Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should college adjunct professor Andrew Hallam be fired
Yes 51 47.66%
No 51 47.66%
Not Sure 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
And this is what we would get if Obama ever got in the WH,it is what he and Reid, Kerry, Pelosi think. They should toss him out on his ear.
Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,443 times
Heck, you don't have to be a college student to write such a paper. My 9 year old granddaughter gave me a whole run down about why Sarah Palin should not be elected. Of course, when listening to her, I often think how much smarter my 9 year old granddaughter is than many of the adults who are old enough to vote.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,223,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Denver college professor assigns students to write essay critical of Gov. Sarah Palin...
You're a whiny little thing, aren't you? Is Palin as whiny as you?

In fact, the whole McCain campaign is whiny.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,522,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Sooooo what? You act like you are married to Sarah Palin.
I somehow think you would have a big problem with this if the assignment was to be critical of obama or biden

Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 PM

5,343 posts, read 4,440,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrob123 View Post
First of all we are talking about college students, professors don't "let" other students ridicule other students. The adults students probably had negative comments and the professor didn't curtail them (probably) because they were apart of a larger discussion.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with writing a critical essay about a political figure.
Going to college is time to expand your thought processes. Time to think outside the box and not wallow in your preconceived ideas.

You are correct, there is nothing wrong with the instructor giving this assignment. However, if he wanted to challenge his students and teach them something worthwhile the assignment should have looked something like this:

Governor Sarah Palin is the Republican Vice Presidential nominee. In the last month since she has arrived on the national political stage, there have been several critical news stories about her.
Your assignment is to find two of these stories in which you feel that there is a common thread and take a stance either defending the story or defending Governor Palin. You will support your premise with facts, note all sources and use only reputable news sources (IE: not blogs) as well as other fact based sources.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Going to college is time to expand your thought processes. Time to think outside the box and not wallow in your preconceived ideas.

You are correct, there is nothing wrong with the instructor giving this assignment. However, if he wanted to challenge his students and teach them something worthwhile the assignment should have looked something like this:

Governor Sarah Palin is the Republican Vice Presidential nominee. In the last month since she has arrived on the national political stage, there have been several critical news stories about her.
Your assignment is to find two of these stories in which you feel that there is a common thread and take a stance either defending the story or defending Governor Palin. You will support your premise with facts, note all sources and use only reputable news sources (IE: not blogs) as well as other fact based sources.
Excellent.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM

714 posts, read 1,541,089 times
Yes, he should have been fired. I took a Social Welfare class my Freshman year of college. Not ever having an interest in politics at that point and not even knowing the major differences in Right/Left. We had discussion about "welfare". I simply stated my opinion (I don't remember exactly what I said) but I was called out in front of the entire class by my teacher...She said "AHH Don't tell me that you are a Republican! You should be ashamed!". I told her that I didn't know what she was talking about, it was just the way I saw the situation.

Needless to say I rushed home after being called out...and spent most of my night learning what a Republican was...she was right. Yep..that's me for the most part. I have never been one to get embarrased or be bashful...so...I marched right back into class that week and told her that I was absolutely a Republican and thanked her in front of the entire class, for helping me find my way!

Been following politics ever since

The point- Not all students are ok with be called out or told what they should believe. Teachers should teach both sides of views. It's ok to believe in something different that others, just know both sides. If we can't teach our youth to look at both sides, then we are in trouble. This effects everyday life. There are always two sides to every story whether it be relationships, raising children, politics, or baking a cake.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,026,918 times
How does "critical thought" involve parroting the professor's view because you know that if you don't, your grade will be docked? That's apparently what this professor is doing -- training young minds to view politicsand candidates as he does. That's bogus.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,618,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Yes, he should have been fired. I took a Social Welfare class my Freshman year of college. Not ever having an interest in politics at that point and not even knowing the major differences in Right/Left. We had discussion about "welfare". I simply stated my opinion (I don't remember exactly what I said) but I was called out in front of the entire class by my teacher...She said "AHH Don't tell me that you are a Republican! You should be ashamed!". I told her that I didn't know what she was talking about, it was just the way I saw the situation.

Needless to say I rushed home after being called out...and spent most of my night learning what a Republican was...she was right. Yep..that's me for the most part. I have never been one to get embarrased or be bashful...so...I marched right back into class that week and told her that I was absolutely a Republican and thanked her in front of the entire class, for helping me find my way!

Been following politics ever since

The point- Not all students are ok with be called out or told what they should believe. Teachers should teach both sides of views. It's ok to believe in something different that others, just know both sides. If we can't teach our youth to look at both sides, then we are in trouble. This effects everyday life. There are always two sides to every story whether it be relationships, raising children, politics, or baking a cake.
Many would argue that "life" isn't about living within ones comfort zone, but stepping out of it.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,618,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
How does "critical thought" involve parroting the professor's view because you know that if you don't, your grade will be docked? That's apparently what this professor is doing -- training young minds to view politicsand candidates as he does. That's bogus.

Is that what he's doing? Odd. It certainly doesn't appear that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections