Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,998,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
And fellow young people like myself, who don't have home phones, b/c we only use our cell phones don't get polled either, and we will overwelmingly vote Obama. So, I think that will make it a wash.
Sorry if somebody else has provided this link, but it's just not true that Gallup and some other polling organizations don't call cell phones. They do.

Directly from Gallup's site: "Does Gallup call cell phones?We receive a lot of questions about cell phones and their implications for survey research. The short answer to the questions: Gallup includes cell phones in each and every national Gallup Poll survey. Contrary to what appears to be conventional wisdom, those Americans who only have cell phones are not excluded from Gallup Poll national samples.

It is surprising to find that many observers assume that the survey research industry isn't aware of the fact that increasing numbers of Americans are using cell phones in addition to, or in lieu of, traditional landline phones.

The industry -- and Gallup -- is, of course, exceedingly aware of this phenomenon. For example, the recent annual conference of the American Association for Public Opinion Research included seven scientific sessions, each with four or more scientific papers, dealing specifically with the cell phone issue. This is not a new issue and one the industry has been very carefully analyzing for years. The facts are clear. Up to 15% of households now use cell phones only. Studies show that these households tend to be younger, more minorities, and more transient.

Gallup's methodologists and survey scientists have carefully assessed and monitored the cell phone situation in a number of ways. Gallup has studied, researched, conducted test polling, analyzed existing data, examined the implications of the inclusion or exclusion of cell phones -- and all in all come at the issue of cell phones in almost every way possible."

Does Gallup call cell phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 01:44 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,159,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
McCain was calling for tighter regulations two years ago, no one listened, because of the lobbyists.

So does Obama - they're just called something different.
On the CBS news last night, it was discussed and shown that Obama co-authored a bill calling for tighter regulations, and it was dissed by the Republicans. This was in 2007. To be fair, they also mentioned McCains attempts to do the same in 2005--also rejected. So, this is a wash.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,597,732 times

Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,761,611 times
and why bek he is not in denial.
there is a costly war we dont need
there is a heavy debt that needs to be paid
there is an immigration problem
there is a trade balance problem
there is an energy problem

Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,504,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I rest my case, it appears (which leaves it open that you may possibly prove me wrong on this issue) to me that you fall into the group of which I was speaking about.
You didn't prove yourself right in the first place, so no need for me to prove you wrong. I will prove you didn't read carefully, however:

From your link:

According to the US census bureau, the dominance of non-Hispanic white people, who today account for two-thirds of Americans, will be whittled away, falling steadily to less than half in 2042 and 46% by 2050. In the opposite trajectory, those who describe themselves as Hispanic, black, Asian and Native American will increase in proportion from about a third now to 54% by 2050.

Key words up there: "non-Hispanic white".... you DO know that "Hispanic" is not a race, right? That "Hispanics" can be white, black, mixed, asian, etc.?

If 5 subgroups are sharing the 54% expected to be "non-white", however, that STILL leaves European whites as the PLURALITY.... again, complicated when you try to factor Hispanics into their PROPER racial categories (which would bump up the numbers of whites a lot, and blacks a bit).

Like I said, it's amazing how little people actually know of the diversity they pretend to crave and appreciate.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 PM

163 posts, read 238,570 times
Quote:
The more Palin gets out there, the better. People still don't know enough about her, what with all the smears and lies out there.

Considering Gallup uses anywhere from 7-10% MORE dems than reps, obama should be up more.
hey you stated that yesterday too. What do you base that on?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,095,295 times
Quote:
hey you stated that yesterday too. What do you base that on?
I have an idea. Go to the Gallup website and look for the info. It's there, just takes a small amount of effort.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:11 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,067,779 times
Yep, that's really presidential!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:16 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,192,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yep, that's really presidential!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:16 PM

163 posts, read 238,570 times
Quote:
I have an idea. Go to the Gallup website and look for the info. It's there, just takes a small amount of effort.
Grt idea; So you are assuming that

1) I have not been to the gallup website

OR

2) I missed where it says on the gallup website that they target one demographic (democrats) more to poll than the others (republicans, 3rd party, undecided etc?)

Pls advice which one is true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections