Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,087,106 times

Advertisements

Sir, I think you are guilty of stereotyping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Enough. Point out where my post is wrong.

A black senator from a deep southern state? I don't think so.

I'm from Arizona, but for the purposes of this thread, consider me to be from Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,046,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
cain has said he has no interest in the seat but who knows.

Poll: Herman Cain tops Saxby Chambliss in primary - POLITICO.com

Sure, everyone knows that Chambliss is too librul.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,549,645 times
HeyCain, what do you know about Libya?

Cain: "Libya...Libya...um, was she wearing the red blouse...?"

Hey , if Georgian republicans want to nominate a guy who has has no idea what's happening to the senate, Then that's their right. It doesn't make them look good, but we are discussing the same political party that gave us Akin and Mourdock, so I can't say I'm shocked.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,310,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I think it would happen. You seem to think the south is still of racist rednecks running around in sheets...quite different actually. Like I said the black candidate for Governor a few years back got over 1 million votes in Ga.
No, i'm not saying anything like that. I freely acknowledged that the South and Georgia in particular has changed. How much it's ACTUALLY changed is what i'm questioning. Until i see it, you can't convince me that Georgia would ever elect a black senator regardless of party. I can't see how the math would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Show me!
For real!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Sir, I think you are guilty of stereotyping.
No. I'm just calling it like i see it.

Senators LOVE the senate, and will do what they have to to keep those seats. If you think for a minute that Chambliss won't pull out all the stops against Cain, you're kidding yourself. History shows that these white southern Republican senators don't let go easily.

When Jesse Helms was in trouble in S.C. against Harvey Gantt, he ripped out that race card so fast that heads spun. It worked. Quite well thank you very much.

When Harold Ford ran against Bob Corker for an open senate seat in Tennessee, Corker used the best card he had when it got tight...portray Harold Ford as a guy who was at the Playboy Mansion with white women. White women!!!! Yea...it worked. Like a charm too.

Look at how Chambliss treated Max Cleland, a decorated war veteran. Ran him down like a dog. If he'd do that to a white war veteran and sitting senator, what do you think he'd do to Herman Cain in a primary? LMAO...you guys are naive.

Like i said, show me if i'm wrong.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,104,247 times
Quote:
It's Georgia, and it's a Senate race. Georgia ain't what Georgia once was, but it hasn't changed THAT MUCH!! Cain isn't about to beat Chambliss in that state. If you think Chambliss was nasty against Cleland some years ago, you ain't seen nothing yet if his primary opponent is Cain. He'll go all out Jesse Helms if his back is against the wall, and in Georgia, he can't lose if he does that.

Besides, we just had an election. You guys are already worrying about the next one? Damn.
OMG, you really don't know much about some of the southern states do you? Ga isn't Mississippi. There is no reason a black person could not win in GA or the Carolinas, as well as Florida. Who would have thought a black women could win in Utah? No, she didn't but it was darn close...That being said, I doubt he would consider running. All the crap about his private life would come alive again. His days in politics are over, they never really got started.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,310,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, you really don't know much about some of the southern states do you? Ga isn't Mississippi. There is no reason a black person could not win in GA or the Carolinas, as well as Florida. Who would have thought a black women could win in Utah? No, she didn't but it was darn close...That being said, I doubt he would consider running. All the crap about his private life would come alive again. His days in politics are over, they never really got started.
Mia Love is a mayor in Utah, and Mormons love their black converts. No surprise there. And yea, she had a shot at a house seat.

But she could NEVER win a senate seat in Utah. No way.

A black person might have a tiny chance in North Carolina at a senate seat, but Georgia? Hell no. Not in a million years. Until i see it, i'll never believe it. And there is a tiny possibility a black candidate could win a senate seat in Florida, but the stars would have to line up perfectly for it to happen.

But the rest of the south? Hell no. No chance. It's hard enough to do in a Blue State.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM

753 posts, read 730,122 times
Quote:
The BLACK libertarian candidate in Ga got over 1 million votes in 2010.
A million? Pffft.

John Monds. 2010. 103k votes.

Georgia gubernatorial election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But don't let reality interfere with your claims.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,982,026 times
Quote:
Mia Love is a mayor in Utah, and Mormons love their black converts. No surprise there. And yea, she had a shot at a house seat.

But she could NEVER win a senate seat in Utah. No way.

A black person might have a tiny chance in North Carolina at a senate seat, but Georgia? Hell no. Not in a million years. Until i see it, i'll never believe it. And there is a tiny possibility a black candidate could win a senate seat in Florida, but the stars would have to line up perfectly for it to happen.

But the rest of the south? Hell no. No chance. It's hard enough to do in a Blue State.
Obama did better in Georgia than both Gore and Kerry both times, by a pretty decent margin. 4 of the 14 House members from Georgia are black. Certainly not proof that Georgia will elect a black Senator, but there is certainly a chance. I think the chance increases if Georgia becomes a swing state and the democratic party invests in some solid party infrastructure there.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,867,920 times
Quote:
Sweet!I hate Chambliss.
I hate Chambliss as well and actually would vote for Cain over him just to get rid of him.

And FWIW, I am a black person and I do think Cain would have a chance at beating Chambliss, only if Cain didn't have that knack for sexually harrassing white women lol. If that hadn't happened, then Cain could potentially beat Chambliss, but I highly doubt it being Cain has that stain in his past.

Here in GA, the populace is actually very forgiving of the GOP candidates who have checkered pasts. Our current governor was under investigations for ethics violations when he was elected. The same sort of forgiveness would not be extended to Cain. The old adage that black people have to be 10 times better than a white person to succeed is true and is especially true here in GA GOP politics IMO. Cain would not get past the primary, which is a shame as I know people who personally know Herman Cain and they say he is a decent guy. Also that he puts up a front in front of the white people. Due to this, I don't have a lot of respect for him because blacks acting different in front of white people, to me is considered the definition of cow-towing and is pathetic IMO. In other circumstances, Cain could have a chance, but since he has that history with the white women, he would not have a chance as that would be the source of many commercials. Like desertdetroiter mentioned in regards to Ford in TN, Cain would be shown with all sorts of white women in the commercials and it would be true!!! LOL. So that would bring out all the hardcore racists, and I will admit, both black and white, who would vote against Cain for that reason alone. Lots of native Georgians I have come across don't believe in "mixing the races."

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,761,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
A million? Pffft.

John Monds. 2010. 103k votes.

Georgia gubernatorial election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But don't let reality interfere with your claims.
In 2008, Monds became the first Libertarian Party candidate in Georgia and the rest of the United States to receive over 1,000,000 votes, when he ran for the Statewide office of Public Service Commission District 1 seat in 2008.[5] Monds received 1,076,726 votes for 33.4% of the vote in a two-way race with only a Republican opponent.[6] His vote total was highest number of votes that a Libertarian candidate has ever received in a United States election at any level, until Gary Johnson received 1,139,562 votes in the 2012 presidential election[7] [8] Monds also received the highest percentage of the vote ever for a Libertarian in a statewide race.[5]

Sorrrrryyy it was for a different race where he got over 1 million votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections