Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM

796 posts, read 505,279 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that blacks will come out in droves to vote for Obama but will not come out as much and have the same enthasium for other blacks in local and state positions. There was a black female city councilwoman who is a democrat (but the entire council in my city is democratic) and a very nice woman I know personally. She is intelligent and experienced. She ran against a white male democratic incumbent (this is his 5th term) for mayor and we didn't come out like we did in 2008. The city adjacent to mine had lost two black councilmen partly because only 16 to 18% blacks didn't come out to support them. I have heard of similiar stories in other areas. Why don't blacks vote on a regular basis and why do we only have the enthasium when Obama is on the ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I have noticed that blacks will come out in droves to vote for Obama but will not come out as much and have the same enthasium for other blacks in local and state positions. There was a black female city councilwoman who is a democrat (but the entire council in my city is democratic) and a very nice woman I know personally. She is intelligent and experienced. She ran against a white male democratic incumbent (this is his 5th term) for mayor and we didn't come out like we did in 2008. The city adjacent to mine had lost two black councilmen partly because only 16 to 18% blacks didn't come out to support them. I have heard of similiar stories in other areas. Why don't blacks vote on a regular basis and why do we only have the enthasium when Obama is on the ticket?
Did she purchase any local media to promote her campaign? Or at least have a field team that posted signs throughout your city?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,964 times
I don't have any input on numbers but I think you will find the numbers are pretty typical of your avg. voter, no matter what color. Could be wrong. Presidential Election is a different beast than other elections.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:53 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:

Obama's election was VERY historic and important. Important in the fact that we had suffered 8 years of a failed Presidency and needed a change. I doubt that most local and State elections would meet that kind of importance.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM

317 posts, read 404,883 times
You would substitute Blacks for young people in your OP. Young people have not traditionally come out in large numbers to vote for any candidate in local elections, at least not in the numbers you saw for Obama. Don't see them as energizes or excited about local politicians. Multiple reasons, one of them was the massive mess Bush made.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Why don't blacks vote on a regular basis and why do we only have the enthasium when Obama is on the ticket?
Maybe, conservative allegations to the contrary, the Obama enthusiasm by blacks was not just about race but concerned his credentials?

A lot of black folks have run for president but did not get the black support which Barack enjoyed.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:35 PM

667 posts, read 940,422 times
Quote:
Why don't blacks vote on a regular basis and why do we only have the enthasium when Obama is on the ticket?
Because Obama is a King of Teleprompter and has better speech-writers!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:40 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,849 times
I would hope blacks and whites come out and vote for a persons policies and not the color of their skin.

How many people are aware that this president's policies are very close to the policies of a president(Wilson) who hated blacks?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM

91 posts, read 119,780 times
Default How come blacks only come out to vote for Obama but not other blacks

Well in Chicago we had a popular Black candidate who once was a Senator who found herself in a couple of illegal situations once she was no longer a Senator. She had handled a couple of sitations in a less than legal manner. Of course there are a lot of politicians who are dishonest and act in an illegal manner. Obama put in the ground work and held the Credentials.

She ran for Mayor and some blacks did not vote for her for that reason. Obama regardless of race was qualified and deserved our votes. Of course as the one Republic promised they would make sure that Obama was the worst President by blocking everything he tried to do and they are keeping their word. "Did you hear him disrespected as no other President would or will be when one of the Politicians called him a lie in a meeting shortly after inauguration?

We have lots of talented, intelligent people qualified for higher office a few have reached those heights.
Some people think we will automatically vote for them because they are black, this has proven not to be the truth. Many of us realize that some of our own people are not concerned with us or our welfare. For those who we feel are concerned with us we turn out on voting day. On the other hand some blacks are not going to come out to vote for anyone on a consistent basis.

Last edited by pajones3; 10-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: additional sentence added

Old 10-30-2014, 03:55 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
A higher percentage of every race go out and vote during presidential elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections