Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Would Get Your Vote?
Joe Biden 132 60.83%
Sarah Palin 85 39.17%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:33 PM

517 posts, read 2,486,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You just described abstinence teaching.

You teach the weakness of other methods while focusing in on the fact they aren't 100%. Only 1 thing is 100%.
Not necessarily. Some versions of abstinence teaching are abstinence only - meaning that they don't even mention the other types of birth control - not even to point out their flaws. I have no problem with promoting abstinence but I do think that the others should at least be discussed.

There are also some who feel that sex should not be discussed at all in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,418,716 times
Biden may be old Washington, but Biden is the good part of old Washington. Please don't include him in the ranks of Strom Thurmond, because he is the POOREST senator there is. That is a huge statement that his interests do not fare to make him rich, and should separate him from the rest of Washington. I know 30 year olds who have more money than him. He is an honest, selfless person who chased criminals literally down the streets of Wilmington, DE, and has made huge sacrifices for the country, when he could have been a retired multimillionaire with several law practices.

Secondly, the ABC interview shows how unprepared Palin is. One minute she wants the bridge to nowhere, or the secession of Alaska, the next minute she is against them, now that she is McCain's VP. In addition, she thinks war with Russia is a feasible happening, and thinks we are engaged in a holy war. I don't want this kind of nut having nuclear codes.

I actually LIKE McCAIN, have always liked him, but he has nothing to run on. These are not your parents' republicans. This is Bushdom, and Bush and Co. ruined it for people like McCain, who are decent people, and have to resort to veeping people like Sarah Palin for extra votes and media coverage.

Sorry, McCain, but Palin is a psycho in my eyes, and Bush ruined your chances. I'm going with Biden and Obama. They are the perfect mix of Old Washington, and New Blood you'll ever need.

Last edited by Joe84323; 09-12-2008 at 09:53 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
katzenfreund (love the screen name!): I've noted that Palin is very good at not answering questions asked of her. For example, when asked whether or not she thought we were doing God's will by fighting in Iraq, she went into a pretty-sounding prepared bit about Abraham Lincoln and his remark about not worrying about whether God was on our side, but whether we were on God's side. It didn't answer the question.

She is far too conservative for me in general. How any of Hillary's former supporters could switch allegiance because of her (according to one poll, 23% said they would) leaves me astonished. Aside from gender, they have almost nothing in common.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,709,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
katzenfreund (love the screen name!): I've noted that Palin is very good at not answering questions asked of her. For example, when asked whether or not she thought we were doing God's will by fighting in Iraq, she went into a pretty-sounding prepared bit about Abraham Lincoln and his remark about not worrying about whether God was on our side, but whether we were on God's side. It didn't answer the question.

She is far too conservative for me in general. How any of Hillary's former supporters could switch allegiance because of her (according to one poll, 23% said they would) leaves me astonished. Aside from gender, they have almost nothing in common.
I saw that clip, and Palin most certainly answered the question directly and honestly. You must have missed it (or chose to). She DID answer the question. It was an excellent response.

By the way, and this may have already been pointed out, it's important to remember that the network edited the interview and is only showing clips. We're not getting the whole picture but, then, we know that ABC would tend to be selective in what they show. They wouldn't want us to be able to come to any conclusion other than the one they want to steer us toward.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 AM

645 posts, read 910,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
There are also some who feel that sex should not be discussed at all in school.
Sad. With a little knowledge a young person's life could go in a different direction. Many people are of the mindset that if they have their daughter vaccinated with Gardasil then this will send a message of promiscuity. How ludicrous is that? You vaccinate them against Tetanus, does that make them want to go out and find a rusty nail?

Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
Default "Chose to"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I saw that clip, and Palin most certainly answered the question directly and honestly. You must have missed it (or chose to). She DID answer the question. It was an excellent response.
I didn't 'choose' to 'miss it'. I wanted to hear what she had to say. As far as ABC editing her answer is concerned, obviously I can't say what they did, but what was shown was not an answer to the question. I may be "liberal" in many ways, but I don't resort to selectively hearing what I want to hear.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,604,320 times
I'm an Independent and have been a Biden supporter from the first day he announced his candidacy, so I would definitely be voting FOR him in the OP's scenario no matter who the Republican candidate was. I have studied his positions and agree with 95% of them, far more than with any other candidate not only this year but in recent ones. I have rarely found ANY candidate who I could support as wholeheartedly as I do Biden...and this from someone who was a Democrat when in her teens and 20s, a Republican in her 30s and early 40s, and now a sensible Independent for the past almost-15 years!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM

645 posts, read 910,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
She skirted most of the questions. When asked what 3 things she would do for the economy she started talking about the TINY TOWN OF WASSILLA! Charlie pressed her, but she didn't have a good answer. Pathetic.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,226,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
Let us say Palin becomes president. With 5 of the 9 Supreme Court justices being 70 or older (one is 88!), she may have the opportunity to appoint 1 or more justices. Right now, there are 4 conservative, 4 liberal, and 1 swing judge(s). With just one appointment, Roe v Wade could be overturned. And there will be rulings in favor of intelligent design.

A poster earlier mentioned that Palin has not shown evidence that she would force her beliefs on others. Well, by appointing these justices and vetoing legislation, she could tell a woman what to do with her body, and also dictate that religion be taught in public schools (violation of separation of church and state). With a nickname like "Barracuda" and her ultra-conservative voting record, you think she is going to punt on these issues? I know these are hot-button issues, so flame on!
I don't believe for a minute that she wouldn't impose her beliefs once elected. And Sarah has personal friends who watch Judge Judy, so they would be qualified for appointment to the Supreme Court.

The more I hear about favors that she has done for friends while in office in Alaska and code enforcment heavy-handedness with her own property, she is coming off more like a less experienced, superficial "good old boy"- she has the air of entitlement down, but is just not seasoned enough for the big leagues.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:02 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,485,912 times
Are we better off now than we were 8 years ago?

If so, vote for Palin.
If not, vote for Biden.

Either way, not a lot is gonna change, particularly if Diebold voting machines are still a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections