Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,520,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I plan to vote for McCain...
1. Because Obama would unintentionally run an already struggling nation into the ground just like Bush has, but in a different way.
2. Because McCain is not as close to Bush as people think.
3. Because He's less likely to let the U.S. fall off the radar like Bush has.

Do I disagree with McCain on some things? YES!!! But if I knew then, what I know now I would have voted for him in 2000 instead of Bush. McCain would be a much more capable leader and he has a decent record of Reform. His selection of Gov. Palin tells me that he's fairly serious about enacting some type of reform in the govt. Besides, it's not like the Dems have been up to much lately I'm not starry eyed about them. The past eight years have made me too cynical to put much faith in any government leader. But I'll cast my lot with McCain over Obama.

The GOP doesn't deserve another four years. But when I vote for president, I don't vote for a party as much as I vote for a person, and between Obama and McCain, I'll take McCain.

2. Because McCain is not as close to Bush as people think.

Karl Rove is helping McCain's campaign. That is as close as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 AM

789 posts, read 1,335,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
But it is such a bad label for him. He is not a Maverick, nor ever known to be outside Washingtoon circles.
I know that. Most people just hear the words and think, "Yeehaw! We got's us a Maverick!"

Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Barack Obama is not "far left wing." That's absurd. Even the writers of The Economist consider him to be a rather moderate liberal, at best.
Most people that I know in the United States have no idea what a "far left wing" person has on their mind. They'd be blown away by the things I believe in. I'd put Obama just right of center.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,520,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
I know that. Most people just hear the words and think, "Yeehaw! We got's us a Maverick!"

They believe everything they hear and don't look objectively what is happening to this nation. As long as they can watch American Idle, they are happy.

Sarah Barracuda wants to take on Russia. No one is talking about that one.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,931,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Most people that I know in the United States have no idea what a "far left wing" person has on their mind. They'd be blown away by the things I believe in. I'd put Obama just right of center.
Yes but painting him as a crazy left wing liberal help gets the votes. I mean common, these people voted for Bush twice. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me a third time, shame on my parents for having me.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Yes but painting him as a crazy left wing liberal help gets the votes. I mean common, these people voted for Bush twice. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me a third time, shame on my parents for having me.
I was watching Bill Maher and he made a comment that made me think. He said something along the lines of:
Maybe McCain will get into office and think, I'm 72, had some heart attacks, half dead, **** the GOP. I'm going to do what I want because I'm about to croak.
I'm not quoting BTW.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,931,886 times
Yea but if he croaks, Palin, the perfect puppet will replace him. His 15 minutes of fame will be too high a cost.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:54 AM

9,377 posts, read 14,332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Think.
Think.
Think.

I want the United States back from the criminal element that runs it.
The monster has two heads, but the body is one.

The democrats have not made serious opposition over these past eight years, not even the past two. In fact, they have happily acquiesced, for example, to the Bush administration's flaming liberal redistributive monetary policies, with all its perverse consequences.

Case in point, some members of the boards of directors of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were high ranking democrats and republicans alike.

The Bush administration bought off the democrats on other issues as well, there is no denying it.

Anyway, the specter of another 4/8 years of one-party government is worse than a split government, maybe the monster will get indigestion.

That is the best we can hope for.

Put aside the red herring issues, high sounding ideologies, and adolescent complaining of injustice, it belittles us all.

Now back to work.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Yea but if he croaks, Palin, the perfect puppet will replace him. His 15 minutes of fame will be too high a cost.
I know that but it would be awesome to have a REAL maverick in the White House.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:16 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Here's one view:

Garrison Keillor, George Bush with big hair | Salon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections