Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
Paul is not my God.

I personally would not vote for Obama but I would not vote for a Repub either. I would either write in Ron Paul or not vote for a President at all.

I did vote for McCain but not because I liked him but because I despised Obama. Yes, I have always voted R, but I am only 31 so that's not that long. I have very conservative values.

I have learned a lot in the last few years and I am behind Paul 100%. The thing about Paul supporters is, most of us have researched him fully. We've read his books and we know that he has the answers that we are looking for. I don't agree with him 100% on everything but I know that he is closest that there is right now. He has a record to prove himself and he uses the Constitution to base his vote- you know what you're getting with him.

All the others, IMO, would be the same thing that we have had for years. Why vote a Repub in to have them do the same things or close to the same things as Obama. Then the Repubs get the bad name again- you know the media bashes them more than the D's. I really don't think that any of the other candidates can beat Obama in the general election. Independents are going to be needed to beat him and we need someone that will appeal to them as well. They usually will not vote for an ultra conservative. People (from all parties) are and have been saying that we need to bring our troops home and Paul is the only one that is saying he will do that. I think that would win a lot of people over Obama.
But in your post (see #8) you said you would vote Democrat. As for writing in Paul's name or not voting whatever, this sounds to me like the little kid that says, if we can't play the game my way I am going to take my toys and go home. For me, it boils down to sticking by my party and supporting whomever the party chooses to represent us. If this is Paul, I will support him, if it is Romney (who I really do not like) I will support him. The only time I would ever vote for someone other than the person my party chooses would be if I really thought the "other side" had a candidate that shared my views. this isn't likely to happen but I have voted for the other side from time to time.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But in your post (see #8) you said you would vote Democrat. As for writing in Paul's name or not voting whatever, this sounds to me like the little kid that says, if we can't play the game my way I am going to take my toys and go home. For me, it boils down to sticking by my party and supporting whomever the party chooses to represent us. If this is Paul, I will support him, if it is Romney (who I really do not like) I will support him. The only time I would ever vote for someone other than the person my party chooses would be if I really thought the "other side" had a candidate that shared my views. this isn't likely to happen but I have voted for the other side from time to time.

Nita
that mindset is whats destroying the country, because it makes your vote worthless. you will vote for whoever has an R behind there name and won't even make them sweat for your vote.

i refuse to chain myself to a party, will evaluate each candidate, and make the call. they have to sell themselves to me. i just don't automatically vote for them because they are republicans or democrats.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
that mindset is whats destroying the country, because it makes your vote worthless. you will vote for whoever has an R behind there name and won't even make them sweat for your vote.

i refuse to chain myself to a party, will evaluate each candidate, and make the call. they have to sell themselves to me. i just don't automatically vote for them because they are republicans or democrats.
But doesn't writing a name in or not voting which many of the Paul supporters are saying they will do create a similar problem? I will say, I do not always vote just because of a persons party (I have said that) I do vote for Pres that way as we have a convention, we choose, the choice is normally someone many in the party are strongly behind and I feel I too need to support that person. YOu have shown why you do not identify with any party, I admire you for your independence.

NIta

Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:

Nita
I think the idea is that if not Paul, then who cares who wins? (i.e. they are both the same candidate-- mainstream republican vs. Obama-- both will only cut spending by less than 0.5%, both will escalate our involvement overseas and in foreign affairs, both will pander to lobbyists...)

The difference between establishment republicans and Obama is not very much.

Tell me the meaningful difference between Obama and GW Bush

Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I think the idea is that if not Paul, then who cares who wins? (i.e. they are both the same candidate-- mainstream republican vs. Obama-- both will only cut spending by less than 0.5%, both will escalate our involvement overseas and in foreign affairs, both will pander to lobbyists...)

I am not going to list a million diffeerences and we are not talking GW right now. You sound like the Democrats that keep going back to GW. but I will give you a couple off the top of my head.

1-Bush never wanted to raise taxes on the rich

2-Bush did not overturn Don't Ask, Don't tell

3-Bush did not appoint gays to high positions to make a point.

4-Bush signed into law a pharmacy porvision for medi-care

5-Bush did not nominate libs to the supreme court.

6-Bush did not make a huge mess out of the credit card interest rate issues.

The gay issues I only point out to show some differences, not to judge what is right and or wrong.

Of course there are similarities, no one would cliam there were not, but there are differences and the name of the game, is give and take. It isn't "I want my way" Oh, I am sorry, that is what Obama would like us to think.

As I have mentioned before, you just a missing the point: I would never advise any of Paul's supporters not to vote for him, and I have said over and over, if he gets the nomination I would support him, but to say, if he doesn't I won't vote or I will write his name in (which btw can not be done in many states) is cutting off ones nose to spite a face. There is always a better choice between 2 candidates, depending on your views.

Nita

Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM

313 posts, read 834,035 times
Quote:

Nita
No, I did not. I said:
"Actually there are a lot that are planning on doing just that depending on who the Rep nominee is. Why should we keep voting for a Dem in Rep clothing?"
I did not say that I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

Exactly!! There is not much of a difference so why bother! I will vote Ron Paul. I will not vote for the lesser of 2 evils. Period.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
No, I did not. I said:
"Actually there are a lot that are planning on doing just that depending on who the Rep nominee is. Why should we keep voting for a Dem in Rep clothing?"
I did not say that I would.

Exactly!! There is not much of a difference so why bother! I will vote Ron Paul. I will not vote for the lesser of 2 evils. Period.
And, Nita has exposed this little bit of stupidity for what it is. Fortunately, it's your God-given right to be as stubborn and dense as you wish. Enjoy throwing your vote away.

I'm lucky - I live in Maryland so my vote doesn't matter. I can act like you and vote for Gumby because he's the ONLY candidate that isn't EXACTLY like Obama.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
And, Nita has exposed this little bit of stupidity for what it is. Fortunately, it's your God-given right to be as stubborn and dense as you wish. Enjoy throwing your vote away.

I'm lucky - I live in Maryland so my vote doesn't matter. I can act like you and vote for Gumby because he's the ONLY candidate that isn't EXACTLY like Obama.
Well, if it is stupid, stubborn and dense to stand by my conviction and vote for the person who deserves to be president rather then the lesser of two evils then I guess that's what I am. I'd rather that then to sell out and vote for more of the same. BTW, since I live in Ca, do you really think my vote counts?

Here is a great article I read today Robin Koerner: "First Do No Harm": Constitutional and Conservative Liberals

and an excerpt from it:
"Something is surely afoot when the "extremists" are advocating such extreme positions as not invading countries without declaring war, spending no more than revenues, using money that is worth something and not passing laws that allows government agents to invade the privacy of citizens without cause, and the "moderates" are advocating spending trillions more than we earn, dropping bombs on people who don't threaten us, giving money to people who destroy value, and voiding the fourth amendment without so much as a "by the way"."

Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Well, if it is stupid, stubborn and dense to stand by my conviction and vote for the person who deserves to be president rather then the lesser of two evils then I guess that's what I am. I'd rather that then to sell out and vote for more of the same. BTW, since I live in Ca, do you really think my vote counts?

Here is a great article I read today Robin Koerner: "First Do No Harm": Constitutional and Conservative Liberals

and an excerpt from it:
"Something is surely afoot when the "extremists" are advocating such extreme positions as not invading countries without declaring war, spending no more than revenues, using money that is worth something and not passing laws that allows government agents to invade the privacy of citizens without cause, and the "moderates" are advocating spending trillions more than we earn, dropping bombs on people who don't threaten us, giving money to people who destroy value, and voiding the fourth amendment without so much as a "by the way"."
The point you are missing is: if Paul does not get the nomination, you will be throwing a vote away, but, yes, as an American you can do that and help elect Obama again. I have said more than once now, I will vote for Paul rather than give a vote to Obama. You have chosen to give your vote to Obama if Paul does not get the nomination. Of course you live in Ca so it really doesn't matter much what you do, Obama will carry the state.

Nita

Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
The point you are missing is: if Paul does not get the nomination, you will be throwing a vote away, but, yes, as an American you can do that and help elect Obama again. I have said more than once now, I will vote for Paul rather than give a vote to Obama. You have chosen to give your vote to Obama if Paul does not get the nomination. Of course you live in Ca so it really doesn't matter much what you do, Obama will carry the state.

Nita
The point you are missing is: if someone other than Paul gets the nomination, it will be like voting for Obama anyways. The difference of it being an R or Obama does not matter, the policies will most likely not be much different. We need radical change and any candidate other than Paul WILL NOT bring it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections