Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,042 times

Advertisements

I can read, speak, and understand basic French (still learning), I understand and can read quite a bit of Spanish, but my speaking isn't on par with my comprehension. My fiance and I are trying to learn a bit of Gaelic before our trip to Skye this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:30 PM

117 posts, read 313,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Interesting.

Lemme guess: You're ethnically Italian, went to school in Scotland and Ireland.
Did you learn Spanish at school?
nope.

I'm ethnically mixed: 3/4 Irish 3/4 Indian with 3/4 black 3/4 white.
Was raised by grandparents from Ireland and family from Scotland in Cuba (where I learned Spanish). And lived in Italy for a while before I cam to America. I learned most of my English in school as well as my French.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,879 times
Talking Wih!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
nope.

I'm ethnically mixed: 3/4 Irish 3/4 Indian with 3/4 black 3/4 white.
Was raised by grandparents from Ireland and family from Scotland in Cuba (where I learned Spanish). And lived in Italy for a while before I cam to America. I learned most of my English in school as well as my French.
Even more interesting!

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times
I can speak Spanish well. I can keep a conversation (unless they start talking about science, I don't know those words) and can read the language almost fluently.

I think learning a second language should be required in this nation. Too many Americans don't speak anything but English and then are offended when they go to other nations and the people don't speak English. Some Americans feel like everyone in the world should speak English fluently and when they run across people that don't speak English, they don't understand.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM

650 posts, read 1,206,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I think learning a second language should be required in this nation. Too many Americans don't speak anything but English and then are offended when they go to other nations and the people don't speak English. Some Americans feel like everyone in the world should speak English fluently and when they run across people that don't speak English, they don't understand.
I'm so glad you said this...because there ARE people who become completely bewildered by travelling, even by regional variations in their own language (like 'lift' for 'elevator')...I've met them! I wonder if they're the same people who refuse to drive on the appropriate side of the road when visiting, too...

I think learning other languages is key to truly opening your mind to other cultures, mindsets, and perspectives: they should absolutely be required classes in schools.

So to answer the original question I've got English, Irish, French, a handful of Latin and a dozen words of Russian that I can't read on paper.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:57 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
I use to speak spanish and hebrew when I was a lil kid but I can't now

I can read dutch and listen to dutch and get what their saying. I find dutch the easiest language for an english speaker.

Japanese I have been trying for years off and on. I realized the only time I can speak or read Japanese is if I do not know where the hell I am in Japan then all of a sudden I am fluent. That happened to me in Yokohama.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
. . . still know how to say "beer" and "jet mechanic" in Korean. (Not sure if the Korean ability will ever be of any use...)
Come hang out in my neighborhood and it will be of some use. Not on my block necessarily but about 8 blocks north of here. Arabic, Farsi and Serbian are pretty handy up there too. And Polish about 6 blocks to the south of me. And Spanish pretty much all around.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:47 AM

33 posts, read 121,249 times
Selam--hello--здравствуйте--Hallo

i Can speak english turkish russian and german

Turkish is my mother language do you want learn turkish :P really
English is my 2nd language-- i know this language %80
russian is my 3th language-- i learned this on internet
german is my 4th language-- i know some words

Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,879 times
Default Russian through internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesn't Hurt View Post
russian is my 3th language-- i learned this on internet
Wow. I'm impressed.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 121,249 times
thanks but it was too hard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education