Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,671,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I started this thread in hopes that we could see some ideas for solutions. Thank you to the posters who have the vision to see that as long as people play the blame game and try to one up no compromise can be possible. No compromise means the Nation only suffers.
Unfortunately hardliners ruled the day and still use every opprotunity to regurgitate talking points and place blame.
Compromise in my view is:
Simplify the Tax laws.
Cuts to the big spending areas including the Military budget. I have asked many times and have yet to get an answer. Why do we need 11+ carrier battle groups?
When we talk about the B-2 bomber. No doubt an amazing plane. The cost right at 2 billion a copy. How many do we need?
Domestic spending is also out of control. I would rather see a few fist fights on the house floor and then finally achieve a balanced budget than the we just wont do anything approach.
Obama is not a communist, he is not a muslim terrorist and he is not satan. I disagree with most of his policies but if he won I would try to find a common ground for the sake of the nation.
Screw the party politics. The nation is in crisis and the two sides need to find a way to meet in the middle.
Reagan did it, Clinton did it, George Bush sr did it. Not by themselves, but because our elected reps moved towards consensus.

We all love our children. We all love our country. I refuse to play the who loves their country more game.
The hardliners on this forum illustrate exactly why the nation is in trouble.
Is it possible for people to post some reasonable ideas?
Excellent post and worthy of a well-thought, reasoned response. Thanks for putting things back in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,671,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you can see it because you are an extremist and will believe whatever insanity suits you.
And you're not?

98% white in Scotland? Yeah, right. Like everybody but you know what you mean.

Balderdash!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,821,081 times
Quote:
you can see it because you are an extremist and will believe whatever insanity suits you.
The only extremist is Willard. His mormon faith is one of the most important things in his life. Hell he ran off to France to dodge the draft for his religion.

If you think he's not going to force any more huge government like he did in MA with the very strict gun laws, you are out of your mind.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Willard is a devout mormon and alcohol is banned/strictly regulated in many parts of the country, especially in the bible belt. Mormons are forbidden from alcohol, tobacco, even things like coffee and tea. I could fell see him passing a prohibition style bill again.
Like he tried to do in Massachusetts?

Quote:
You're right. Paranoia has a nasty habit of getting in the way of logical thinking. To begin with, TempesT68 apparently doesn't understand how a bill becomes law. The President of the United states doesn't "pass bills." There is absolutely nothing in Romney's history that even remotely suggests that he'd even want to do such a thing. And even if he did want to, I believe there's this little entity known as "Congress" that needs to get involved.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
Quote:
The only extremist is Willard. His mormon faith is one of the most important things in his life. Hell he ran off to France to dodge the draft for his religion.

If you think he's not going to force any more huge government like he did in MA with the very strict gun laws, you are out of your mind.
And Obama never served either.
The extremists are all the hardliners who believe that only thier party can be right. What you hardliners are blind to is that by not holding your own party equally accountable you become the problem. Parties fear their own. They know that the majority of the opposition won't cross party lines. Perish that thought. They also know that hardliners out number free thinkers. The day voters start taking their party to task is the day our elected reps start paying attention to the voter. They all crave power and to stay in power.
Tempest do you honestly believe that you are any different than a right wing hardliner? You behave exactly the same way. Your posts are hate filled rhetoric. You seldom offer solutions or admit that your own party is capable of owning some of the blame. I have yet to read a post where you fault your own party for anything yet you demand that those on the right do it.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:42 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
His mormon faith is one of the most important things in his life. Hell he ran off to France to dodge the draft for his religion.
That's right. Romney did serve a Mormon mission in France. What evidence can you provide to support the notion that he did so for the purpose of dodging the draft? As a devout Mormon, he would have been looking forward to serving a mission when he turned nineteen for probably close to ten or twelve years -- long before he or any other American had even heard of Viet Nam. Had there been no war, he'd have still ended up serving a mission. Now you can go right ahead and criticise him for being a person of faith if you like, but you certainly can't prove that he served a mission with the intent to avoid the draft.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,161,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's right. Romney did serve a Mormon mission in France. What evidence can you provide to support the notion that he did so for the purpose of dodging the draft? As a devout Mormon, he would have been looking forward to serving a mission when he turned nineteen for probably close to ten or twelve years -- long before he or any other American had even heard of Viet Nam. Had there been no war, he'd have still ended up serving a mission. Now you can go right ahead and criticise him for being a person of faith if you like, but you certainly can't prove that he served a mission with the intent to avoid the draft.
A question for you, as an Aussie regular I was in Nam in 1968, care to tell me why I was there instead of Romney ?
Or, do mormons put duty to their church before duty to their country ?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,377,088 times
Why should the GOP be the ones who "compromise for the good of the nation"? Why shouldn't the Dems be the ones who compromise? Why is it the only way a liberal sees compromise is when everyone bends their way?

If Obama and the rest of the democrats are trying to do the wrong things then they need to be stopped, not compromised with.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
A question for you, as an Aussie regular I was in Nam in 1968, care to tell me why I was there instead of Romney ?
A question for you. What is the difference between Romney and Biden who got 5 deferments?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,005,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I did two tours in Nam from 68 to 70, I really don't care who served or who didn't serve. If Romney was never drafted then it's no big deal, the same with Biden, I could care less.

One of the problems I have with congress is their lack of listening to the American people and doing what ever they choose to at the time. Congress is employed by the people and it seems that most of them forget that concept. Like Obamacare, 60% of Americans do not want this yet the Democratic Congress at that time will tell you (the public) what you want and don't want. Nancy Pelosi famous statement "we have to pass this so we can find out what's in it" is this how you want your government to work. Your congress is elected to represent you and if they pass a bill without first knowing whats in it "How is that representing you", we fought a war over that type of government, Taxation without representation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections