Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:21 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,245,485 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's their intention, but back when i was in high school, if you brought a pager to school, you got arrested. Now, everyone and their mother has a cell phone.

Back when i was in high school, they didn't even have stall doors in the boys bathrooms. They did for the girls.

What purpose could there possibly have been otherwise to humiliate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,057,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I don't know if it's their intention, but back when i was in high school, if you brought a pager to school, you got arrested. Now, everyone and their mother has a cell phone.
You're kidding, arrested?

Quote:
Back when i was in high school, they didn't even have stall doors in the boys bathrooms. They did for the girls.

You should join the Army if you want stalls in the restrooms, showers, toilets, etc.

busta

Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
You're kidding, arrested?

You should join the Army if you want stalls in the restrooms, showers, toilets, etc.

busta
Yes, they said that students have no business having pagers, so they would call the police and tell them to take the student downtown.. But they couldn't be charged with anything becaues pagers aren't illegal. So being arrested in front of the students, knowing nothing illegal has taken place can only be to humiliate the student.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,826 times
Many, many people have periods of school they'd like to forget. Although it seems like forever, it does actually go by. I know this is hard for those who aren't naturally "class clowns," but if you laugh it off, be the first to make fun of yourself, and never let anyone know you're embarassed, others are much less likely to try and humiliate you. If there are girls in the group, they would rather the mood be lightened by everyone laughing, rather than someone being harassed. Inwardly, every one of them is afraid they'll be the target of ridicule. And when it's over, you have a fresh start with people who don't know you, and you can re-create yourself to be whatever you want. Sometimes you have to just wait it out, but when you do you'll have learned how to thrive in the less hostile environment of the adult world.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,497,094 times
Quote:

Let it go already....

Old 04-30-2010, 05:34 PM

45,485 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:

The pager thing was a misdemeanor in MD. The theory was that only drug dealers could afford them. Which was generally true.

The no doors was to forestall horny 9th graders from taking a mid-afternoon "self-pleasuring" break. And because the dumbasses break the doors.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:46 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times
I don't really remember deliberate attempts to humiliate us in high school. There may have been isolated cases of certain teachers doing that, but I can't really think of anything significant.

The only thing I can think of the administration doing, and I wouldn't call this humiliation, was putting students who had gotten into trouble on work details in view of the other students. But very few of us were really embarrassed by this, and I don't think it was intended to humiliate us in any case, just ruin our afternoon.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The pager thing was a misdemeanor in MD. The theory was that only drug dealers could afford them. Which was generally true.

The no doors was to forestall horny 9th graders from taking a mid-afternoon "self-pleasuring" break. And because the dumbasses break the doors.

Imagine had they made raced based assumptions...

They had stall doors in the girls' bathrooms, only boys "self pleasure"?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 AM

45,485 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Same way back in the 60s when I was in high school. The girl's locker rooms had individual shower stalls, the boy's was gang.

Every single kid we busted in the early to late 80s with a pager also had drugs in distribution quantities. Every single one.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
Quote:

So are we concerned with pagers or stall doors in bathrooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education