Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times

Advertisements

By Patricia Zengerle
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mitt Romney has a growing lead in the race for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, and almost half of the party's voters expect him to be the nominee, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.

Twenty-eight percent of Republicans backed the former Massachusetts governor, giving him a lead of 8 percentage points over his nearest challenger Herman Cain in the poll, taken November 10-11.
Romney was 5 percentage points ahead in a survey November 7-8.
Newt Gingrich, the U.S. House of Representatives speaker in the mid-1990s, solidified a recent rise among conservatives seeking an alternative to the more moderate Romney, coming in third place in the current poll with 16 percent.

Gingrich, who is seen as having performed well in recent debates, was viewed as the second-most "presidential" of the Republican hopefuls, according to the poll.

Whether or not they support him, almost half of the Republicans surveyed expect Romney to become the nominee to oppose President Barack Obama, a Democrat, in the November 2012 election.

Romney has clear lead among Republicans: poll | World | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 PM

37,953 posts, read 17,893,612 times
How come there is not an article showing the actual poll? Who was left out? Why no mention of the other candidates?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How come there is not an article showing the actual poll? Who was left out? Why no mention of the other candidates?
"The poll results are from an online survey of 461 Republican registered voters. Because this was an online poll, typical margins of error do not apply." (from the original link)

(That means no valid random sample.)

Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,400,905 times
While it's true that Romney's support hasn't wavered very much, few political pros think online polls count for much.
At this point, I think all polls aren't going to be accurate at all compared to those that will come after the turn of the year. All of the candidates have bounced around a lot since the field became fixed and settled. Look back at the 2007 polls- the situation now is similar to then.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
While it's true that Romney's support hasn't wavered very much, few political pros think online polls count for much.
At this point, I think all polls aren't going to be accurate at all compared to those that will come after the turn of the year. All of the candidates have bounced around a lot since the field became fixed and settled. Look back at the 2007 polls- the situation now is similar to then.

This was not a generic online poll that could be spammed. It was a survey sent to registered Repubican voters in an online format. There were recognized methods used to get a representative sample, but because it was administered online, margins of error do not apply. All polling can be manipulated to some extent and I don't much of it is completely accurate, but it does give a good indicator of how things are trending. I don't know how many times i have seen polls taken right before an election when the one leading does not win.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,212,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
By Patricia Zengerle
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mitt Romney has a growing lead in the race for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, and almost half of the party's voters expect him to be the nominee, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.

Twenty-eight percent of Republicans backed the former Massachusetts governor, giving him a lead of 8 percentage points over his nearest challenger Herman Cain in the poll, taken November 10-11.
Newt Gingrich, the U.S. House of Representatives speaker in the mid-1990s, solidified a recent rise among conservatives seeking an alternative to the more moderate Romney, coming in third place in the current poll with 16 percent.

Gingrich, who is seen as having performed well in recent debates, was viewed as the second-most "presidential" of the Republican hopefuls, according to the poll.

Whether or not they support him, almost half of the Republicans surveyed expect Romney to become the nominee to oppose President Barack Obama, a Democrat, in the November 2012 election.

I noticed that over the weekend that I was called and asked who I would vote for on the republican side. the choices given to me were cain, perry and romney. none of the other candidates were even mentioned. when I asked why no one else was listed, the response I was given was the dial tone of someone who had hung up the phone.

it goes to show how biased polls really are these days.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 11-14-2011 at 01:17 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I noticed that over the weekend that I was called and asked who I would vote for on the republican side. the choices given to me were cain, perry and romney. none of the other candidates were even mentioned. when I asked why no one else was listed, the response I was given was the dial tone of someone who had hung up the phone.

it goes to show how biased polls really are these days.

That might not have been a poll, but a volunteer calling for a particular candidate. Did they identify themselves as calling for a polling group? I know there were some calls being made for some of those candidates that weren't affiliated with a poll.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 AM

865 posts, read 677,243 times
Quote:
This was not a generic online poll that could be spammed. It was a survey sent to registered Repubican voters in an online format. There were recognized methods used to get a representative sample, but because it was administered online, margins of error do not apply. All polling can be manipulated to some extent and I don't much of it is completely accurate, but it does give a good indicator of how things are trending. I
Oh hey! That sounds like the Illinois Straw Poll.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 AM

212 posts, read 126,783 times
Quote:
By Patricia Zengerle

Reuters is a bank owned News Agency. Ron Paul leads all the polls. Not one mention of him in the article.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,402,887 times
Default Who cares?

He's the candidate who is in the lead because the others are perceived as being very bad, NOT because he is perceived as being much better. Not pretty pathetic, but pretty damn pathetic. Keep prayin', hopin', and dreamin'.

Incredible edge to President Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections