Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you believe WILL get the Democratic nomination for president?
Hillary Clinton 45 45.92%
Barack Obama 43 43.88%
Other 2 2.04%
Don't know and don't care! 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,989,569 times

Advertisements

Obama will likely get the nomination from my current vantage point.

He's got key Democrat endorsement already, more than enough money, endorsement of Oprah (say what you will, but the "O" factor cannot be denied), campaign momentum, and lastly there's a lot less you can say negative about Obama than you can about the Clintons (it's just a fact that Hillary will be associated with less change, NAFTA, China, and India when the mud slinging really gets going).

The key thing Hillary Clinton has going for her is that there is a "Clinton Machine" in US politics... they are wired in with some very influential people. Just as Bush was wired in via his father's efforts, I think Hillary Clinton may already have the right decision-makers on her side to pull off winning the nomination even if it appears that she is losing momentum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:22 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Washington DC is replete with political hacks possessing a similarly impressive resume.

If anything, Obama's right on time. People are done with DC-style politicians serving themselves and ignoring us.

Exactly. Where has all that "experience" got us? Hillary has worked but never accomplished a thing. With her, it's all in what she spouts - empty words. I would rather take my chances on someone new and fresh than the old devil we know.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In the end it will be Hillary vs McCain

and our next president will be?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,428,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Exactly. Where has all that "experience" got us? Hillary has worked but never accomplished a thing. With her, it's all in what she spouts - empty words. I would rather take my chances on someone new and fresh than the old devil we know.
Wrong. Hillary has a proven record of results.

AND she has something that Egobama does not: EXPERIENCE in the Washington machine.

Yes, she failed to bring about her healthcare initiative in the 1990s, AND she has LEARNED from it. Right now we have a half-cooked healthcare proposal from Mr. Change and Hope, and no specifics or experience on how he plans to implement that plan.

Additionally, Hillary, unlike Obama HAS been an agent for change not only in this country (she has key experience in working with Republicans to develop SCHIP even after the nationalized health initiative failed. As mentioned yesterday, she actually did more as First Lady internationally than Barack, as chairman of the European Affairs subcommittee, managed to do. (He’s been so busy running for president, he’s not only managed to neglect his duties as Senator, but hasn’t managed to make it over to Europe. Not once.)

When ministers from Northern Ireland recently came to the US, they had the obligatory meeting with President Bush, and then asked to meet with HILLARY (not even Bill!) Clinton, because of her role in the Northern Ireland Peace process.

Those who can’t see Hillary’s record for TRUE change (not just some BS about cops in Illinois), have their heads stuck up in the clouds with their candidate!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:04 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,548,781 times
Hillary has "EXPERIENCE in the Washington machine".

Hmmm, experience in the culture of DC ...

Seems that the "experienced" DC politicians are part of the problem.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM

58 posts, read 57,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I like Obama, but Hillary has to get the nomination, this country is not ready for a black president yet
Don't even start with that, America is ready for a Black President Obviously you are not.

If America wasn't ready then how come he is doing so well at the moment? Tell me what African American Candidate has gotten this far in the Presidential Nomination at this point? -- Do not judge candidates by their race or gender, but how they will help the economy

im voting for Hilary, I support her because she seems promising. Hilary = and honestly she will probably suceed ahead.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Hillary has "EXPERIENCE in the Washington machine".

Hmmm, experience in the culture of DC ...

Seems that the "experienced" DC politicians are part of the problem.
So what's your solution? Unless we're replacing ALL of Washington DC, you're going to have one man trying to get things done with everyone else playing the SAME GAME.

Hillary TRIED to accomplish radical change in healthcare access in the 1990s and was SHUT DOWN by the Washington machine. She made mistakes, but has learned what works, and what doesn't.

Obama? HIS leadership or policy experience in Washington?

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? ...... Buehler?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM

[

AND she has something that Egobama does not: EXPERIENCE in the Washington machine.

That a good candidate does not make. I doubt very much she would understand much of anything were it not for her very shrewd, and knowing husband.

Yes, she failed to bring about her healthcare initiative in the 1990s, AND she has LEARNED from it.

[i]What has she learned? Can she do it differently? She has yet to prove anything, really.[/I
]
Additionally, Hillary, unlike Obama HAS been an agent for change not only in this country (she has key experience in working with Republicans to develop SCHIP even after the nationalized health initiative failed.

Is that your definition of an agent for change? Working with Republicans? I admit she's worked with a hell of a lot of people but still has accomplished nothing on her own which she sure could have done as First Lady. She could have worked with the children much more (even Laura Bush does more than HC did as First Lady. That was the time to prove her mettle and her caring and sincerity.

As mentioned yesterday, she actually did more as First Lady internationally than Barack, as chairman of the European Affairs subcommittee, managed to do. (He’s been so busy running for president, he’s not only managed to neglect his duties as Senator, but hasn’t managed to make it over to Europe. Not once.)

When ministers from Northern Ireland recently came to the US, they had the obligatory meeting with President Bush, and then asked to meet with HILLARY (not even Bill!) Clinton, because of her role in the Northern Ireland Peace process.

Again, her husband's accomplishments. After all, it's she who is running,not he though one would be hard pressed to know this.

Those who can’t see Hillary’s record for TRUE change (not just some BS about cops in Illinois), have their heads stuck up in the clouds with their candidate![/quote]

[I]Who says I even have a candidate. I am explaining why she is a bad choice.Say what you will; it doesn't change a thing.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,481,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Obama will likely get the nomination from my current vantage point.

He's got key Democrat endorsement already, more than enough money, endorsement of Oprah (say what you will, but the "O" factor cannot be denied.
Yea kinda like the 'christians' that came out and put GW over the edge last election

Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta;

[I]Who says I even have a candidate. I am explaining why she is a bad choice.Say what you will; it doesn't change a thing.
It's clear you have a candidate. It's also clear that you have a different standard of "experience expectations" for Obama vs. Hillary.

I disagree with the entirety of the rest of your post. Specifically that Laura Bush has "done more" than Hillary did. The women of Senegal have never honored Laura Bush for a pivotal role for outlawing female genital mutilation in parts of Africa, for example.

What DOES Laura Bush do, anyway? Read books to kids? How original and revolutionary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections