Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,130,398 times

Advertisements

It is pretty interesting how little real support John McCain has. Once the democratic primary is resolved, McCain will be forced to defend his platform of basic ignorance combined with deferring to the Bush policy.

If McCain was my guy, I guess I'd be forced to base my campaign on what the other guy's wife/pastor/college-aged campaign volunteer as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,252,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Yes, he was a POW. Besides that, in what ways would he be a good President, and how would he be different from Bush?

Anyone? Anyone?
He's better then the alternative.. Not sure any other reason is needed..

Old 03-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
He's better then the alternative.. Not sure any other reason is needed..
That's the best you can do? Elect an older, more senile version of George Bush to a third term because Obama's got a wacky pastor and Clinton's a Clinton?

Like I said, that strategy won't work once Dems stop fighting with each other and ignore McCain.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,014,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
If anyone is naive when it comes to politics, it would be a person who believes that we can grant the government the ability to spy on any American phone calls or emails without any oversight, and the Good and Noble government will only use this power to protect us.

There isn't a government in the history of the world, including our own, that hasn't been found to use its ability to spy on its own people against the people. Your faith in Big Brother is troubling, but I could see why you would vote McCain. Anyone who values more war, higher deficits, and bigger government intrusions in our lives would surely be happy with him.
Do you not get it? The HAVE and STILL are wire tapping. Are you one of those people that close you eyes because if you can't see it, it is not happening.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Do you not get it? The HAVE and STILL are wire tapping. Are you one of those people that close you eyes because if you can't see it, it is not happening.
Thanks for the enlightenment, chief. However, I never claimed we AREN'T doing so.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM

558 posts, read 387,595 times
Yes you can wire tap - WITH A COURT ORDER!!! Not whenever and however you please! It's called a WARRANT approved by a JUDGE!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,219,324 times
One reasons is that McCain could say in front of a Senate oversight committee, "I don't recall" and he wouldn't be lying, making for anything as being, "plausibly deniable". sigh... reminds me of Reagan's last term.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:19 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,014,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
One reasons is that McCain could say in front of a Senate oversight committee, "I don't recall" and he wouldn't be lying, making for anything as being, "plausibly deniable". sigh... reminds me of Reagan's last term.
Very cute.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,946,261 times
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have very similar voting records and policy proposals on the issue of taxes, sharing a strident antagonism towards lower tax rates and economic freedom. While in the Senate, John Edwards voted against a 1999 tax relief package that would have repealed the Alternative Minimum Tax[1] and against repealing a tax increase on Social Security benefits.[2] He and Hillary Clinton both voted against the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts[3] and against repeal of the Death Tax.[4] Barack Obama joined Clinton in opposing the extension of the Bush tax cuts;[5] in opposing the extension of decreased tax rates for capital gains and dividends;[6] and in support of the cigarette tax hike contained in the SCHIP bill.[7]
Obama and Edwards are also planning on solving the current Social Security crisis by raising the amount of income subject to Social Security taxes,[11] while Hillary Clinton is ambivalent, publicly ruling out such a proposal but privately expressing interest.[12]

if you want to hang onto any of your own money, mccain might be the best choice of the 3 candidates running at this time. i have finally given up having another candidate come forward.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:34 PM

9,428 posts, read 14,379,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if you want to hang onto any of your own money, mccain might be the best choice of the 3 candidates running at this time. i have finally given up having another candidate come forward.
Ron Paul is still technically in the running and it's not over yet; the convention still has to be held and, though most Congressmen may have forgotten, the Congress is a branch of government.

Anyway, to be sure, from this perspective, McCain is the lesser of the three evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections