Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Obama did better in Georgia than both Gore and Kerry both times, by a pretty decent margin. 4 of the 14 House members from Georgia are black. Certainly not proof that Georgia will elect a black Senator, but there is certainly a chance. I think the chance increases if Georgia becomes a swing state and the democratic party invests in some solid party infrastructure there.
Obama did better because he energized the black vote in GA, which is substantial.

Blacks can win House seats in the south. That's not news.

But a senate seat in Georgia? Uh uh. Nope. Again, if Chambliss went after a white Vietnam vet like Cleland who was a sitting senator, just imagine what he'd do to an African American threatening his seat. He'd DESTROY Cain in a primary. He'd play race cards that they haven't invented yet. It's GEORGIA....it'll work like a charm.

Don't be naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Obama did better because he energized the black vote in GA, which is substantial.
Which is exactly why a black candidate could win.

Quote:
Blacks can win House seats in the south. That's not news.

But a senate seat in Georgia? Uh uh. Nope. Again, if Chambliss went after a white Vietnam vet like Cleland who was a sitting senator, just imagine what he'd do to an African American threatening his seat. He'd DESTROY Cain in a primary. He'd play race cards that they haven't invented yet. It's GEORGIA....it'll work like a charm.

Don't be naive.
I'm not saying it's likely, historically there haven't been a lot of black Senators anywhere and I'm certainly not saying Herman Cain could win a Senate seat or even a primary. And yes, Chambliss has zero morals, but a black Senator from Georgia is not completely out of the question.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Which is exactly why a black candidate could win.

I'm not saying it's likely, historically there haven't been a lot of black Senators anywhere and I'm certainly not saying Herman Cain could win a Senate seat or even a primary. And yes, Chambliss has zero morals, but a black Senator from Georgia is not completely out of the question.
You fail to mention that most black people here in GA don't like Herman Cain. Regardless of what you may think about Obama's election, Obama was a Dem. Black people will vote for a white Dem over a black GOPer like Herman Cain. Contrary to the opinions of many GOPers on this site, black people don't vote on race. We vote for way more white candidates than black ones when it comes to presidential and senate races amongst others.

He also pissed off a lot of people in regards to his comments about why black people don't go to Tea Party events. When he announced his campaign for presidency he insinuated that black people don't come to his events because we "can't afford to." LOL. I work down the street from where he announced. Here in Atlanta, we have a large black middle class and quite a few rich black people who can afford to go downtown to Centennial Park. People with a MARTA pass (public transit) can afford to go there because it is right off of a train station lol. Black people didn't go to his events because they didn't support him. They wouldn't support him over a white Democrat here in GA. If Cain actually got the nomination, he'd win, because GA is a GOP stronghold. The black vote would contribute nothing to his gains. He said too much crap for people to vote for him.

I admit, I'd vote for him in the primary, mostly because I don't like Saxby Chambliss, I think he is a GOP puppet. But I'd vote for whoever ran against Cain in the general election.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM

753 posts, read 727,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You fail to mention that most black people here in GA don't like Herman Cain. Regardless of what you may think about Obama's election, Obama was a Dem. Black people will vote for a white Dem over a black GOPer like Herman Cain.

He also pissed off a lot of people in regards to his comments about why black people don't go to Tea Party events. When he announced his campaign for presidency he insinuated that black people don't come to his events because we "can't afford to." LOL. I work down the street from where he announced. Here in Atlanta, we have a large black middle class and quite a few rich black people who can afford to go downtown to Centennial Park. People with a MARTA pass (public transit) can afford to go there because it is right off of a train station lol. Black people didn't go to his events because they didn't support him. They wouldn't support him over a white Democrat here in GA. If Cain actually got the nomination, he'd win, because GA is a GOP stronghold. The black vote would contribute nothing to his gains. He said too much crap for people to vote for him.

I admit, I'd vote for him in the primary, mostly because I don't like Saxby Chambliss, I think he is a GOP puppet. But I'd vote for whoever ran against Cain in the general election.
Precisely.

Some people just don't get this. They think blacks will vote for a black Republican just because, you know, he's black like them. Now, it's not very often that a black Republican runs a statewide race against a white Democrat. But it does happen now and then. For example, it happened three times in 2006, in MD (a Senate race) and OH and PA (both Gubernatorial races).

What happened?
In all three races, blacks voted overwhelmingly for the white Democrat.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
You fail to mention that most black people here in GA don't like Herman Cain.
I didn't fail to mention it. It's irrelevant to my point. I'm not arguing that Herman Cain could win. In fact, if you read the rest of the part of my quote in your response to me, I outright say I don't think Herman Cain could win the election or even the primary. My point it that a black candidate could win in Georgia, not any specific black candidate. I exclusively mention Democrats as examples and I mention Democratic party infrastructure, so I'm not sure what you are getting so riled up about.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
I didn't fail to mention it. It's irrelevant to my point. I'm not arguing that Herman Cain could win. In fact, if you read the rest of the part of my quote in your response to me, I outright say I don't think Herman Cain could win the election or even the primary. My point it that a black candidate could win in Georgia, not any specific black candidate. I exclusively mention Democrats as examples and I mention Democratic party infrastructure, so I'm not sure what you are getting so riled up about.
Didn't get riled up.

Just wanted to point out that just because a candidate is black doesn't mean that us blacks here in GA will vote for him. You implied that because Obama had a larger than normal black turnout here in GA, that black Georgians would potentially come out in support of another black candidate. A couple black candidates have run in GA for senator that I remember over the past 10 years and none of them have won. IMO the only way a black person will become a senator here in GA anytime soon, is if that black person was a republican. The black republican would win, because GA is a republican state. The black people would not overwhelmingly support a black Republican, especially not Herman Cain. So any GOP candidate black or white would win without a large amount of support from black Georgians even though they will come out in higher numbers to support Obama.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I think it would happen. You seem to think the south is still of racist rednecks running around in sheets...quite different actually.
Oh really do tell?

Inside the New Ku Klux Klan

Sheets, cross burnings, hoods and the virulent hatred of Black people.

Just like the good ole days.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

When Jesse Helms was in trouble in S.C. against Harvey Gantt, he ripped out that race card so fast that heads spun. It worked. Quite well thank you very much.
Jesse Helms was from North Carolina unfortunately, with that said if DeMint gets his way South Carolina may soon have its first black senator.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Didn't get riled up.

Just wanted to point out that just because a candidate is black doesn't mean that us blacks here in GA will vote for him. You implied that because Obama had a larger than normal black turnout here in GA, that black Georgians would potentially come out in support of another black candidate. A couple black candidates have run in GA for senator that I remember over the past 10 years and none of them have won. IMO the only way a black person will become a senator here in GA anytime soon, is if that black person was a republican. The black republican would win, because GA is a republican state. The black people would not overwhelmingly support a black Republican, especially not Herman Cain. So any GOP candidate black or white would win without a large amount of support from black Georgians even though they will come out in higher numbers to support Obama.

I'm not in any way saying blacks will automatically vote for a black candidate. I'm saying given the black population and the right candidate, a black candidate could win in Georgia. I was responding to someone who said a black candidate could never ever in a million year get elected in Georgia.

Georgia may have two Republican Senators now but it has a strong history of electing Democratic Senators. Just 10 years ago Georgia had two Democrats as Senators and if politics in Georgia becomes a swing state in the next 8-12 years as many people are predicting the Democratic party organizing will only get better in Georgia.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Yes I do.
Nah. Cain was in it for the vanity. He wanted the grand prize, and isn't interested in the consolation prize at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections