Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Would Get Your Vote?
Joe Biden 132 60.83%
Sarah Palin 85 39.17%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times

Advertisements

If the number one and number two spots in the Presidential race were reversed, who would get your vote and why? Please base it solely between Biden and Palin as if neither had chosen a VP yet.

Your vote will be private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM

10,036 posts, read 15,695,582 times
Jammie, don't you mean "Sarah", lol.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
OMG, yes I did. Thank you. OK, if you can figure out a way to edit a poll, I'd appreciate it. If not, I hope others will humor me and disregard my mistake and vote anyway.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM

10,036 posts, read 15,695,582 times
Fixed.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,017,340 times
My pick for President would be Biden.. and here is why.

First I am a woman and would be proud that a woman is on the ticket. I was an avid Hillary supporter, NOT because she was a woman, but because of where she stands on the issues..and the fact that she was a woman didn't hurt any!

It is of my opinion that Sara Palin, while a smart and fiesty well spoken woman, is simply not qualified enough for the post of President. As someone that knows what a state of Alaska is like (I have family in Montana.. small town) , while it does take all those quailities I've mentioned to run ANY state, even the 47th largest state in population, it does not and can not compare to running any type of city or community in a larger, more diverse community with a diverse economy etc. While it can be argued that Obama's experience in the Senate is short, he does have experience in the Senate, it's atmosphere. He's been there, knows how it works and knows the ins and outs. Biden certainly does. Sara does not and filling the Presidency seat as a "freshman" is a scary proposition.

In addition, I tend to take the same views as the democratic party on many of the issues.

Sara may be a great president some day, but she's just too green in Washington .

Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,557,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
My pick for President would be Biden.. and here is why.

First I am a woman and would be proud that a woman is on the ticket. I was an avid Hillary supporter, NOT because she was a woman, but because of where she stands on the issues..and the fact that she was a woman didn't hurt any!

It is of my opinion that Sara Palin, while a smart and fiesty well spoken woman, is simply not qualified enough for the post of President. As someone that knows what a state of Alaska is like (I have family in Montana.. small town) , while it does take all those quailities I've mentioned to run ANY state, even the 47th largest state in population, it does not and can not compare to running any type of city or community in a larger, more diverse community with a diverse economy etc. While it can be argued that Obama's experience in the Senate is short, he does have experience in the Senate, it's atmosphere. He's been there, knows how it works and knows the ins and outs. Biden certainly does. Sara does not and filling the Presidency seat as a "freshman" is a scary proposition.

In addition, I tend to take the same views as the democratic party on many of the issues.

Sara may be a great president some day, but she's just too green in Washington .

I agree...and the fact that I just do want extremist Christianity imposed upon my family...

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM

107 posts, read 359,008 times
Default I choose Biden

Palin has become something of a rockstar. I think that label was premature, given to her after just one decent speech.

I think (hope) that in the debates Biden will rip her a new one. Since I am a liberal, and Palin is the antithesis of liberal, the choice for me is obvious. I feel Palin would do much to trample individual freedom. And since she has a vested interest in oil (being from a major oil state), she will do little about alternative energy. There are other arguments too, which I will not get into (unless prodded ).

Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,179,301 times
In honesty, I don't either candidate could win me over.

On one hand, we've got Sarah Palin who would be "fresh blood". We need fresh blood to resurrect the economy, faith in the government, and bring about actual change. However, her beliefs are just about the complete opposite of mine. Many of her stances, such as on abortion, turn me off from her completely.

Though, it's one thing to feel strongly about "xyz" issue and realize that your stance is not in the best interest of an entire country. But she hasn't shown that she can absolve aspects her personal beliefs for the sake of our country.

On the other hand, Joe Biden has been in the senate over a decade longer than I've been alive. No offense to older people in general, but those in their later years are more set into their routines. To turn this country around, we would definitely need somebody who can handle changing prospects in the world around us. Though some of his stances do coincide with mine, I just can't look past the fact that he's been in the Senate for so long.

Long time politicians are not what we need. Ties to special interests groups.. we need something new and fresh.

The problem is that my ideals of the "perfect president" aren't present in the election. We need somebody with leadership experience, but not necessarily in politics. We need someone young, though the requirements say otherwise. We need somebody who can set aside their personal feelings for the sake of an entire country - somebody who can say something along the lines of, "I don't like the idea of giving aid to women who keep popping out babies, but we can't hurt the child just to punish the mother."

I also feel that we need neither a democrat or a republican. We need somebody right smack dab in the middle. We need a gentle balanced view of both worlds to realize that some ideals held by democrats are good for XYZ and some by republicans are good for ABC. Party loyalty has led to so many problems and instances where bills get tossed around back and forth because neither party wants to agree with something from the opposing party. We end up in Party Wars - and it really needs to end.

So, in short: Neither candidate could get my vote.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM

545 posts, read 2,285,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I agree...and the fact that I just do want extremist Christianity imposed upon my family...
Bingo. I would choose Biden based on the fact that his positions are more in line with what I believe. I'm tired of religion being forced down my throat, and religious based laws being passed (I'm Catholic, by the way). This is not a country comprised solely of Christians, and it's time for some other voices to be heard in our government.

Now, that being said, I also have to agree Kuharai...I don't think I would be voting for someone as much as I'd be voting against someone, which is pretty much what I've been doing since I turned 18. I'm thankful that neither of these folks is the presidential candidate and that I feel like, for the first time in my life, I actually have someone to vote for.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,446,192 times
I agree with some of the other members. There is NO WAY I would want a right wing fundamentalist Christian (nor any other religious fundamentalist) to be president. I don't want to live in a theocracy and that is path we would be heading down.

As a woman I want reproductive choice to be protected. I want sex ed in schools, so unwanted pregnancies will be prevented! I want long term solutions regarding the looming energy crisis, not short term band-aids. ETC. ETC. There is not one reason why I would vote for her.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections