Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,885,667 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm no dummy, but honestly folks. I'm sort of done with the Average Joe President of the USA.

John McCain did not graduate with high honors, and it took Sarah Palin how many years at how many schools to get her degree??

Let's at least elect someone who is smarter than the Average Joe. Since when is being smart a bad thing?? I'm just irritated at how people want a president that they can "relate to", that is "just like them". Um, no, I don't want a president just like me. I want someone better than me, and you should too!

It's a hard job, folks... we need a smart puppy in office!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,528,068 times
Jimmy Carter was smart.

Obama is book smart. Common sense seems to be lacking. Might be why he needs 300 advisers.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,644,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
hey, i'm no dummy, but honestly folks. I'm sort of done with the average joe president of the usa.

John mccain did not graduate with high honors, and it took sarah palin how many years at how many schools to get her degree??

Let's at least elect someone who is smarter than the average joe. Since when is being smart a bad thing?? I'm just irritated at how people want a president that they can "relate to", that is "just like them". Um, no, i don't want a president just like me. I want someone better than me, and you should too!

It's a hard job, folks... We need a smart puppy in office!
Traitor! Un-american!!! Terrorist!!!!

USA!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,355,814 times
Bill Clinton is awfully smart.

But, usually, we elect dummies like GW. I'm certainly smarter than him, and I'm sure most of us are.

I hate having a dumb president - it's embarrassing.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,901,992 times
I understand what you're saying. I would also like a smart president and I don't vote for people because I "relate" to them. I agree with you that it's a little weird that some people are drawn to that.

But I need more than "smarts." I need someone trustworthy, who shares my values, and who has wisdom and experience. It would be great if we could get it all in one package.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 AM

It's totally embarrassing, not only is it embarrassing, it does US as Americans, no good to have a bumbling fool in office. I can say that I'm definitely better off now than 8 years ago, but I am sure that's not true for a lot of people.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,099,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Jimmy Carter was smart.

Obama is book smart. Common sense seems to be lacking. Might be why he needs 300 advisers.
I want a president with a wide network of information at his/her fingertips. Common sense and gut instinct gave us Katrina and the Iraq War. I want planning, research, and execution skills in my president. I want cultural awareness, geographical awareness, geopolitical awareness, a grasp of the intricate nature of our global and domestic economies, etc. Jimmy Carter was the epitome of the outsider with common sense, do you think that worked out well?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I understand what you're saying. I would also like a smart president and I don't vote for people because I "relate" to them. I agree with you that it's a little weird that some people are drawn to that.

But I need more than "smarts." I need someone trustworthy, who shares my values, and who has wisdom and experience. It would be great if we could get it all in one package.
Yes you are right. And I think that Obama is the right person, at least for me and for the people I know, than McCain is.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,974,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Jimmy Carter was smart.

??? One would think that would actually demonstrate common sense. Understanding you have a lack of knowledge and then surrounding yourself with "experts" who have that knowledge and advise him seems like a smart idea to me. Does Mccain not have any advisers? Does he do everything on his own?

I wouldn't call either candidate stupid, they are just pandering as opposed to standing on a platform or view. It's pretty pathetic that the selection of the "leader of the free world" has come down to two children calling each other names on the playground during recess. Absolutely pathetic.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,958,893 times
Yep, I'm voting intelligence this year. IQ doesn't lie.
Maybe Bill Gates will run next time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections