Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just a though, guess who is the only non sat or cable station running coverage of the RNC here in Dallas, PBS.
Same here in Denver. Also NPR on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Some democrats have been disingenuous with this.

Romney won't eliminate NPR, Planned Parenthood etc... They are not government programs, they are private entities that will continue to exist.

Unlike Obama, Romney believes that borrowing 40 cents of ever dollar that the federal government spends is irresponsible.

Therefore, some things that are funded will have to be cut. An adult leader will have to make tough decisions. Some private companies will have to lose funding. NPR gets a very small fraction of its money from the federal government and high ranking employees of NPR have already said that it can survive without it.

Time to stop the scare tactics and tell the truth. We can't keep spending this way.
It's funny, and I mean laughable, that every time it is suggested that the govt. help fund the arts, or people programs, the answer is "we can't afford it". HOWEVER, when it comes to war, and war-related issues, the money is always found. The amount of govt. money NPR gets is a micro-drop in the bucket compared to the defense budget!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Somehow, based on everything you've had to say in past posts, I have a feeling you're a lot more opposed to Romney's religion than you are his platform.

Wow. Not at all presumptuous, are we?
You know, Katzpur, I used to like it when you defended the Mormon religion against some of these morons. But I'm beginning to think you protest too much. It is not necessary to jump on every anti-Mormon post with guns ablazing. Let these folks make fools of themselves. Save your stuff for the big things.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM

26,533 posts, read 15,102,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

It's funny, and I mean laughable, that every time it is suggested that the govt. help fund the arts, or people programs, the answer is "we can't afford it". HOWEVER, when it comes to war, and war-related issues, the money is always found. The amount of govt. money NPR gets is a micro-drop in the bucket compared to the defense budget!
We can't afford it until we get the budget in check. I agree with 2008 Obama that Bush (and extrapolate that to 2012 Obama) is/are "unpatriotic" for borrowing so much money from our future and kids.

No argument about military funding. IMO, the GOP could easily find things to cut in the military budget without weakening our country, but they refuse to.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, Katzpur, I used to like it when you defended the Mormon religion against some of these morons. But I'm beginning to think you protest too much. It is not necessary to jump on every anti-Mormon post with guns ablazing. Let these folks make fools of themselves. Save your stuff for the big things.
LOL! Okay. Actually, I've been trying to do that, but I guess I need to try even harder. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 AM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If Jesus were alive today and had a picture ID I am sure he would not vote for Mitt Romney.
Umm, if Jesus were alive today we wouldn't have Christianity. However, we would have one really old guy wandering through the desert. And in case you've forgotten, Jesus wasn't Christian, he was Jewish. Considering that the Jewish faith of 2000 years ago was squarely based on Old Testament style teachings, I doubt very much that any of us would be voting for anyone if your scenario were reality.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
There are, and will continue to be, plenty of safety nets for the weakest. I am sure Jesus would not vote for the party that is for abortions. And He especially wouldn't vote for Obama who is for infanticide. I also think Jesus would be for the party that offers the most freedom for the individual. And He would be for the most charitable candidate.
I don't think Jesus would've condoned your lying.

Please show proof that Obama condones infanticide ( which is war) anymore than Bush did.

I also think Jesus would be for the party that offers the most freedom for the individual which isn't the Repugs who want to to eliminate the freedom of women.

And hewould be for the most charitable candidate and that would NOT b candidate of the party (Republicans) who hate the poor and have done everything possible to grind them and the middle class into the dirt.

He would not be for the candidate who said, Let 'em foreclose!"

Like "let 'em eat cake!"

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 AM

412 posts, read 685,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Some democrats have been disingenuous with this.

Romney won't eliminate NPR, Planned Parenthood etc... They are not government programs, they are private entities that will continue to exist.

Unlike Obama, Romney believes that borrowing 40 cents of ever dollar that the federal government spends is irresponsible.

Therefore, some things that are funded will have to be cut. An adult leader will have to make tough decisions. Some private companies will have to lose funding. NPR gets a very small fraction of its money from the federal government and high ranking employees of NPR have already said that it can survive without it.

Time to stop the scare tactics and tell the truth. We can't keep spending this way.
NPR and Planned Parenthood are non profits that certainly do rely on government programs to help with funding.
I don't mind cutting programs that don't work but Planned Parenthood does work.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Nobody is ending any of those things in the OP. If you want them, pay for them. In the case of PBS, let them offer advertising like every other TV station. Surely, you would have advertisers who would line up to advertise there because since they are so fair, everyone must be watching PBS and they could charge a lot for advertising. And, if you don't want any advertising, its viewers will just have to be a little more generous.

Nobody is shutting down Planned Parenthood. They'll just have to offer abortion discounts (3 baby murders at half price or bring a friend and get a discount on your first one) and do a volume business to exist just like any other business.

I don't think we should have to pay for train rides on a system that loses money every year. I happen to think AMTRAk is a politician's and news reporter's favorite ride between NY and DC and that's why such a losing operation continues to drain us. You want to pay $16 for a burger, be my guest (not literally ) or put a McDonalds on the train. Maybe just charge more for a ticket.

"NEA: These grants are given in order to strengthen teaching and learning in the humanities in schools and colleges across the nation, facilitate research and original scholarship, provide opportunities for lifelong learning, preserve and provide access to cultural and educational resources and to strengthen the institutional base of the humanities."

National Endowment for the Humanities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like any charity, I need more info on how the tax money is spent. What percent goes to maintaining the bureaucracy and what actually gets to the art ground level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections