Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,969,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Can you explain to me what tangible benefits Mitt Romney offers in terms of upholding civil rights and increasing economic, and educational opportunities for Black Americans?
On civil rights, a Romney win means the racist and incompetent Eric Holder no longer has a job as AG.

On your second point, Romney is going to increase economic and educational opportunities for ALL Americans. He's not pandering to your ethnic bloc, and that's a good thing.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,311,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Keepin' dem blacks on the Dummycrat Plantation, yo.
Can you explain what tangible benefits that Republicans offer Black Americans when the fundamental policy of the Republican Party is use the hatred of racists white voters to garner political support for the last 45 years?

USATODAY.com - GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics

Quote:
Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman apologized to one of the nation's largest black civil rights groups Thursday, saying Republicans had not done enough to court blacks in the past and had exploited racial strife to court white voters, particularly in the South.
Lee Atwater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As a member of the Reagan administration in 1981, Atwater gave an anonymous interview to Political Scientist Alexander P. Lamis. Part of this interview was printed in Lamis' book The Two-Party South, then reprinted in Southern Politics in the 1990s with Atwater's name revealed. Bob Herbert reported on the interview in the 6 October 2005 edition of the New York Times. Atwater talked about the GOP's Southern Strategy and Ronald Reagan's version of it:

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "N****r, n****r, n****r." By 1968 you can't say "n****r" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N****r, n****r."
That is a nutshell is large part of political strategy of the Republican Party especially in terms of appealing to White Southern voters.

It's pretty obvious which party has a national political strategy to "Keep Black Americans On A Plantation".

As long as that is the case you won't have large numbers Black Americans voting for Republicans.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My family is mostly from Angola, not Nigeria thank you very much. A large percentage of Africans brought to the Carolinas were from Angola and were requested due to their knowledge of rice cultivation which was the largest crops in S. Carolina, which is where my family lived prior to re-locating to OH in the early 1900s.

Going to church means that black people are more socially conservative than other groups (nearly 80% of black people state that they go to church regularly). The large majority of church going people period fornicate - have sex before or outside of marriage. Many conservative Republicans are fornicators. Many poor white Republicans parents are not married. I brought it up because the poster who I was addressing stated that there was no way to court black voters. You can court black voters on social issues because most of them agree with traditional socially conservative family values so that is a start.

I have a cousin who actually had her first job working for the Kerry campaign in 2004 (she even told me he would lose within a couple weeks of her starting but said it was a great job and she learned a lot about our political/campaigning processes). She lives in OH and when they had the vote on whether to allow same-sex marriage, she, as an early 20 something year old voted against it. She was raised in the church by her single mother (my aunt cracks me up because she says she is "married to Jesus" LOL which is why she never got married and never will, she is nearly 60 now and my cousin is her only child). Her mother is extremely religious and they bump heads a lot on other social issues as my aunt does not agree with a lot of things that democrats are for socially but she doesn't feel that republicans respect her as an individual or want her vote so she doesn't vote for them even though she agrees with a lot of what the party stands for, as does her daughter. But my cousin met Obama in 2004 and actually loves him a lot and said he was a really nice guy. He took a series of pics with her and her friends that she shows everyone and she said she spoke to him for a good while and I honestly believe she is just smitten by him so no republican will gain her vote this time around, but in the future, if you went after people like her and me and my aunt with some sanity and sense of normalcy then we would listen to what you have to say.

Oh, and everyone in my family supports vouchers. I have many little cousins and all of my nephews go to private schools in Ohio via the school choice voucher program. I have even convinced many people here in Atlanta in my heavily democratic location that charters and vouchers are a great option for our kids. The majority of all parents want their kids to have a good education and if they can get it, they will support it if it is spelled out in a way that they feel that their kid has a shot at a voucher or good alternative school.
Makes sense Angola is the largest source of slaves in the Virginia colony but later Africans to the USA at least tended to come from Nigeria and the Senegambia region.

Again I simply don't see what real impact the black church has in the community today. I will say though a lot of educated African- Americans I socialize with have conservative views but that rarely translates to GOP votes, racial solidarity trumps ideology I guess.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Makes sense Angola is the largest source of slaves in the Virginia colony but later Africans to the USA at least tended to come from Nigeria and the Senegambia region.

Again I simply don't see what real impact the black church has in the community today. I will say though a lot of educated African- Americans I socialize with have conservative views but that rarely translates to GOP votes, racial solidarity trumps ideology I guess.
We've outlined to you continually why the GOP will never get a substantial number of black votes. Hint: it has nothing to do with racial solidarity.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Lots of AA people descend from Ghanaians as well......so your DNA is as much to blame for our "failures" as anyone else's.
Actually relatively very few Ghanaians were brought to the USA. The largest source of African slaves to the USA were:

1. Angola
2. Nigeria/Cameroon
3. Sengambia

So I'm not sure where you are getting "lots" from. The Ghanaian influence can be seen in the Caribbean islands in particular Jamaica where Maroon settlements were founded by runaway Akan slaves.

Accompong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Accompong is a variation of a very popular Ashanti surname Acheampong.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM

665 posts, read 1,244,576 times
Quote:
Actually relatively very few Ghanaians were brought to the USA. The largest source of African slaves to the USA were:

1. Angola
2. Nigeria/Cameroon
3. Sengambia

So I'm not sure where you are getting "lots" from. The Ghanaian influence can be seen in the Caribbean islands in particular Jamaica where Maroon settlements were founded by runaway Akan slaves.

Accompong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Accompong is a variation of a very popular Ashanti surname Acheampong.
actually your wrong about that alot of african american slaves were brought via the carribean.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Can you explain to me what tangible benefits Mitt Romney offers in terms of upholding civil rights and increasing economic, and educational opportunities for Black Americans?
What exactly do African- Americans need that are separate and apart of other Americans in regards to these issues? The educational opportunities are there for anyone who chooses to seize them. Mitt Romney (nor Obama) can go to school for African- Americans. POTUS can't change the mindset of African- American kids that learning and being smart is 'acting white".

BTW it was Obama whose very first act in 2009 was to gut the DC voucher program which provided educational opportunities to African-Americans. So you're not really being consistent here.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM

The reason why the GOP doesnt get blk votes is because of the southern strategy,heres a qoute from GOP
President Richard Nixon "" Civil Rights is good for the republicans because we can get votes from the white negrophobes"" so what is a group of people suppose to do in the face of that mentality.

then it was Ronald Regan who was against blks rising up against the white south african regime
but he was supporting the Taliban at the sametime.

its the GOP who turned there backs on Blks and Hispanics.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
actually your wrong about that alot of african american slaves were brought via the carribean.
True to a point. In the beginning this was true they called it "seasoning" but by the late 17th century a preference of direct importation emerged because it was thought certain groups of Africans were better for certain regions or worked harder.

At any rate the USA is unique of the slave receiving New World countries in that the fertility rates of African women in the USA was such that it was above the replacement rate. That wasn't the case in the Caribbean. So the need for importation was low in the USA by about the Revolutionary War the vast majority of Blacks were born in the USA. By the Civil War it was 99.5%.

This phenomenon, among others also resulted in American Blacks losing their "Africanness" very quickly.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What exactly do African- Americans need that are separate and apart of other Americans in regards to these issues? The educational opportunities are there for anyone who chooses to seize them. Mitt Romney (nor Obama) can go to school for African- Americans. POTUS can't change the mindset of African- American kids that learning and being smart is 'acting white".

BTW it was Obama whose very first act in 2009 was to gut the DC voucher program which provided educational opportunities to African-Americans. So you're not really being consistent here.
African-Americans are in unique socio-economic conditions, and that whole acting white thing has been debunked in studies considering the fact that blk validectorians were the most popular kids in there schools. Are student Presidents of HBCU's hated lol.

There needs to be considerable Macro-Economic work done to fix the inner city
and rural white america as well,and theres no economic evidence saying tax cuts
will fix the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.