Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,974,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Christian fundamentalists (at least the ones that vote Republican) are not nearly as extreme as many of the special interests that are seen on the left. The Democratic party has too many over represented constituencies ie gays, NAACP, AFL-CIO, evironmentalists/hippies. Whether the Dems like it or not, they are forced to dance to the drum beat of their main source of money - the extreme left. There are like 67 million evangelicals in the U.S. You can't call a fifth of America 'extreme'.
How is the AFL-CIO an extremist group? Sure, they're a special interest group, but not extremist. Christian fundamentalists who seek to ram their version of Christianity down our throats, and fight wars so they can fulfill their warped views of biblical prophecy....that's extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,637,908 times
Here's where the libs just don't get it. Bush's approval rating being 30% DOES NOT MEAN THAT 70% THINK THE DEMS ARE BETTER! I don't like Bush, realize he's caused a lot of issues, and probably won't be voting for McCain, but I'd rather see McCain in office than Obama.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,144,667 times
Quote:
Christian fundamentalists (at least the ones that vote Republican) are not nearly as extreme as many of the special interests that are seen on the left. The Democratic party has too many over represented constituencies ie gays, NAACP, AFL-CIO, evironmentalists/hippies. Whether the Dems like it or not, they are forced to dance to the drum beat of their main source of money - the extreme left. There are like 67 million evangelicals in the U.S. You can't call a fifth of America 'extreme'.
I'm not convinced that evangelical = fanatical Christian fundamentalist.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,767,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
How is the AFL-CIO an extremist group? Sure, they're a special interest group, but not extremist. Christian fundamentalists who seek to ram their version of Christianity down our throats, and fight wars so they can fulfill their warped views of biblical prophecy....that's extreme.
AFL-CIO is dying and illigitimate, their membership is dwindling by the day; unions serve so purpose anymore other than to protest, that is why I called them 'extreme', but not in the classical sense of thet word. Most Christians don't "ram their version of Christianity down people's throats." I think you're talking about snake worshipping Baptists in rural Arkansas. They are fringe extremists, and their numbers are so small they don't matter.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,520,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
it's the media putting him down and everything he does and says. this is evident when speaking to the average (lib) joe and all they can repeat is what they hear on the six o'clock news.

btw, if mccain had made as many gaffs as obama has in recent months, the media and all the lefties would be saying he is senile but he gets a pass all the time...Bush should be so lucky...

Hey, but judge it all for yourself...don't take the spins on things, take facts for themselves. Look at what Bush promised and look at the state of the nation, and by gosh, don't judge what things are like because you have a good job or pension. Look at what is happening to the Middle Class, and don't let Limbaugh or anyone influence you.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 AM

789 posts, read 1,335,224 times
I think it's because of the title he has - the Maverick. It sounds cool so the rednecks eat it up.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I agree, but it seems the republican party has been hijacked by extreme special interests as well....namely far-right protestant Christian fundamentalists, and big business.

My only choice is to write-in "none of the above."

Don't forget to add "Neocon" to that...they aren't true conservatives, no way...they want to spend your children's future.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 AM

789 posts, read 1,335,224 times
This thread made me think of something else. If Congress has an approval rating around 20% why is their chance of being reelected around 95%?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
I think it's because of the title he has - the Maverick. It sounds cool so the rednecks eat it up.

But it is such a bad label for him. He is not a Maverick, nor ever known to be outside Washingtoon circles.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Quote:
Because the Dems can't scrape together good candidates...

2000 - Al Gore - His head was in the clouds but his feet lost touch with the ground

2004 - John Kerry - Douche Bag w/ foot always in mouth

2008 - Barak Obama - Far left wing - partisan - divisive

Most Americans are moderate or just right of center. The Democrat party has been hijacked by extreme special interest groups ie gays, hollywood, unions, actvists...
Barack Obama is not "far left wing." That's absurd. Even the writers of The Economist consider him to be a rather moderate liberal, at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections