Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:57 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,477,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Of course he's smart. He's a Rhodes scholar. What is McSame? A POW. How much smarts does it take to bomb civilians and get shot down and be held in a prison camp? He went through a horrendous experience, but that experience is not a prerequisite for the Presidency, in fact, I would say his experience clouded his judgment so that is all he can think of most of the time.
While highly inteligent, Obama is NOT a Rhodes Scholar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,023,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Don't know. Give it a shot and tell us how you did. I imagine it is tougher than it sounds.
I am sure it is tough, but there is little you can do in that situation. It does not take brains to be a pow. It has nothing to do with brains, maybe endurance, but you pretty much end up doing what they ask of you.
McCain broke. No disgrace. Under pressure everyone will eventually.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,023,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
While highly inteligent, Obama is NOT a Rhodes Scholar.
You know, you're right. I apologize. I guess I was thinking of Clinton. I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere. I stand corrected. Obviously, I am not such a learned person.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You know, you're right. I apologize. I guess I was thinking of Clinton. I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere. I stand corrected. Obviously, I am not such a learned person.

Well, you may have thought that because he did receive a Rhodes Scholarship to attend Occidental College.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,254,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Well, you may have thought that because he did receive a Rhodes Scholarship to attend Occidental College.
? He may have gotten a scholarship there but it wouldnt have been a Rhodes.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
? He may have gotten a scholarship there but it wouldnt have been a Rhodes.
I stand corrected. I read this somewhere and am having trouble finding it. Maybe because it's not true and was pulled.

Thanks for the correction delu.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,630,470 times
Quote:
It was tough for thousands of POWs, most of whom were not "special" or "a bargaining chip" to their captors, and many of whom were not considered "rehabilitated" enough to resume their previous duties by the Armed Forces within a year and a half of their release. (These are the ones who even made it home, of course - who were not forgotten.)

But dont you feel a little used when Johnny Mac, his campaign, his current supporters and, now that it's in their interest, the GOP continually shove his experience of 40 years ago into your face, challenging your knee-jerk patriotism - when he himself has said many times, "I have a reluctance to talk about my experiences?"
I consider it part of the political process rather than anything personally motivated. All politicians perform actions I feel are reprehensible by any normal person but are accepted and even expected from a politician. I look past those things to try and discern the personal motivations and core beliefs. These often have little to nothing in common with what comes out of the candidates mouth. This is also completely independant of party affiliation.

I recognize that a person might have difficulty speaking on a personal matter until they have become innured to the emotions it brings up. McCain might have been reluctant as a result of the guilt or shame his breaking brings to his mind, or perhaps just the painful memories of what was done to him to bring about his breaking. His actions after that moment do more to define him than his failure of the moment.

I think it is normal for someone to focus on the degrading aspects of such a time and only allow those feelings to dissapate when continually supported in a positive manner on retelling the events. Such is normal in a therapeutic setting and I don't see why being forced to tell his story in public with a group of invested supporters giving him such adoring feedback would be any less helpful than a therapy session. After a few of these sessions I would be surprised if he didn't actually start looking forward to repeating his story for anyone who will listen.

Quote:
Doesnt it rather define his character that he doesnt mind using it when it suits his political purposes?
No more than it does that Obama attended a church for 20 years and never realized what the preacher was saying. I know, low blow, but just as relevant to his character as McCain's past history. Everyone makes mistakes and learns from them. What is learn is more important than the mistake.

Quote:
And at the same time they call on that same knee-jerk patriotism to "shame" you into excusing his equally character-defining Florida experiences, five years later?

I mean dont you see through this?
Sure. It is politics as ususal. I also recognize that during a year end sales event at the car dealership no dealer loses money on the cars they sell. That doesnt mean the sale is a bad thing. It is just part of the whole drama designed to snag your interest. Only Words. Words have meaning and sometimes the meaning is Look at Me! I have no message at the moment, but I want you to keep looking at me until I do. All politicians use that trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections