claims of bias, harassment and bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,812,082 times
Sooooo what? You act like you are married to Sarah Palin.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,498,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
One student said the instructor singled out Republican students in the class and allowed others to ridicule them.
Ridiculing is going too far, but I've had professors who have called out students for expressing silly opinions.

See, ProudCapMarine, in college when you hold opinions as far out as yours, you better be able to back them up with reason and complex argument, or you will end up looking like a fool. A lot of people on this forum would run out in tears if they spouted some of the things they profess as fact.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,640,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Ridiculing is going too far, but I've had professors who have called out students for expressing silly opinions.

See, ProudCapMarine, in college when you hold opinions as far out as yours, you better be able to back them up with reason and complex argument, or you will end up looking like a fool. A lot of people on this forum would run out in tears if they spouted some of the things they profess as fact.
like you

Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Another Ward Churchill.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM

973 posts, read 2,231,433 times
Now imagine the outrage if this were what happened:
Quote:
DENVER (CBS4) ― Metro State College is investigating a professor who asked students to write an essay critical of Democrat presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama. One student said the instructor singled out Democrat students in the class and allowed others to ridicule them.

The adjunct professor, Andrew Hallam, stayed silent Thursday as he took his class on a field trip to an art museum. Hallam said he would issue a statement Thursday, but none came.

The college said Hallam will continue working during the investigation.

"I was shocked, I was holy cow, this is just an open door for him to discuss politics with us," Jana Barber first told CBS4 Wednesday, a student in the class.

Barber shared the class' first assignment with CBS4 Wednesday. Hallam asked students to write an essay to contradict what he called the 'fairy tale image of Obama' presented at the Democratic National Convention.

Barber filed an official complaint with the college which triggered the investigation.

"What the faculty's responsibility is to provide opportunity for critical thinking and civic engagement so bringing something of relevancy into the classroom was the faculty's goal," said Cathy Lucas Wednesday, spokeswoman for Metro State. "Should he have broadened it and included all the political figures, yes."

Metro State officials are investigating claims of bias, harassment and bullying.
You KNOW all the Obama supporters, media, ACLU, etc, would be raising the dead over a professor like this. Hypocrites.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,817,044 times
It says something that only one student spoke up.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM

973 posts, read 2,231,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
It says something that only one student spoke up.
There were 5 or so who spoke up, and I saw two different students than the one in this article on the news the other day. I'm sure there were other students too afraid of their grades to stand up as well.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM

351 posts, read 487,805 times
First of all we are talking about college students, professors don't "let" other students ridicule other students. The adults students probably had negative comments and the professor didn't curtail them (probably) because they were apart of a larger discussion.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with writing a critical essay about a political figure.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
The professor let his political leanings affect his classroom dialogue. I'm sure the administration has rules and procedures for dealing with the teacher's misbehavior. The assignment has been evaluated and revised, and I'm sure the school will be following closely the results of the assignment. More than that, I'm not sure what ProudCap would want. Political bias is something that emerges in classrooms and in the workplace. It's not just liberal bias. I've had an employer who only promoted people who attended a specific church, I currently have an employer who is very pro-Republican and who shares numerous anti-Democratic jokes, stories and misinformation on a daily basis. Big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections