Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM

28,964 posts, read 30,316,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
All politicians get 'slandered'. Herman Cain was dumb enough to think that people were going to ignore his past.
well, no one seems to be concerned with Newt's past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,336,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, no one seems to be concerned with Newt's past?
Nobody would have been concerned with Herman Cain's if he would have just admitted to it and moved on. He denied it, and by denying something that was so obviously true, he kept adding fuel to the fire. So much for his 'unconventional campaign' that political strategists were crowing on about.

As for Newt, I think he'll get his, although in his case, much of the really nasty personal stuff came out already. He's an established name, so his old scandals are old news. It's the new scandals that will make or break him.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
chickenfriedbananas Nobody would have been concerned with Herman Cain's if he would have just admitted to it and moved on. He denied it, and by denying something that was so obviously true, he kept adding fuel to the fire. So much for his 'unconventional campaign' that political strategists were crowing on about.
No one would have ever been concerned with Herman Cain, while no one knew who he was, but when he became popular and people became more interested in him, that is when all this stuff came out...strange also, how do you know it's so obviously true, were you there, did you know any of the so called women? ...money talks and goes a long way, I would be willing to bet, Perry or Newt, started all these rumors, and even paid women to come forward if need be because he was a huge threat of winning...and who was funding all this, those that want Perry to get in...WTO....which is basically made up of rich corporate leaders all over the world....Period.

Quote:
As for Newt, I think he'll get his, although in his case, much of the really nasty personal stuff came out already. He's an established name, so his old scandals are old news. It's the new scandals that will make or break him.
you may be right, on this one to...will be interesting to watch...

Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM

1,332 posts, read 996,125 times
Quote:
All politicians get 'slandered'. Herman Cain was dumb enough to think that people were going to ignore his past.
You mean like people...the media in particular...ignored the associations of obama with Bill Ayers and jerry Wright (the righteous rev)??

Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,851,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
You mean like people...the media in particular...ignored the associations of obama with Bill Ayers and jerry Wright (the righteous rev)??
And yet Rev Wright received more coverage than any other single topic.

Beyond the Master Narratives | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

The story-line or event that has received the most coverage so far is Obama’s relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright, which accounted for 6% of all stories and dwarfed all of the other episodes or storyline of the campaign that didn’t have to do with the horse race itself.

The next biggest story-line is what will happen with superdelegates, which accounted for less than 2% of the stories studied. And that has been followed by Obama’s comments about working-class Americans being bitter about their plight (2% of stories).

Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,886,932 times
Quote:
Everything you think you know about Herman Cain is wrong (http://www.northstarwriters.com/2011/12/05/everything-you-think-you-know-about-herman-cain-is-wrong/ - broken link)

I am convinced, that as long as Cain wasn't known by many people, all was well, but the moment he started to gain popularity, the dirt started flying, and probably by the GOP's. He scared them and everyone else, why? Because he didn't do or say what they wanted to hear...he cared about the people instead of the rich...and corporations.

When I first started watching him, I told a co-worker, that if he started to gain popularity, and was legit...they would slander him...and they did.
No one slandered him, he was taken down by his own hubris. What ever happened to taking personal responsibility, as the Republicans are always lecturing everyone about? The man was caught in a web of his own lies--no one else's. He should have owned that, but he was too much a coward to do so. Herman took Herman out of the race, no one else.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,851,738 times
Quote:
Nobody would have been concerned with Herman Cain's if he would have just admitted to it and moved on. He denied it, and by denying something that was so obviously true, he kept adding fuel to the fire. So much for his 'unconventional campaign' that political strategists were crowing on about.

I gotta believe that sooner or later Newt's well known past will catch up with him. I'm sure their will be plenty of people in the Republican party willing to remind people.

Just as I believe Bill Clinton could not be elected again. Yes I know he is prevented from running for President, but even if the laws were changed, I think we would have a real hard time.

Since Cain has removed himself I really think whatever happened is between him and his wife. Same for Newt until he started running for President.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
I would not call if dumb by any means, niave yes, there is a difference.

Nita

Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 AM

Honestly, and call me naive, but I don't believe Herman Cain did all these things...look at what Newt did, and yet, no one has tried to smear his name, have they, the media isn't reporting about his extra marital affairs, are they, why Cain?

as I said, call me naive, and I could be wrong, but I don't believe all that was said about him....I believe Perry and Newt set him up and his own Republican Party wanted him out of the race, and clearly he was getting some huge attention...other wise, when he was behind and no one knew who he was, nothing was said...?

And the women he supposidly sexually harrassed, I bet they got some pretty substantial pay offs.

I don't care what party he belonged to, I'd feel the same way if he were a liberal...and running...something doesn't fit just right...

Did he sexually harrase anyone....maybe, like most men do, he tried to verbally ask someone out, and they deemed that sexual harrassment? Maybe it was all made up...but I am convinced, that they feared him...making it to the election...

Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Honestly, and call me naive, but I don't believe Herman Cain did all these things...look at what Newt did, and yet, no one has tried to smear his name, have they, the media isn't reporting about his extra marital affairs, are they, why Cain?

as I said, call me naive, and I could be wrong, but I don't believe all that was said about him....I believe Perry and Newt set him up and his own Republican Party wanted him out of the race, and clearly he was getting some huge attention...other wise, when he was behind and no one knew who he was, nothing was said...?

And the women he supposidly sexually harrassed, I bet they got some pretty substantial pay offs.

I don't care what party he belonged to, I'd feel the same way if he were a liberal...and running...something doesn't fit just right...

Did he sexually harrase anyone....maybe, like most men do, he tried to verbally ask someone out, and they deemed that sexual harrassment? Maybe it was all made up...but I am convinced, that they feared him...making it to the election...
I don't believe all of it either, but I do beleive some of it. I do not believe Perry and/or Newt set him up.

As for the Newt situation? He is being raked over the coals for heaven sakes, but remember, what he did is old hat, happened close to 20 years ago (in some cases longer) and he hasn't denied it. There is a huge difference. I still think what happened to Cain was a smear campaign he wasn't prepared to handle.

Now, to be very honest, I don't really care what a candidate does in the bedroom. I do wonder about women who decide to tell all, even who and when they gave a guy a BJ.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections