Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 PM

838 posts, read 922,923 times

Advertisements

The fundamentals are strong meaning the production/workers, U.S. economy rose 2% this month. The liberal media took that statement out of context which changed what McCain main point, that we are in large financial crisis. This is what the economists state. Who likes the liberal media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM

838 posts, read 922,923 times
McCain presented a bill in 2005 to stop Freddie and Fanny practices but Congress said NO.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:08 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,618,390 times
The further the market tanks, the deeper the housing decline gets, and the more the economy goes south, the more the Republicans will be taken to the wood-shed for a whoopin this November...

Things are looking up for an Obama/Democratic landslide - with a mandate from the public to do an about face on the policies of the past 8 years...

I guess sometimes there is a lining of silver in storm clouds...

HubbleRules

Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,561,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
The fundamentals are strong meaning the production/workers, U.S. economy rose 2% this month. The liberal media took that statement out of context which changed what McCain main point, that we are in large financial crisis. This is what the economists state. Who likes the liberal media.
Psss, You want to buy a bridge too?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:19 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,947 times
The economy continues to beat-up on McCain/Palin.

Honestly, (barring a terrorist attack or other national security emergency) unless the Fed makes a bit cut in rates BEFORE their end-of-October OMC meeting, and unless this $700 Billion bailout bill frees up the credit market quickly, I don't see how McCain wins...

The economy is by far the number one issue facing voters.

159,000 jobs lost in September

Credit markets still are frozen and will start hurting the economy soon

Housing Values still declining and foreclosures still rising

Consumers are scared and are curtailing spending

We are probably in a recession

Gas and oil prices still sky-high

People are very worried about jobs, health care, inflation

I think the above list will get worse before it gets better. If it is apparent to most that the economy is in the tank on election day, it will be a huge Democratic victory. The public simply doesn't trust Republicans anymore to run the economy. Funny, 30 years ago their sentiment was exactly the opposite. Way to go Bush!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:11 PM

Everytime the stock market tanks like it did again today, every time we hear about the credit-markets still being frozen, it's one more nail in McCain/Palin's coffin... People are really scared about our economic future.

I think it's getting close to the point where we just need to stick a fork in this election - it's done...

Unless there is a big terrorist attack in the states, or a huge flare-up of violence in Iraq/Afghanistan, I don't see any way that McCain can possibly recover. Not even if he goes negative and throws mega-mud. The American public won't fall for that gimmick - especially with McCain's horrendous track record on the economy.

This economy is like an anchor around his neck - slowly sending him to Davey Jone's locker...

Ahoy matey!!!! Shiver me timbers!!!! Somebody throw that poor man a life preserver!!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM

The S&P 500 is down about 14% over the past 10 days, people's 401Ks are at best 301Ks, and the economic news on every front is bad or terrible.

Heck of a Job, Dubya!! Mission Accomplished!!!

You managed to do what no other president in our history has done - more than double the national debt - which I suppose you want our children and grandchildren to repay...

I wouldn't vote Republican for any position - not even Dog Catcher!!! That would just be cruelty to animals...

Old 10-08-2008, 02:34 PM

Speach McCain will soon be muttering:

'My friends... I have decided to withdraw from the presidential race...'

It has been a wonderful opportunity, my friends, to have served this country for 26 years in the senate.

But, my friends, given that the stock market continues to sink into the abyss, Americans 401ks are now 0.501Ks, their houses have declined 30% in value or been put into foreclosure, and economists are now seriously talking about a 'depression', I realize that Bush has so screwed America, that no Republican will be occupying the White House for at least a generation.

My friends, Gov Palin will be taking my place in the race effective immediately. She is, my friends, mavericky enough to take up this hopeless cause in my place...

And, my friends, she will announce her VP pick shortly. I understand, my friends, that she is considering Tom Cruise, who, as we all know, played 'Maverick' in TopGun - and is in my opinion far better qualified to lead than 'that one' that I debated last night.

I, my friends, am leaving town as quickly as possible. After all, my friends, I have it upon reliable sources that Bush, Cheney and Paulson have already left the Capital for destinations unknown....

My friends, may God be with you... Because Bush, Cheney, Paulson and I won't be....'

Old 10-08-2008, 02:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,077,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
What terrible timing for a statement that 'the fundamentals of the economy are strong' - McCain uttered these words just days ago - at the very start of the latest economic crisis on Wall Street.
You know... the out of context misinterpretation of the American people on McCain's statement just shows how dumb America has become. McCain is NOT saying our economy is strong. He is saying the fundamentals of our economy are strong.
It is like saying.... as an EXAMPLE when you build a house. Your fundamental materials needed to build the house are strong. The nails are strong, the wood materials are strong, the paint is good and will last, the pipes are strong, etc.
But the house will only be strong if you put all those fundamental materials together correctly.
If you do a shoddy job of building the house that is not to code, then the house falls apart.
Americans are really stupid. Only the ones that understood McCain are smart.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
You know... the out of context misinterpretation of the American people on McCain's statement just shows how dumb America has become. McCain is NOT saying our economy is strong. He is saying the fundamentals of our economy are strong.
It is like saying.... as an EXAMPLE when you build a house. Your fundamental materials needed to build the house are strong. The nails are strong, the wood materials are strong, the paint is good and will last, the pipes are strong, etc.
But the house will only be strong if you put all those fundamental materials together correctly.
If you do a shoddy job of building the house that is not to code, then the house falls apart.
Americans are really stupid. Only the ones that understood McCain are smart.
If you understood McCain, then you should by now understand that he doesn't understand the economy!!! He said so himself just a few months ago!!!

I don't think he has a clue about what to do to fix the economy - I doubt if he knows what the fundamentals are...

His lead financial advisor - Phil Graham - was one of the key factors in this economic meltdown that happened on Bush's watch... He is the one who overturned the provisions of Glass-Steagal that kept commercial banking and investment banking totally separate. McCain is an old-time trickle-down economy proponenet. That policy has been acknowledged to be bankrupt by all but the dumbest Americans...

HubbleRules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections