Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,527,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't have to show a link that black votes for Obama because he's black are RACIST, because, I repeat, I NEVER SAID THEY WERE RACIST.

I've asked you repeatedly to find where I said blacks were being racist for voting, but you have failed to do so. THAT is something you pulled out of your head.

Stop lying. Your whole theme on this thread has been that blacks voted as a bloc for Obama because they share the same physical characteristics with him. You accuse them of being irrational and of falling for racial identity politics. That's a racist generalization that you are peddling here. It's an insult to blacks since you are implying that they are incapable of going beyond racial considerations when making their political decisions. The links you provided are simply mass media-produced stereotypes that you so enthusiastically lapped up to bolster your racist views.

The mass media didn't interview hundred thousand blacks for these articles; they cherry picked samples of voters who expressed pride in voting for Obama because he is a black man. Even so, the voters didn't say this was the sole reason they voted for Obama. Yet you extrapolated from these articles that hundreds of thousands of blacks must be irrational.

If I were to cherry pick a few white voters who say that their white pride caused them to vote for Hillary Clinton, does that entitle me to generalize that hundreds of thousands of whites must have voted for Hillary Clinton as a bloc because they share the same physical characteristics with her? It's absurd, yet this is precisely what you are asserting with respect to blacks.

The fallacious nature (ie false generalization) of these articles is obvious, yet you used them to buttress your case that blacks vote as a bloc on racial grounds. You need to think beyond sound bites and mass media-driven stereotypes.

On the Obama quote you provided: I challenge you to show me where Obama said that blacks will vote for him simply because they belong to the same racial group. Obama in fact never said that. You are putting words in his mouth. Obama was acknowledging the African American interest in his candidacy because he addresses their concerns, but he never said it was because they shared the same physical characteristics. That came from you putting words in his mouth. By the same token, the youth turn-out has increased with Obama not because they share the same age group but because he speaks to their concerns. What, are you also going to lambaste young people for being irrational?

Quote:
The entire philosophy that blacks are "dependent" on whites and the welfare state and can't apparently make up their mind as to which party best represents THEIR issues, OR to realize when and if they're being "used as pawns" is what exposes you as a fraud on this issue.

Don't be silly. Blacks are making up their own minds. They decided to support Obama. I support them for doing that, while you call them irrational. You demonize them because they rejected your preferred candidate Hillary Clinton. Blacks should be able to vote for whomever they please without their decision being questioned by racist hacks like you.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Really, I'm done arguing with a white Republican on this issue. You can take a voter from the Republican party, but you can't take the Republican out of the voter.

If any BLACK DEMOCRAT out there would like to challenge the idea that blacks are rallying behind the first viable black candidate...because he's black and they relish the chance to vote for him ... or that Obama meant anything other than exactly that blacks would rally to him, I would be interested in YOUR opinion.

I've already confirmed my point of view with a couple of black Obama supporters in MY life (again, the males, as the black females I know go for Hillary even though I originally thought they were Obama supporters earlier last year).

Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
If any BLACK DEMOCRAT out there would like to challenge the idea that blacks are rallying behind the first viable black candidate...because he's black and they relish the chance to vote for him ... or that Obama meant anything other than exactly that blacks would rally to him, I would be interested in YOUR opinion.
I'm not a Democrat, but I'm Black and support Senator Obama. I first heard of him in 2003 while he was running for the U.S. Senate. During that campaign, I heard him on various radio shows and was quite impressed with his work; his vision; his background; and his potential.

Now, I'm not from Chicago. But if I heard of him while living in California, then the people in Illinois--a state with a significantly large Black population--had certainly heard of Obama. But Obama didn't stumble onto easy street just because he's Black. Many years ago, he lost his initial bid for the Illinois State Senate to Bobby Rush, a former member of the old Black Panthers. Let me repeat, Senator Obama has never received Black support just because he's Black. He's had to earn every bit of the support that he enjoys.

This notion that Black voters simply vote in blocs because we see one of our own, is quite easily refuted by the failed candidacies of Alan Keyes, Al Sharpton and Carol Mosley-Braun. None of whom received very much Black support.

Last edited by backfist; 02-07-2008 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-07-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
This notion that Black voters simply vote in blocs because we see one of our own, is quite easily refuted by the failed candidacies of Alan Keyes, Al Sharpton and Carol Mosley-Braun. None of whom received very much Black support.
That's what I thought. Black people are not stupid. They vote for black candidates whose platforms resonate with their own aspirations, not because they're black.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
Now, I'm not from Chicago. But if I heard of him while living in California, then the people in Illinois--a state with a significantly large Black population--had certainly heard of Obama. But Obama didn't stumble onto easy street just because he's Black. Many years ago, he lost his initial bid for the Illinois State Senate to Bobby Rush, a former member of the old Black Panthers. Let me repeat, Senator Obama has never received Black support just because he's Black. He's had to earn every bit of the support that he enjoys.

But my position is more than that, despite what Republicans in Democrat clothing asserts. It's that blacks finally have a candidate that is VIABLE. Iowa was a watershed. Reports were coming out how blacks feared Barack wasn't "electable," but that Iowa changed their minds when they saw that white folks WOULD vote for him, and now welcome the chance to vote for a black man over Hillary, who they still like, but want to give a black man a real chance.

I will READILY admit that MANY women are voting for Hillary over Barack BECAUSE of her sex.

BARACK admits he can increase the black vote by 30%.... I think we can all cut the crap and realize he was saying that blacks will vote for him because of the "first black president" thing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmlf
That's what I thought. Black people are not stupid. They vote for black candidates whose platforms resonate with their own aspirations, not because they're black.
Except they're too stupid to "see the Republican" light, right? Too stupid to not be pawns in the Democratic machine, too stupid to realize their salvation lies NOT in standard democratic principles and platforms, but in the Republican agenda.

Paging Dr. Credibility gap.....

Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Except they're too stupid to "see the Republican" light, right? Too stupid to not be pawns in the Democratic machine, too stupid to realize their salvation lies NOT in standard democratic principles and platforms, but in the Republican agenda.

Paging Dr. Credibility gap.....

Give it a rest dude. You've already exposed yourself to be a racist. People can readily see that. Putting words in other people's mouths is not helping your case.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
But my position is more than that, despite what Republicans in Democrat clothing asserts. It's that blacks finally have a candidate that is VIABLE. Iowa was a watershed. Reports were coming out how blacks feared Barack wasn't "electable," but that Iowa changed their minds when they saw that white folks WOULD vote for him, and now welcome the chance to vote for a black man over Hillary, who they still like, but want to give a black man a real chance.

I will READILY admit that MANY women are voting for Hillary over Barack BECAUSE of her sex.

BARACK admits he can increase the black vote by 30%.... I think we can all cut the crap and realize he was saying that blacks will vote for him because of the "first black president" thing!!
A very polite way of marginalizing.

It's not just "blacks" who finally have a candidate who's viable. America has a candidate who's viable, appealing, charismatic, and who happens to be Black. Women of all colors of supporting him (even though Hillary is running) all colors are supporting him. Men of all colors are supporting him (even though Edwards and Dodd and Biden Kucinich were running). People of many faiths are supporting him (even though he's a member of a "Black church").

You'r asking people to acquiesce to your rather prejudicial point of view because it sounds plausible. But your point of view, no matter how "reasonable" it may seem to you, continues to be without foundation.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

It's not just "blacks" who finally have a candidate who's viable. America has a candidate who's viable, appealing, charismatic, and who happens to be Black. Women of all colors of supporting him (even though Hillary is running) all colors are supporting him. Men of all colors are supporting him (even though Edwards and Dodd and Biden Kucinich were running). People of many faiths are supporting him (even though he's a member of a "Black church").

You'r asking people to acquiesce to your rather prejudicial point of view because it sounds plausible. But your point of view, no matter how "reasonable" it may seem to you, continues to be without foundation.
Excellent post. My sentiments exactly.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times
I'm a white male, and I think it's about time this country had someone other than a white male for president. But I didn't vote for Obama because he's half black. I voted for him because I agree with him the most out of all candidates and feel he has the best chance at beating McCain.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,200,840 times
Seems we can't have any discussions about Obama or race without it becoming a series of personal insults, insinuations, and a flame war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections