Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

There is a new one being built in N.E. On Trans-Mountain road, near the WIO Market On Audobon Street.. in the lot across the street.. here is a google map to show you the location.

Google Maps

Just thought you would like to know what progress looks like. =)

Oh and to give you an idea.. this link is also a google map.. but I want to point out whats missing from it.

Google Maps

Deer Ave & Railroad you have the new Parkland Elementary school, and some weird duplex like complex thing on the corner. Trans Mountain and Rail Road you have new houses built and a new Apartment Complex going in along Railroad there.. across the street is a storage place and a new Tristate Electric building. Next to that white water tower next to the rail road tracks. That should give you an idea of some of the many changes that google maps has yet to update.

Oh and they have started to put the Loop 375 Gate in at Biggs Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:19 PM

49 posts, read 313,441 times
Good to know. Will give AutoZone, Checker, and Pep Girls a run for their money. My mom lives out in the area around the new Parkland school, and stuff is popping up everywhere.

I've been in Northeast for 16 years now, and it has improved dramatically in that time. I think it hit rock bottom business wise around the mid 90's and has been on the upswing since. When the Lowes and Carmike cinemas opened we finally joined the rest of world. I used to hate having to drive over the mountain to go to Home Depot. Remember the Cashway on Dyer street? After they closed, McCoys was the only place to go for home improvement stuff for a long time.

We bought out here for several reasons....the mountain view, air is cleaner, and it's closer proximity to New Mexico (don't have to tow my 5th wheel through city traffic to go to the mountains). The downside was always the lack of shopping. Now if they would just bulldoze Northpark and put up a real mall out here......

Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizlefrak View Post
Now if they would just bulldoze Northpark and put up a real mall out here......
Once they find another place to put the El Paso Museum of Natural History? I heard they were going to move into a new building on Doniphan next to Keystone Wetlands, but they weren't having a lot of success raising money to build it.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
There is a new one being built in N.E. On Trans-Mountain road, near the WIO Market On Audobon Street.. in the lot across the street.. here is a google map to show you the location.

Google Maps
Northwest corner of Trans-Mountain and Audobon? I remember that lot well (used to sneak off the Dowell Elementary campus to go to the WIO across Audobon around 1975 when it was known as 16 Food Corral). I was wondering when they were going to develop that property.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Once they find another place to put the El Paso Museum of Natural History? I heard they were going to move into a new building on Doniphan next to Keystone Wetlands, but they weren't having a lot of success raising money to build it.

Well one reason they want to move is because all that land has finally hit the deadline of exploded ordnance criteria set by the Army. Most of it to a point just before the mountain is being traded from the Military to the City for some land the Military wants or something like that. The city has sold land to Target and other big business, and I hear a mall will be placed between Hondo Pass and Trans-Mountain road in a few years time.

North Park Mall is up for sale.. and I have heard in the grape vine that A new strip mall would be built there and Apartments on the back half of the property.. but that is just rumor.

Sun Valley Road next to the 7-11 across from the Butterfield APT. they are building a small strip mall.. its looking nice.

On Shawn Haggerty there is a new 7-11 and some apartment like duplexes. There is also a bunch of development on US-54 all along the highway there.. On McCombs and US-54 there is a new Gas Station, a McDonalds, a subway, a lube and go and they are building a Churches Chicken there too. There is also a brand new sports park there too across McCombs. You know right there near Painted Dunes Golf Course. Thats where that planned community will be built.

If you ever went Horse back Riding at Underwood, they are building lots of houses out there the development is called Mesquite... some real nice homes in the 175K-240K range.

The Border Patrol Museum may also be moving to Montana next to their compound on Hawkins and Montana.. because of what I said above about developing the land there.

The North East is about to explode.. and they are prepping the area to service the many military coming. They are gonna need to have all these business in the North East because trying to drive across town will be all sorts of Frustrating.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
[quote=Muhnay;2575142]Well one reason they want to move is because all that land has finally hit the deadline of exploded ordnance criteria set by the Army. Most of it to a point just before the mountain is being traded from the Military to the City for some land the Military wants or something like that. The city has sold land to Target and other big business, and I hear a mall will be placed between Hondo Pass and Trans-Mountain road in a few years time.

North Park Mall is up for sale.. and I have heard in the grape vine that A new strip mall would be built there and Apartments on the back half of the property.. but that is just rumor.

Sun Valley Road next to the 7-11 across from the Butterfield APT. they are building a small strip mall.. its looking nice.

On Shawn Haggerty there is a new 7-11 and some apartment like duplexes. There is also a bunch of development on US-54 all along the highway there.. On McCombs and US-54 there is a new Gas Station, a McDonalds, a subway, a lube and go and they are building a Churches Chicken there too. There is also a brand new sports park there too across McCombs. You know right there near Painted Dunes Golf Course. Thats where that planned community will be built.

If you ever went Horse back Riding at Underwood, they are building lots of houses out there the development is called Mesquite... some real nice homes in the 175K-240K range.

The Border Patrol Museum may also be moving to Montana next to their compound on Hawkins and Montana.. because of what I said above about developing the land there.

The North East is about to explode.. and they are prepping the area to service the many military coming. They are gonna need to have all these business in the North East because trying to drive across town will be all sorts of Frustrating.[/quot

Muhnay, you should change your name to Mr Northeast, your not to fond of el paso, but you love the northeast, do you ever get out of the n.e [lol]

Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Not really.. because I don't like El Paso.. so I try not to travel in it much.

End Sarcasm..

Yes Sure I do.. I have seen lots of building going on on the East Side and West Side too.. but they get spoiled enough.. so I try to highlight the North East side of town.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:57 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Hi Muhnay

How would you define the North East side of town. I see highway 54 on the map, and Montana Avenue. Would those be in the North East? I think I can see the West Side would be on the west side on the Franklin Mountains. Would the East Side be south of Montana Avenue? Also, this might be a dumb question, but does El Paso have a South Side?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Hi Muhnay

How would you define the North East side of town. I see highway 54 on the map, and Montana Avenue. Would those be in the North East? I think I can see the West Side would be on the west side on the Franklin Mountains. Would the East Side be south of Montana Avenue? Also, this might be a dumb question, but does El Paso have a South Side?

I know you asked Muhnay, but I think I'll jump in with the definitions of the various parts of El Paso as I understood them growing up there:

West Side = west of the Franklin Mountains and north of Schuster Avenue.

East Side = north of Interstate 10 and east of Airway Boulevard and Airport Road.

Southeast Side (Lower Valley) = south of Interstate 10 from Ascarate Park east to the Socorro city limits.

South Side (aka South Central) = south of Interstate 10 and west of Ascarate Park, excluding Downtown.

Downtown = the area from Paisano Drive north to Interstate 10 and from Saint Vrain Street west to Union Station on San Francisco Avenue and Coldwell Street.

Northeast Side = east of the Franklin Mountains and north of Fred Wilson Boulevard.

West Central = from Interstate 10 north to Schuster Avenue and west of Cotton Street.

East Central = from Interstate 10 north to Fort Bliss and from the Patriot Freeway (US 54) east to Airway Boulevard.

North Central = from Interstate 10 north to Fred Wilson Boulevard and from Fort Bliss west to the Franklin Mountains and Cotton Street.

These definitions may be a bit debatable....

Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Thanks, atrabilius, that was very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso