Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Would Get Your Vote?
Joe Biden 132 60.83%
Sarah Palin 85 39.17%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times

Advertisements

Sarah Palin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Joe Biden.
His ticket represents my moderate beliefs far more than does Sarah Palin.
Biden demonstrates intelligence, scope, imagination--depth.
The debates will be interesting to see, but my mind is pretty much already made up.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Palin is a missile without a payload. She was plainly a desperation pick, chosen for demographic reasons and as a sop to the very right-wing, fundie, so-called base that's made such a mess of the Republican Party to begin with. She's a case of the supposed original maverick having caved to a special interest. There is nothing at all in her resume to suggest that she is competent on national issues or either willing or able to address the tasks and responsibilities of national or international leadership. Biden outscores her in every relevant category. Not so long ago, we had people voting for somebody because he seemed like he'd be a good guy to play golf with. You'd think that people might actually learn from such mistakes.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:35 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
I'm a C-Span watcher and I've watched Joe Biden's work for years, particularly with the Senate committees on Foreign Relations and the Judiciary. I've always liked his pattern and his straight talk. I wanted him to be the nominee for the Democrats.

In the New York primaries, when it was down to Hillary or Obama, there was a third name on the ticket - Joe Biden. Knowing there was no chance for him to win, particularly since he had already withdrawn, I didn't vote for him, but thought about it for a moment. Later in the day, I found out that many people I know reacted the same way. I always felt that if everyone who thought Biden would have had a chance actually voted for him, perhaps he would actually have been the nominee.

When Obama chose him, I was delighted. I'll be voting for them in November.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Palin is a missile without a payload. She was plainly a desperation pick, chosen for demographic reasons and as a sop to the very right-wing, fundie, so-called base that's made such a mess of the Republican Party to begin with. She's a case of the supposed original maverick having caved to a special interest. There is nothing at all in her resume to suggest that she is competent on national issues or either willing or able to address the tasks and responsibilities of national or international leadership. Biden outscores her in every relevant category. Not so long ago, we had people voting for somebody because he seemed like he'd be a good guy to play golf with. You'd think that people might actually learn from such mistakes.
While I believe in expressing one's opinion, you have not given any real reason to vote, or not to vote for either one. Please elaborate instead of just resorting to name-calling. I figured with this new "Great Debates" forum we would have slightly more intelligent discussion than what goes on the P&OC forum.

My argument remains the same for Palin. We have elected so called "experts" in foreign policy who have only made things much much worse. So why not try something new? Palin's past is significantly better than most other politician's, it seems like the media is desperate to find something (anything) wrong with her.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
While I believe in expressing one's opinion, you have not given any real reason to vote, or not to vote for either one. Please elaborate instead of just resorting to name-calling.
Well, I would have had a somewhat different interpretation of...

There is nothing at all in her resume to suggest that she is competent on national issues or either willing or able to address the tasks and responsibilities of national or international leadership. Biden outscores her in every relevant category.

Quote:
I figured with this new "Great Debates" forum we would have slightly more intelligent discussion than what goes on the P&OC forum.
It's an interesting concept, but I'm taking something of a wait-and-see approach to Great Debates. My personal take on P&OC is that the vast majority of posters is not capable of any higher level discussion than what goes on there. The thesis underlying Great Debates is that there is indeed some such higher plane on which these -- or as yet unidentified other posters -- are capable of engaging. We'll see.

Quote:
My argument remains the same for Palin. We have elected so called "experts" in foreign policy who have only made things much much worse. So why not try something new?
Would it be fair then to summarize your thesis as being one that calls for placing those who know the least about the jobs into such positions? Would you see unfamiliarity with such things as the federal budget process, the interplay of fiscal and monetary policy, or the socio-political webs that define international trade, finance, and political regimes, as advantages rather than liabilities? Do we not have on the table an eight-year record of the types of disgrace and disaster that can result from entrusting such high-level responsibility to a likeable brush-cutting insouciant who believes he can see into the souls of foreign leaders? If this is a reasonable summation of your thinking, I certainly don't think that I can join you in it.

Quote:
Palin's past is significantly better than most other politician's, it seems like the media is desperate to find something (anything) wrong with her.
Palin's past barely exists in political terms. She is a fundie Christian former high school basketball player, who eventually managed to cobble together a communications/journalism degree out of a combination of credits earned at Hawaii Pacific College, North Idaho College, Matanuska-Susitna College, and the University of Idaho, using that training to launch a career as a small-time TV sports reporter. In what way does this better a double major in history and political science at the University of Delaware and a JD degree from the Syracuse University law school that led directly to now 38 years worth of local, national, and international political experience?

The media, if anything, are extending to Palin a credibility that she has not earned. Coming as she does out of virtually nowhere, they should be hounding her on her knowlegde, positions, and capacities on relevant national and international issues. Biden can cover any of these in great detail. Why isn't hockey-mom being asked to?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
I am quickly seeing that this forum will be no different than P&OC.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I am quickly seeing that this forum will be no different than P&OC.
Sure looks like you're right.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 PM

645 posts, read 909,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
How does abstinence only teaching trample on the constitution? If you can give me one single instance of a judge declaring abstinence programs unconstitutional, I will entertain the notion. But until then, calling it unconstitutional does not make that so.
If a person truly believes that abortion is murder, wouldn't they be a coward to not stand up to it? If there were homeless people being euthanized around the corner from me, why would I sit by and do nothing just because they are in a rough situation and no one really wants them? There are atheists who believe abortion is murder. I know 2 very devout atheists who hate abortion and cannot understand why our country does not care about babies being murdered, most specifically late term and partial birth abortions. Can you tell me why their views would be unconstitutional?
Sorry, can't answer your questions. This is a GREAT DEBATE, and your tone infers otherwise.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM

645 posts, read 909,693 times
Quote:
So long as it is done within the first month of pregnancy abortion is fine with me. What kills me is when people wait until 7 or 8 months in to make the decision. Even sadder is that there are so many couples out there unable to conceive a child, yet so many people choose to abort multiple times throughout their lives.
Most women don't know in the first month. I'm not sure what people you are referring to that have abortions in the 7th or 8th month. I have never known anyone to have multiple abortions, so again I'm not sure where you get your information. Possibly you have some valid statistics on the subject.
Quote:
No she isn't actually. She mentions believing in ID (Creationism) as well as Evolution, and she hasn't mentioned forcing it into the curriculum.
I have never heard her say she believe in Evolution. That would contradict her Fundamentalist views. Creationism should not even be thought of for public school curriculum, save it for home study, or Sunday school.
Quote:
Why? Is it the dislike for Sarah Palin based on inaccurate information? Please elaborate because I had never heard of Biden (or Palin) until they were named VP. It is amazing how the respectively biased media outlets can tear an honest person to pieces.
I have been a supporter of Joe Biden for years. I didn't just come on the political scene. I have friends in Alaska, but they had never spoken of their governor, until her pick as VP. I don't think the information that I have gathered is inaccurate. Possibly the information that you have gathered is inaccurate.
----------------------------------
Quote:
Overall I still go with Palin. We need a refreshing change, not another old white man.
Not another old white man? Isn't that John McCain? Not another old white man? Then you should pick Barack Obama, for REAL change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections