Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 25,241 times

Advertisements

Hey can anybody help me get my feet off the ground, by recommending a good insurance company for a 20 year old with good grades and an associates degree (Mercedes BenZ 240 D)..
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish_imthegreatest View Post
Hey can anybody help me get my feet off the ground, by recommending a good insurance company for a 20 year old with good grades and an associates degree (Mercedes BenZ 240 D)..
Thanks for the help.
You are 20 years old. Sorry paying through the nose for car insurance will be a fact of life until you turn 25, 26, or depending on your record 30. You can always get married and get a discount that way since you are more likely to be responsible and not "act the fool" while driving.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 26,191 times
Trade in the benz for a geo metro...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,492 times
I've had good experience & rates with a local Allstate rep and 21st.com (formerly AIG). FredLoya.com is a well known local insurance company (not broker) with offices across the city that seems to target cash strapped and 'non-standard' clients.

It's not possible to say that one company has lower rates than another. Each company seems to have different rates at different times for different classes of drivers. They all claim that "people who switched to us saved money" - but that's only because people only switch if they can save money - it doesn't address the many people who were quoted and didn't switch because it would cost more.

The Mercedes BenZ 240 D was sold between 1973 and 1983 (?)- so having an older car should help - but as a 20 year old you will still pay hefty rates.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 PM

22 posts, read 101,632 times
Fred Loya is my relative and does great wonders with charging just test the waters. he's off Montana

Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Or use a New Mexico address and get much cheaper insurance there -- or get Mexican plates and you don't have to have insurance at all -- that's what a whole lot of people around here do. Sometimes I feel like following them, insurance here is sky high.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:10 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or use a New Mexico address and get much cheaper insurance there -- or get Mexican plates and you don't have to have insurance at all -- that's what a whole lot of people around here do. Sometimes I feel like following them, insurance here is sky high.
Insurance is High in El Paso because a significant number of people refuse to be responsible and carry the minimum liability insurance. I hope the new program/system that lets police instantly verify coverage when you get pulled over will help reduce the uninsured rate. If you can't afford the "minimum" coverage then you have no right to use an automobile on public streets. I would also support impounding vehicles for not carrying the proper financial responsibility.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Insurance is High in El Paso because a significant number of people refuse to be responsible and carry the minimum liability insurance. I hope the new program/system that lets police instantly verify coverage when you get pulled over will help reduce the uninsured rate. If you can't afford the "minimum" coverage then you have no right to use an automobile on public streets. I would also support impounding vehicles for not carrying the proper financial responsibility.
I know, it's just that a whole lot of people choose that other route. New Mexico insurance is much cheaper and that way you could still have insurance.

I don't think the police are serious about stopping those with no insurance, the laws have been there all along and they always let them go. Just like the license/insurance check points they set up and most people just do a U-turn and the police just let them do that.

They will only impound some cars, the laws won't apply to everyone just like they don't now.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
Like someone else said, get rid of the Mercedes. What year is it and do you need full coverage? Kids really need to invest money in better things then spending over 300/month on insurance.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM

121 posts, read 402,245 times
Ask your parents for the insurance money since that's the only way you bought that car at your age. If they're wealthy enough, get a liability deposit option instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso