Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

As someone who is a registered Republican and leans libertarian, while I won't vote for Bob Etheridge, I'm hoping he wins against that dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks Ellmers, especially after that mosque ad. I can't vote for either since I'm in NC-4, not NC-2, and I'll still "throw my vote away" on the libertarian candidate, but out of the two I actually find myself hoping that he wins.

Ellmers has no business telling a property owner what they can do in a different state. She oozes big government, and while Bob is a bully, he refused to get involved...which is good enough for me as government should refuse to get involved in private property matters such as this.

Anyone have one of these types of situations where you actually hope the opposing party wins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:00 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Yes, in fact during the last election.

I voted for Barack Obama, but also voted for Republican's for Congress in the vain hope that they'd succeed in controlling at least one House. I did the same thing in 2000 when I voted for G.W. Bush (but I wasn't fooled again in 2004) while voting all Democrat for Congress.

It's my firm conviction that our liberties are most safe when neither party controls the whole thing.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Is this the congressman who grabbed a student videographer by the back of the neck and wouldn't let go? All because they asked him a simple question?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Is this the congressman who grabbed a student videographer by the back of the neck and wouldn't let go? All because they asked him a simple question?
It is. I didn't say I liked the guy. Ellmers has no business telling a land owner what they can or cannot do with their own property, much less in a city and state that is not in her district. Until that ad, I was all in favor of her considering she's a nurse and her opinions on health care. I'm stumping for Lawson in the 4th, a hard core fiscal conservative republican in his nearly intractable enemy, David Price. Even my other registered Republican friend has admitted that while she detests Etheridge for his bullying tactics, that it pales in comparison to bullying property owners vis-a-vis legislation trying to prohibit the freedom to build the way they wish.

I've met Ellmers at a GOP pow wow here in Raleigh. She may be relatively nice, but she's as dumb as a box of rocks and Etheridge is going to save his seat because he actually acts more conservative on issues like this. He's smart enough not to comment on an issue that is not local to North Carolina. Ellmers basically drank the Palin kool-aid and got suckered into playing to the neo-con base. Joe six pack North Carolinians aren't going to play into that.

If Ellmers apologized tomorrow and made a sincere move towards assuring property rights like a conservative should, then I'll reinvestigate her.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I'm more interested in races outside of my state. Neither the Governor candidate nor the House of Reps candidate was my first or second choice in the primary in my state but both look like they are easy GOP wins. We have no Senate races this year. Both my senators are Republican.

I gave money to a candidate who didn't win in the primary and also donated to Sharron Angle and I think, Marco Rubio (early on).

I would support a conservative Democrat governor but not a a Senate or House Democrat, conservative or not. As I have said before, there's no such thing as a Blue Dog Democrat when Pelosi cracks her whip and Reid just "bribes them with goodies" to follow his lead. The Governors can at least govern conservatively.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, in fact during the last election.

I voted for Barack Obama, but also voted for Republican's for Congress in the vain hope that they'd succeed in controlling at least one House. I did the same thing in 2000 when I voted for G.W. Bush (but I wasn't fooled again in 2004) while voting all Democrat for Congress.

It's my firm conviction that our liberties are most safe when neither party controls the whole thing.
I think like you do.

Absolute power corrupts and it does so equally to both Republicans and Democrats.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm more interested in races outside of my state. Neither the Governor candidate nor the House of Reps candidate was my first or second choice in the primary in my state but both look like they are easy GOP wins. We have no Senate races this year. Both my senators are Republican.

I gave money to a candidate who didn't win in the primary and also donated to Sharron Angle and I think, Marco Rubio (early on).

I would support a conservative Democrat governor but not a a Senate or House Democrat, conservative or not. As I have said before, there's no such thing as a Blue Dog Democrat when Pelosi cracks her whip and Reid just "bribes them with goodies" to follow his lead. The Governors can at least govern conservatively.
I gotta disagree about ----'there's no such thing as a blue dog Democrat"

Collin Peterson ( D-MN) is one and a highly repected one.

He voted against the bailouts and against the healthcare bill.
He was the ranking Democrat on the House Ag Committee and became chairman when the Democrats took control of the house.

When he became chairman, the praise coming in from Republicans was overwhelming as they stated he always strived to make the Ag Committee bi-partisan and work across the board.

He should win easily in November in his rural district of NW Minnesota.

No, he doesn't jump when Obama or Pelosi --crack the whip.

In fact, it was presumed he would be appointed as Obama's Sect of Ag.

However, Peterson came out early stating he had asked Obama not to consider him as he remembered the fallout from Jimmy Carter's Russian grain embargo and how his friend ( Bob Berglund.....also a Democrat from NW Minnesota) got his reputation tarnished because he was Sect of Ag under Jimmy Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections