Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
dixiegirl7: I think you're very wrong on all your points, but I'd like to address your last point, in particular. The GOP's insulting commentary at the RNC regarding "community organizers" was a very stupid move on their part. They insulted the very people who get out the vote--person by person, house by house. And those people are angry, and they have wasted no time "organizing" in response to those insults. And they will be getting out the vote. Oh yeah.

My explanation has more to do with why people still vote Republican, because that is what the poster asked about. Bush is not unpopular with most people that voted for him in the past. The media wants people to think that but it is not true. Therefore, those that voted for Bush will more than likely still vote for McCain and those that voted for Gore or Kerry will vote for Obama with a few exceptions. My explanation has nothing to do with community organizers which you are trying to take out of context. It is a fact that young, first time voters never turn out in the numbers they are predicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,977 times
I think that many people vote for their "social" issues - like they would vote for McCain if they're against abortion, or against gay rights, things like that.

But, in doing so, they are voting against their own economic interests, if they are middle or lower class wage-earners.

I try to vote for my economic issues, and social issues second.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
my people are not ignorant, but they are very very loyal
(berlin 1935)

Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Because the Dems can't scrape together good candidates...

2000 - Al Gore - His head was in the clouds but his feet lost touch with the ground

2004 - John Kerry - Douche Bag w/ foot always in mouth

2008 - Barak Obama - Far left wing - partisan - divisive

Most Americans are moderate or just right of center. The Democrat party has been hijacked by extreme special interest groups ie gays, hollywood, unions, actvists...
Bingo! There was never a president as beatable as George Bush and look who the Dems put up against him. Kerry? What a joke.

The GOP made a mistake 8 years ago when they got behind Bush vs. McCain for the nomination. If the Dems hadn't screwed up their part so badly, they'd be back in the White House by now.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Christian fundamentalists (at least the ones that vote Republican) are not nearly as extreme as many of the special interests that are seen on the left. The Democratic party has too many over represented constituencies ie gays, NAACP, AFL-CIO, evironmentalists/hippies. Whether the Dems like it or not, they are forced to dance to the drum beat of their main source of money - the extreme left. There are like 67 million evangelicals in the U.S. You can't call a fifth of America 'extreme'.
Palin's husband is a proud Union husband. What say you to that?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
I love you George. I love you too, John.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
Bush isnt unpopular, its just the media who is all over him. You should know that all the news networks praise liberal bs by now.
Give me a break! Doesn't he have the lowest approval rating ever???

Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 PM

8,055 posts, read 10,651,352 times
Because they are afraid of change. I drove past several gas station this evening, many had huge lines because people who cannot think for themselves, or outside of the box, were panic stricken that gas was going to "dry up". Are you kidding? I decided to "live on the edge" and drive around on my barely quarter tank of gasoline. Do people really think these big oil companies are out of oil? What a pathetic site. Lines of people in "well-to-do" type vehicles filling up like good little sheep because they really think we're giong to fun out of "gas". I bet 90% of the people I saw in those lines as I drove by are Republican voters. So sad. Manipulated, and scared. I do believe there will be gas available tomorrow. And the next day, and the next. I won't be a mouse in a maze. Those are the people voting for "more of the same". Glad I'm not one.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 AM

6 posts, read 12,780 times
If Bush did to Osama what he has done for America, Osama would be too broke to be a threat to a den of cub scouts.

Last edited by Hogwash; 10-28-2008 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections