Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama has revealed his anti-gun bias against law-abiding people. Does this make YOU:
More likely to vote for Obama because he is anti-gun for law-abiding citizens. 2 4.17%
Less likely to vote for Obama because he is anti-gun for law-abiding citizens. 9 18.75%
I will vote for Obama no matter what, even if he were to murder someone. 1 2.08%
I will NEVER vote for Obama, no matter what, even if he is hailed as the Messiah. 34 70.83%
Not sure / don't know. 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:25 AM

607 posts, read 926,453 times

Advertisements

How is not being in favor of concealed weapons, but allowing people to have them, contradictory? Not being in favor of something doesn't mean you think it should be illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 05:23 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,412,432 times
Barack Obama on Gun Control

Alphecca » Obama on Gun Control, Again

Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Gun Deaths Drop in Michigan as Concealed Carry Permits Rise

"Six years after new rules made it much easier to get a license to carry concealed weapons, the number of Michiganders legally packing heat has increased more than six-fold.
But dire predictions about increased violence and bloodshed have largely gone unfulfilled, according to law enforcement officials.

The incidence of violent crime in Michigan in the six years since the law went into effect has been, on average, below the rate of the previous six years. The overall incidence of death from firearms, including suicide and accidents, also has declined."

Michigan sees fewer gun deaths — with more permits [Archive] - THR

Also interesting:

Academic studies of concealed weapons laws that generally allow citizens to obtain permits have shown different results. About two-thirds of the studies suggest the laws reduce crime; the rest show no net effect, he said.
It hasn't changed my views about him. Seems like most people now-a-days desire gun control. I still think that we should be allowed to own guns and rifles. Looks like the supreme court will take care of the issue.

The one thing I think that we should all consider is that a candidate has a right to change his views as he becomes more involved with the issues and thinks things over. If someone found something I said many years ago, which was that a woman has a right to have an abortion, and then listened to me now, I would be saying that I am against abortion except to save a woman from death. And they would then call me a liar from what I said in the past.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,139,266 times
Honestly, having never owned a gun, and not coming from a gun owning family, I really have not given a whole lot of thought to his (or Clinton's, or McCain's) stance on gun issues. I don't live in a concealed/carry part of the country so I find the concept a bit strange, but I realize that it is more common that it is not so I haven't really lost a whole lot of sleep over that either.

HOWEVER, I have lived in a neighborhood before where I heard gunfire at night, and a teenager was just shot to death on my street last summer, my friend's partner was killed by gunfire, so I did lose some sleep thinking about that, so honestly, what I would really like is for kids and gangs not to be able to get their hands on guns. But the way things seem to be going in this country, that is just a pipe dream I feel.

Also, you have to consider his background. As a community organizer on Chicago's south-side, living in a city where already this school year 20 school aged children been murdered by someone wielding a gun, I completely understand where he is coming from (I know the neighborhoods he's worked in and have driven through them) and understand how he would come to feel the way he does (I sort of agree with him). But I also realize that there is a larger world out there with a different relationship to guns and he does as well. Hence why when he moves from dealing with the issues of a small urban area and from the issues of a state that has been historically more restrictive than most when it comes to gun laws, he will have to measure some of his previous stances to take on a larger constituency.

Last edited by j33; 04-06-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,517,740 times
He's an idiot and will not get my vote or my guns.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,250,019 times
Any topic that starts out with, "Liar" whomever, is borderline trolling since you are placing the conclusion before the premise.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,213,117 times
He voted on passing a ban on guns in Illinois years ago.

The easiest way to take control of the nation is to disarm the citizens.

I have never liked Obama and will never vote for him.

The Second Amendment must not be thrown out.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,469,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I'm stumped on what you mean by the "murder option"?..
I will vote for Obama no matter what, even if he were to murder someone.

That option. The poll is biased, realistically leaving Obama supporters no good options, not worth my vote

Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,484,071 times
Default WARNING: Liar Obama now says he is 100% anti-gun; weeks ago he said he's ok with gun rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
People, this is yet ANOTHER wake-up call for America. Obama is now revealing his true intentions... and basically admitting he was telling LIES when he said he wants to respect the 2nd Amendment.

Ladies and gentlemen:

Please do not feed this troll

Old 04-06-2008, 09:38 AM

523 posts, read 1,286,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
It hasn't changed my views about him. Seems like most people now-a-days desire gun control. I still think that we should be allowed to own guns and rifles. Looks like the supreme court will take care of the issue.

The one thing I think that we should all consider is that a candidate has a right to change his views as he becomes more involved with the issues and thinks things over. If someone found something I said many years ago, which was that a woman has a right to have an abortion, and then listened to me now, I would be saying that I am against abortion except to save a woman from death. And they would then call me a liar from what I said in the past.
First paragraph:
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion! If anything, I think more and more people are realizing that the laws ALREADY on the books are more than enough.

As for the second paragraph. Too bad people didn't fell that way about Mitt Romney. Then we'd actually have a GOOD candidate in the race.

For those of you who have no real opinion on gun carry-permits, I would like you to remember that many small business owners must regularly carry cash to and from the bank, all alone, often after dark. All it takes is one person to know your schedule, and you are a walking target/cash machine.

How can YOU expect these hard working people to walk around unprotected to become easy prey to every crook and crack-head out there?? Criminals will ALWAYS have guns.

So yes this Obama/Gun stance is a BIG deal to me. If he wants me and my husband to do OUR jobs without the benefit of security (guns) then HE should fire his secret service protection. My life is just as valuable as HIS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections