Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,035 times

Advertisements

As an Independent (former Republican) I looked at all the resumes a year and a half ago...and Senator Obama stood out from the rest as the kind of intelligent, forward-looking leader that our country desperately needs right now. He has the judgement we need. He has the ability to inspire us as individuals...I know many people who were cynical about our government, myself included, who are now more involved in our communities. That is how real positive change will come about...from the bottom up with a leader who can help motivate and guide us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
You know if Obama's followers don't watch it they are going to **** off the Jesus-freaks, gun-slingers, white trash, trailer trash and rednecks and they are going to end up losing this election for Mr Obama. Mr Obama and Mr Biden both seemed to have been very respectful up to this point, yet you don't see that from their followers. I even read one person on here who said that being nice applied to Mr Obama and his staff but not their followers. So just keep on insulting people because they aren't like you and it's going to end up biting you in the butt.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
You know if Obama's followers don't watch it they are going to **** off the Jesus-freaks, gun-slingers, white trash, trailer trash and rednecks and they are going to end up losing this election for Mr Obama. Mr Obama and Mr Biden both seemed to have been very respectful up to this point, yet you don't see that from their followers. I even read one person on here who said that being nice applied to Mr Obama and his staff but not their followers. So just keep on insulting people because they aren't like you and it's going to end up biting you in the butt.
Senator Obama has repeatedly called for his supporters to leave the mudslinging to the other side. We have the superior candidate and solutions to the problems this country is facing...that is all we have to keep putting out there. True...and thanks for the reminder. Sometimes it is easy to get carried away on here since there are so many smears against Senator Obama.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
When putting the resume of Barack Obama beside that of John McCain, it is quite remarkably laughable. Laughable that ANYONE would think Obama has anything but a sparse, pitifully thin record. Maybe the least educated can be duped, after all they stand to get the most freebies out of a win. Guess they are not that stupid!

So what people are left with is an image, a visual, of a tall handsome guy who can give a good speech (provided the teleprompter works), and is expert at glib, smooth double speak. All show, glitz, glamour, hollywood style politics. Poor Bill, no wonder he hates him!

This how we pick em now?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I am voting for Barack Obama and I'm sure that many of you can come up with countless reasons why I should not vote for him, and I respect your right to your own opinion. I know that some of you will be voting for John McCain and I can also come up with a long list of reasons why you shouldn't, but I will leave that alone for now. Because I really have only one request for anyone and everyone who will be voting in November. Please look at the records and resume of the candidates, please understand their goals and their vision for America, above all, please do not vote for the person that you "relate to" the most. The issues that we are facing in this country are much too serious to reduce this election to little more than a popularity contest. Thank you.
OK thanks but right now I have to get back to Die Hard on TNT...somebody has to know what to do in case Barry squeaks by..........he'll probably call Bruce Willis anyway...

Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,263 times
I could care less about all the political mudslinging taking place in public, but I am getting cranky over all the personal mudslinging taking place here. We have a topic here and it is not you, it is not me, and it isn't about the other guy.

I hope that Obama wins, but whatever the outcome, this is all I ask...

Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM

835 posts, read 1,322,177 times
I find it very simple to say Obama is not our best choice. Obama's tax plan includes raising corporate taxes...he says he will give a break to those companies that promote US jobs. Okay so for the past 5-10 years SBO’s have accounted for 75% of the job growth. The US has the second highest tax in the industrialized world second only to Japan who will lower their rate this year making the US the highest. Obama will raise taxes on SS and Medicare/caid essentially wiping out any tax break he was giving to companies who produce jobs and we are back to the original problem. Business has a single goal to make a profit. When a country has high taxes investors and business move to a country with lowered taxes producing a larger profit. Obama's tax plan has SBO's paying over 50% in taxes. I don't know about y'all but I will not work for less than half, and I don't believe anyone else would either.
McCain will lower the corp. tax rate to 25% putting us in the bottom half of the OCED and investors will come flooding in producing jobs and a strong economy. For me it is simple, I own my business and I don't want to close shop leaving my 30 employees without a job as Obama raises my tax rate to 58%. There are several other reasons but this is my first priority.

Quote:
27 of 30 OECD countries have adopted one or more ways of reducing or eliminating dividend double taxation. Only Ireland, Switzerland, and the United States do not relieve double taxation. However, Ireland’s corporate tax rate is just 12.5 percent compared to the U.S. federal rate of 35 percent.

Didn't we fight two wars over dbl. taxation....

U.S. Corporate Taxes: Still Second-Highest on Planet Earth - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)
http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb-0301-12.pdf

Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I am voting for Barack Obama and I'm sure that many of you can come up with countless reasons why I should not vote for him, and I respect your right to your own opinion. I know that some of you will be voting for John McCain and I can also come up with a long list of reasons why you shouldn't, but I will leave that alone for now. Because I really have only one request for anyone and everyone who will be voting in November. Please look at the records and resume of the candidates, please understand their goals and their vision for America, above all, please do not vote for the person that you "relate to" the most. The issues that we are facing in this country are much too serious to reduce this election to little more than a popularity contest. Thank you.
His record and his goals for America and the issues were are facing are EXACTLY the reasons I am voting for McCain!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Well said. I think anyone who isn't a gun-slinger or Jesus freak, who looks at all the evidence, will see the Obama is clearly a MUCH better choice.

I'm a gunslinger, and I'm voting for Obama.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:15 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You assume we haven't? People DO vote for people who share their values and who they can relate to, and that has nothing to do with a popularity contest. It's how MOST people vote.
Sharing values is a very broad way of looking at things, and I'm not sure how relating to someone can ensure electing the right person for President. I'm sure that both Obama and McCain (Biden & Palin as well) have some values that I share and other values that maybe aren't so important to me. I also think that for the most part, they are all fairly likeable people. I can't say that I personally relate to any of them, but I honestly don't understand why I would need or want to relate to them. Their lives are all very different than mine and their ambitions have led them to a place that I admire, but I can't say it's a choice that I would ever make.
Their vision for our country, the policies that they would try to implement, their ability to lead in a time of crisis, these are the most important things to me and I really think they should be the deciding factor in who is chosen, regarless of who you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections