Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,234,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Planned Parenthood is funded partly by donations and partly by patient fees, NOW! I'm really losing patience with people who know nothing about health care funding/financing thinking they have the Holy Grail.
Texas sure was sued for our state pulling PP funding, seems like that was partly my money.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas sure was sued for our state pulling PP funding, seems like that was partly my money.
What part of "partly" don't you undestand?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
I feel sorry for the uneducated , uncultured, uninterested, uninteresting, uninvolved, incurious who think the only show on PBS is Sesame Street.....they haven't watched since they were 4 years old. They don't realize or care that PBS is for people whose level of interest goes beyond The Simpson's and football....they'll never understand....they whine about their precious taxes going towards education(PBS) but USE other people's taxes to send their brats to school and not care at all.....something is wrong with these people.

They better not get caught watching the Repug Convention on PBS!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and we all need to pay attention to everything we see on PBS, it is so middle of the road.
Hey, ya gonna be watching the REPUBLICAN Convention tonight on

P B S ?????

Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 AM

OOOPS! No RNC last night!

So good old LIBERAL PBS had some Antiques Roadshow and Red Green!

Good old LIBERAL PBS should have the REPUBLICAN convention on tonight.....it's so nice that despite the Republicans cutting funding THEY still get to air their convention on a station THEY cut funds to........ Nothing like SUCKING off others

Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 AM

11,146 posts, read 10,721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I feel sorry for the uneducated , uncultured, uninterested, uninteresting, uninvolved, incurious who think the only show on PBS is Sesame Street.....they haven't watched since they were 4 years old. They don't realize or care that PBS is for people whose level of interest goes beyond The Simpson's and football....they'll never understand....they whine about their precious taxes going towards education(PBS) but USE other people's taxes to send their brats to school and not care at all.....something is wrong with these people.

They better not get caught watching the Repug Convention on PBS!!!
Oddly enough, every time I turn on PBS something resembling the following scenario happens:

Turn on PBS. "Oh, cool, they're showing a concert. Hmm, Benice is a really good guitar player. This is cool, I'll leave it here for a bit. Wow, this guy really puts on a good show."

~bad cut away from the programming~

"We hope you're enjoying the programming, but we had to break away in the middle of the best part of it to let you know that we need money. We know we just asked for money about 3 weeks ago, but not enough people watch PBS for the donations to add up to anything close to the amount we need in order to pay our salaries. Therefore, we need more money. Send us some. And now, we'll return to the programming right where we left off, even though we've totally destroyed the flow of the music for you."

Sorry, but in the days of worldwide multimedia and everyone having cable television, PBS is an outdated idea that needs to go by the wayside as far as government funding goes. From everything I've read, less than 20% of the revenue for CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the parent of PBS and NPR) comes from the government. That being the case, the business model needs to be changed and those revenues picked up elsewhere.

Bear in mind, while I don't watch much programming on PBS, I do listen to NPR on a regular basis. I realize that eliminating public funding of CPB would also affect NPR, but I would prefer to hear a few commercials on NPR (after all, they already mention their sponsors during almost every break from programming) than see public funding go to operate media outlets.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Oddly enough, every time I turn on PBS something resembling the following scenario happens:

Turn on PBS. "Oh, cool, they're showing a concert. Hmm, Benice is a really good guitar player. This is cool, I'll leave it here for a bit. Wow, this guy really puts on a good show."

~bad cut away from the programming~

"We hope you're enjoying the programming, but we had to break away in the middle of the best part of it to let you know that we need money. We know we just asked for money about 3 weeks ago, but not enough people watch PBS for the donations to add up to anything close to the amount we need in order to pay our salaries. Therefore, we need more money. Send us some. And now, we'll return to the programming right where we left off, even though we've totally destroyed the flow of the music for you."

Sorry, but in the days of worldwide multimedia and everyone having cable television, PBS is an outdated idea that needs to go by the wayside as far as government funding goes. From everything I've read, less than 20% of the revenue for CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the parent of PBS and NPR) comes from the government. That being the case, the business model needs to be changed and those revenues picked up elsewhere.

Bear in mind, while I don't watch much programming on PBS, I do listen to NPR on a regular basis. I realize that eliminating public funding of CPB would also affect NPR, but I would prefer to hear a few commercials on NPR (after all, they already mention their sponsors during almost every break from programming) than see public funding go to operate media outlets.
Well ya, less funding because of scared Republicans equals more pledge drives....yes, the economy is bad and private citizens can't give as much.

That doesn't mean the station should be eliminated..as REPUBLICANS obviously want(RIGHT AFTER THEIR CONVENTION IS TELEVISED)

I turn on PBS and see Ken Burn's exceptional documentaries on things like baseball(guess Repugs hate baseball AND education), great singers like Bocceli and Pavoroti( way too high brow for Repugs), a wealth of cooking shows, nature shows, concerts from opera to blues and rock and Springsteen, biographies, hobbies, architecture, history, antiques, sports and , the scariest for Repugs..SCIENCE and ART shows!!

Repugs motto: Taxes to the wealthy? YES! Taxes for middle class entertainment and/or education? NO!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM

412 posts, read 685,062 times
PBS and NPR try to maintain non-partisanship. They rely on facts not conjecture.
It's amazing how many people are bothered by (and want to argue with) facts.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
PBS and NPR try to maintain non-partisanship. They rely on facts not conjecture.
It's amazing how many people are bothered by (and want to argue with) facts.
Yup! They deal in facts which is why Repugs think they're "liberal"

Wonder how many Anti-Public TV Republicans will watch their convention on PBS???

Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OOOPS! No RNC last night!

So good old LIBERAL PBS had some Antiques Roadshow and Red Green!

Good old LIBERAL PBS should have the REPUBLICAN convention on tonight.....it's so nice that despite the Republicans cutting funding THEY still get to air their convention on a station THEY cut funds to........ Nothing like SUCKING off others
I thought the RNC was cancelled until today? Did I miss something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections