Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,063,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazey View Post
Thanx so much for all your input and info... I was spoiled growing up and had trails galore right in my back yard (but it was in MN - and I don't do well with the winters there)... I am a very active person - I love horseback riding, running, swimming, water-skiing, hiking. I just hope that I won't need to travel an hour or more to visit my adventure lands.
This is a perfect area for horses. Because the land is being used up fast, it's getting kind of expensive to keep horses -- alfalfa fields are being plowed under at a very very high rate -- but the alfafa is very good quality with 5 or 6 cuttings a year.

As far as trails, it's very nice because of the river and irrigation canals and the mesas. Unlike the Midwest where your rides can be limited by fences and roads, here the irrigation canals and ditches make for great riding -- and the river -- you could ride for days and not find a fence to block you.

There are many people who trailer horses up into the Gila or the Lincoln forests for more riding and more endless trails. The Gila Wilderness is exceptional - miles and miles of mostly uninhabited land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 PM

And unlike MN, horses in this area don't need to have barns and stalls. No mucking of damp cold stables. For horses there is almost no place more ideal as far as weather, the most you really need is a windbreak and a little shade for them, and there's almost never a day that would be unsuitable for riding horses -- or bikes, or hiking. You never have to worry about snow over patches of ice to slip on, or months or being cooped up. Horses don't get the hoof problems from standing in wet cold stalls.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,453,529 times
this might help: Las Cruces, New Mexico, Outdoors Recreation

Old 03-20-2008, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 53,646 times
So, it sounds like the hay is expensive - but the rest of the upkeep is easier. Malamute - you mentioned riding along the river... are there trails? Isn't the river pretty dried up? Where do the irrigation canals go? And this land your talking about.. where I could ride w/o fences it must not be along private property.. Thanx again for everyone's input.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazey View Post
So, it sounds like the hay is expensive - but the rest of the upkeep is easier. Malamute - you mentioned riding along the river... are there trails? Isn't the river pretty dried up? Where do the irrigation canals go? And this land your talking about.. where I could ride w/o fences it must not be along private property.. Thanx again for everyone's input.
You don't have to worry about trails -- you can ride all up and down the river, and irrigation canals and canals are better than trails because you don't have to worry about private property, fences. And there are the open areas, the mesas and desert trails of all kinds. The canals aren't private property and are used for irrigating and people run, walk, and of course ride horses along them. Like a two-track dirt road -- perfect for barefoot horses. The river is damned higher and diverted into canals so you sometimes see it with very little water and you can ride horses in the river bed itself then, but in the summer it has water and can be dangerous.

You have a wide variety of scenary here -- you can be out riding in the desert and you'll see coyotes, jack rabbits, hawks, road runners and lizards or if you're riding along the irrigation ditches you'll see marsh plants and animals, ducks, blue herons, beavers. A couple hour drive up to the mountains and you'll be riding in cool pine and aspen forests with mountain streams.

There are groups who meet for group rides -- potlucks and weekend trips. And many people haul horses up to Ruidoso or the Gila Wilderness where there are countless trails on national wilderness lands and parks.

Many people here are into gymkhanas, team roping but a lot of people are into hunter-jumpers. Quarter horses are probably the most common but you see a lot of thoroughbreds and Arabians. The weather is amazing for horses -- there might be one or two days out of a year that you wouldn't want to ride.

It's probably more expensive but then you have 363 perfect riding days a year versus whatever you think would be perfect days up there which would be many fewer.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:00 PM

91 posts, read 391,285 times
Hi Dazey, i just caught your thread, I live in MN and like to Mt Bike, and we do have a lot of trails around our area. I live around the Chaska area, which area of MN did you live in? We are looking to move to El Paso or LC in a year or two, you are right the winters are to long, and to cold in MN. I also would like a area with bike paths, and would like to maybe join a bike club. Although you are a runner, we are kind of looking for the same thing.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 AM

13 posts, read 53,646 times
I lived in SE MN for most of my young years and went to college in St. Paul. I've never been one to last long on a bike. I've seen a lot of bikers on trails when I've visited the area.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso