Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM
lun lun started this thread

2 posts, read 1,758 times

Advertisements

I'm newbie here. I'm a college student and major in language (Turkish) in Taiwan. I'm confused if learning other languages will be useful in the future, especially in work. Could anybody give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM

301 posts, read 1,327,593 times
For example, learning Japanese if you plan on pursuing employment in Japan or learning Cantonese if you want to work in Hong Kong? At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd say it would be extremely useful learning the mother tongue of the nations where you plan on looking for work. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend too much time in learning let's say Dutch if I was living and working in Canada.

Why did you decide to study Turkish in Taiwan? Is there a demand for it?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
Not in this country (USA). I don't know about others. Here a language is useful only as an additional to a more practical education. By itself it probably won't help you at all. I had a very similar major to yours and it was useless.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
I think that for most people, learning another language is a tool, more than an end in itself. Unless you want to teach or write, you may want to consider an additional major.

For example, if you want to work in industry, you may want to major in business or manufacturing technology and learn one or two languages that are useful in those fields. If you are interested in studying Turkish, then you need to find out what enterprises that Taiwan and Turkey share.

It is a very specialized market, and it would be prudent to see what skills are needed rather than follow your whims and end up unmarketable.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
I think it can only help you if you learn another language. Currently, I am learning Mandarin Chinese from a program that my local library has to offer. It's totally free, online, and similar to the Rosetta Stone program. It's called Mango.

Mango Languages | Learn a Language, Learn Spanish, Learn Chinese Fast

Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM
lun lun started this thread

2 posts, read 1,758 times
Actually, I'm not so interested in learning Turkish. The reason I choose it to be my major in college is all because of the educational system in Taiwan. The score on the entering college or university test decides what we student will major. For example, I want to major in business but my score is lower than another student, then that student will have the priority and I have to choose others. But now I'm planning to tranfer to accounting department! Really thanks for all your advice!!^^

ps. I love Chinese, English and Japanese.^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education