Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Did you hear Obama tonight on the forum for public service? He was articulate and inspirational -and that's what will inspire millions of Americans to believe in the wonder of their country again..
I've been a real doubter but the more I hear about the specifics of his agenda for 'change' I feel revitalized - that there IS hope for a new, much less divisive and more productive America. I hope folks are really listening to and *hearing* what he's saying! He is NOT confusing the debate by condemning his opponents..
How will he implement change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,690,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliana_b View Post
30% of the people will always vote according to party. It's the 40% in the middle that decide elections. I'm guessing that those who aren't voting just because of party honestly think that they will have a better economic deal under McCain and that he will be better on defense. They don't realize that most of his proposal are just Bush policies. Then, some of them just don't like something about Obama. And, of course, some people will vote for McCain because Sarah Palin is hot. I'd say that a good number of votes simply don't think. Those that do and still go for McCain have a different world view.

ETA: Social issues also draw voters away from Obama.
I do not know the percentages but when we attacked Iraq, a majority of the people believed Iraq has something to do with 9-11. I bet that a significant percentage of people still do.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,760 times
it's the media putting him down and everything he does and says. this is evident when speaking to the average (lib) joe and all they can repeat is what they hear on the six o'clock news.

btw, if mccain had made as many gaffs as obama has in recent months, the media and all the lefties would be saying he is senile but he gets a pass all the time...Bush should be so lucky...

Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,679 times
I plan to vote for McCain...
1. Because Obama would unintentionally run an already struggling nation into the ground just like Bush has, but in a different way.
2. Because McCain is not as close to Bush as people think.
3. Because He's less likely to let the U.S. fall off the radar like Bush has.

Do I disagree with McCain on some things? YES!!! But if I knew then, what I know now I would have voted for him in 2000 instead of Bush. McCain would be a much more capable leader and he has a decent record of Reform. His selection of Gov. Palin tells me that he's fairly serious about enacting some type of reform in the govt. Besides, it's not like the Dems have been up to much lately I'm not starry eyed about them. The past eight years have made me too cynical to put much faith in any government leader. But I'll cast my lot with McCain over Obama.

The GOP doesn't deserve another four years. But when I vote for president, I don't vote for a party as much as I vote for a person, and between Obama and McCain, I'll take McCain.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Did you hear Obama tonight on the forum for public service? He was articulate and inspirational -and that's what will inspire millions of Americans to believe in the wonder of their country again..
I've been a real doubter but the more I hear about the specifics of his agenda for 'change' I feel revitalized - that there IS hope for a new, much less divisive and more productive America. I hope folks are really listening to and *hearing* what he's saying! He is NOT confusing the debate by condemning his opponents..
Now I found that VERY interesting myself. I cannot understand how he can sit with those of "his own kind" the leftist Judy Woodward and Cornell et al....and communicate slightly logically....but just yesterday and the day before and for two weeks ....he was wandering around [the lipstick talk] with all those regular citizens, sounding like a goof, stuttering, stammering, losing train of thought and the WORST HABIT he has, when he's trying to be funny and sarcastic and put down Mccain, he puts on that "half black" accent for lack of a better term...dropping the endings of his words and using a cocky tone and sounding like he's ready to break into ebonics. /which would make him sound like a bigger dope, sorta like Carleton. A split personality.

Any insight on why this guy cannot seem to talk to NORMAL people NORMALLY? I really dont get it and he is scary imo.

I noticed him being OFF KILTER since his trip to Hawaii. Maybe a personal problem.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,082,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
it's the media putting him down and everything he does and says. this is evident when speaking to the average (lib) joe and all they can repeat is what they hear on the six o'clock news.

btw, if mccain had made as many gaffs as obama has in recent months, the media and all the lefties would be saying he is senile but he gets a pass all the time...Bush should be so lucky...
He has made plenty of gaffs that the MSM does not cover. they have always loved McCain.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,760 times
not during the campaign...

Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,973,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post

Most Americans are moderate or just right of center. The Democrat party has been hijacked by extreme special interest groups ie gays, hollywood, unions, actvists...

I agree, but it seems the republican party has been hijacked by extreme special interests as well....namely far-right protestant Christian fundamentalists, and big business.

My only choice is to write-in "none of the above."

Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,767,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I agree, but it seems the republican party has been hijacked by extreme special interests as well....namely far-right protestant Christian fundamentalists, and big business.

My only choice is to write-in "none of the above."

Christian fundamentalists (at least the ones that vote Republican) are not nearly as extreme as many of the special interests that are seen on the left. The Democratic party has too many over represented constituencies ie gays, NAACP, AFL-CIO, evironmentalists/hippies. Whether the Dems like it or not, they are forced to dance to the drum beat of their main source of money - the extreme left. There are like 67 million evangelicals in the U.S. You can't call a fifth of America 'extreme'.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,143,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Because the Dems can't scrape together good candidates...

2000 - Al Gore - His head was in the clouds but his feet lost touch with the ground

2004 - John Kerry - Douche Bag w/ foot always in mouth

2008 - Barak Obama - Far left wing - partisan - divisive

Most Americans are moderate or just right of center. The Democrat party has been hijacked by extreme special interest groups ie gays, hollywood, unions, actvists...
I have to say...the 2008 candidate they've presented looks a lot better to me than the last two.

And I don't doubt that a lot of people wouldn't vote for Obama simply because he is black. I know there are people like that. But then again, maybe those people would vote for McCain regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections