Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,224,267 times

Advertisements

I've got CNN on in the background after watching the DNC. Hearing every speculations of Obama not picking Hillary for VP, and the same old tired rerun for McCain of Clinton pre-conceding..... republicans (fox news influence), I'm sure were so set on trashing Hillary had she become the second female pursuing a Vice Presidency. Obama was smart for trumping the total right-wingers, though the skeptics are still fishing to find a fight within a party holding strong on being united.

Hillary may not have been given the VP nod, it doesn't mean she'll not find herself in a comfortable seat within an Obama administration. Perhaps she'll finally return to fighting a republican strong-hold in New York State. I'd like that! Since she's forgotten about us for the past year and a half (being her title as senator)

In my opinion, I think Clinton was happy to not get the VP pick.

Can't believe these people who are supposed to be "journalists" keep pushing speculation as truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 AM

11,448 posts, read 14,493,465 times
The NYTs reported a couple days ago that Clinton asked not to be vetted unless she was to be the pick. That should be the end of the discussion, but the 24/7 media is more interested in "reality" tv scenarios and drama than actual journalism.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:53 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,712,810 times
If he is so smart, than why is EVERYONE that surrounds him miles and miles smarter and more politically in tune.

Its like, they name the college intern the company CEO; a person who is not nearly the most qualified to lead.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:57 AM

11,448 posts, read 14,493,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
If he is so smart, than why is EVERYONE that surrounds him miles and miles smarter and more politically in tune.
To make a valid argument, you can't use your opinion as a barometer. You'd actually have to provide the readers with some sort of evidence to back you childish claims.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:00 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,708,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,224,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The NYTs reported a couple days ago that Clinton asked not to be vetted unless she was to be the pick. That should be the end of the discussion, but the 24/7 media is more interested in "reality" tv scenarios and drama than actual journalism.
Thank you. The cable media wanted her to be his pick so they can tear her to shreds, I think both Hillary & Obama knew that, thus his pick was for Biden.... who can really trash Biden all that much? Without having any "news" they're trying to create this rift between Obama and Clinton.

Since conceding, she put all of her support behind Obama, and still does even without the VP nomination.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,673,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
In my opinion, I think Clinton was happy to not get the VP pick.
She never would have accepted it. She wanted top of the ticket or nothing.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,008,342 times
Of course he's smart. He's a Rhodes scholar. What is McSame? A POW. How much smarts does it take to bomb civilians and get shot down and be held in a prison camp? He went through a horrendous experience, but that experience is not a prerequisite for the Presidency, in fact, I would say his experience clouded his judgment so that is all he can think of most of the time.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,622,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What is McSame? A POW. How much smarts does it take to bomb civilians and get shot down and be held in a prison camp?

Don't know. Give it a shot and tell us how you did. I imagine it is tougher than it sounds.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,227,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Don't know. Give it a shot and tell us how you did. I imagine it is tougher than it sounds.
It was tough for thousands of POWs, most of whom were not "special" or "a bargaining chip" to their captors, and many of whom were not considered "rehabilitated" enough to resume their previous duties by the Armed Forces within a year and a half of their release. (These are the ones who even made it home, of course - who were not forgotten.)

But dont you feel a little used when Johnny Mac, his campaign, his current supporters and, now that it's in their interest, the GOP continually shove his experience of 40 years ago into your face, challenging your knee-jerk patriotism - when he himself has said many times, "I have a reluctance to talk about my experiences?"

Doesnt it rather define his character that he doesnt mind using it when it suits his political purposes?
What McCain went through in the North Vietnamese POW camps is an unimaginable, unfathomable horror. The word "heroism" doesn't really capture it sufficiently. It is a singular experience, and it defies human nature to expect that it wouldn't have been the crucible through which McCain's essence was formed. But it's becoming a verbal tic, the equivalent of Rudy Giuliani's noun-verb-9/11. Does it honor or cheapen that experience to use it to bat away unrelated questions about, say, how many homes you own, or whether you truthfully entered a cone of debate-silence or what influences your musical taste? By bringing up the POW experience at opportunities like these, McCain is clearly trying to bait Obama into seeming to attack that experience. That's a really unfortunate move that's entirely beneath the character of a man who endured what McCain endured.
Spencer Ackerman at firedoglake

And at the same time they call on that same knee-jerk patriotism to "shame" you into excusing his equally character-defining Florida experiences, five years later?

I mean dont you see through this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections