Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,195,084 times

Advertisements

Obama has been in elective politics for about 12 years and has always had white support. IL, after all, is not predominantly black. For some reasons, he managed to thrive without playing the race card before he went statewide. That's not big habit among black politicians in majority black districts.

His support may be due to the fact that he was an activist, but not a civil rights activist, who tend to be confrontational. He has also built bridges to all sorts of constituencies. Few folks seem to understand that it is hard to get along with some entrenched black politicians, especially those who consider a person from Hawaii as an elite outsider. Obama needed sharp elbows to deal with some of the black politicians from the west side.

I think his main achievement is being a Chicago politician who avoided the bribery and other illegal acts which seem rife in that area.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Obama is half white and was raised by his white mother, which everyone (the entire country) doesn't think about. Raised in Hawaii too, which I don't think is one of the more racist states. I realize that "one drop" makes you black, but, believe me, his mother's influence counts for alot. That's how I grew up as well.

Not sure how this fits in the this particular thread, so I'm interested in others' thoughts. Didn't want to start a new race related thread...
My children are half White. We raised them first as human beings. When they became socially aware, they identified as Black. Not because we coerced or influenced them, but because their/our society recognizes each other as such.

Like it or not (admit it or not), that's just part of American life.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:42 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,195,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Or, I know... we'll call it "affirmative action": Two equally qualified, so we'll take the one with more melanin to "redress" our sins.
No, that's called "The Expiation Factor", by Democrats and Republicans and they try to minimize its effects. That's why the GOP tries to play 'big tent' and say that their party is open to black folks. Its not to attract black people -- the ploy is to keep white people from considering the largely white party racist.

Tricky!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,866,048 times
Obama's speech in New Hampshire, made into a song "Yes we can"

Dipdive.com (http://www.dipdive.com/ - broken link)

Wanted to see what you guys thought? I think his speeches appeal to people of all races.

If I need someone to do my taxes or represent me in court, Hillary gets my business. For leadership, Obama's my guy.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,527,461 times
Quote:
But, unlike Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky, it’s apparent you’re UNABLE TO PERFORM as requested.
There were several assertions you made on this thread you still haven't provided evidence for. Evidence, you understand? If there's anyone who is not able to perform as required of basic rational discourse, it is you.

Quote:
OMG, look sugar bear, I’ll lay it out for you: If you vote on RACE, your vote is IRRATIONAL. Deal with it.
Prove that they voted on the basis of race. This is your bone of contention, your "theory", right? So where's the beef? Of course, you could not prove this coz all you got are your preconceived ideas of why blacks voted the way they do.

Quote:
So much said and not a lick of substance.

A clear hallmark of those accepted into the fold as a foot soldier in the ranks of St. Obama of Illinois.
Your ability to discuss this issue has clearly deteriorated that you now have to resort to name-calling. Does the sight of black people voting for whomever they chose bother you that it affects your ability to think logically? What is it about black people exerting their rights that riles you so much?

You have no evidence that black people were irrational or racist when they voted for Obama. You did not even get the chance to talk to them. All you have are your preconceptions about an observed phenomenon you could not explain except through the lens of your own racist worldview.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,527,461 times
Quote:
Or, I know... we'll call it "affirmative action": Two equally qualified, so we'll take the one with more melanin to "redress" our sins.
You're going off tangent here. What does affirmative action have anything to do with what we're talking about?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:56 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Considering the percentage of black people that are voting for him, I think you would have to say that the white voters are less prejudiced than the black voters. I hope within my lifetime, we will stop worrying about what race a person is.

Hmmm...I wonder what the percentage of white voters are that wouldn't vote for him just because he is black? or how many women would vote for Clinton just because she is a woman?

You are right, I hope in my lifetime too we will stop worrying about what race or gender a person is

Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
There were several assertions you made on this thread you still haven't provided evidence for. Evidence, you understand? If there's anyone who is not able to perform as required of basic rational discourse, it is you.
The PROBLEM is I HAVE provided at least circumstantial evidence for my position. INTERVIEWS with black voters, internet postings by black voters, and FIRST HAND accounts from blacks in my life who, unlike you, have no problem coming out and saying what is OBVIOUS to everyone else.

This isn’t criminal court, “preponderance of the evidence” is more than enough to make my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf
Prove that they voted on the basis of race. This is your bone of contention, your "theory", right? So where's the beef? Of course, you could not prove this coz all you got are your preconceived ideas of why blacks voted the way they do.
See above. Because, when it comes right down to it, when over 80% of a subgroup votes one way, it’s got to be SOMETHING. Either they’re a monolithic, hive mind and all have the same “black issues” that famous-for-being vague Obama “speaks to,” or they’re exercising their dream and privilege to vote for a viable black candidate. Either one has tinges of “racism” to the unsophisticated debater. In one instance, they’re an indistinguishable block of “all the same.” In the other, they vote on identity.

Quote:
Your ability to discuss this issue has clearly deteriorated that you now have to resort to name-calling. Does the sight of black people voting for whomever they chose bother you that it affects your ability to think logically? What is it about black people exerting their rights that riles you so much?
Lol!!!! I hope you don’t talk like that in “real life.” That sort of garbage has no effect on me. We’re not in a college freshman sociology seminar here. Let’s try to be original, ok?

Fact is you don’t know a damn thing about my family, my associations, or my history to even BEGIN to use that psycho babble liberal guilt speak with me. I can probably guarantee that unlike the vast majority of the other “white affluents” that skew towards Obama, I’ve spent a lot of time in the trenches working with the oppressed – black, white, Hispanic - than they EVER have. I'll put my record up against ANYONES. Including yours.

Quote:
You have no evidence that black people were irrational or racist when they voted for Obama. You did not even get the chance to talk to them. All you have are your preconceptions about an observed phenomenon you could not explain except through the lens of your own racist worldview.
Try to keep up:

IF (and given the EVIDENCE I have presented, many blacks have) someone (ANYONE) EVER votes because of “race,” that is as irrational as only voting for blondes.

Last edited by TriMT7; 02-06-2008 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Great, and here come the Obama "post down graders." PLEASE have the courtesy to leave your name next time.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:17 PM

58 posts, read 57,547 times
Irrational Votes do not just exist in gender or race. Hilary.. a democrat is as authoritarian as Bush, but she has the term "Democrat" labeled on her. People who are Republican may vote for a Republican Candidate but with interesting liberal views. (Ron Paul comes to my mind)

I highly doubt many African-Americans would vote for Obama if he was running for Republican Nomination.

Sadly this Debate is like America's Next Top Model. (Season 5 is my favorite ) Being presentable, and articulate holds a strong influence on people. Etiquette is important in every manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

But yeah, racially motivated votes ARE irrational. So are votes based on who’s dressed better, or who is more handsome. Even voting for someone because they’re from the same town is an irrational vote at its core. The presidency is not “America’s Next Top Model.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections