Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM

298 posts, read 333,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So.....you think that by having gossip and rumors written down and potentially available to parents, police, admin and teachers things will improve? You think that little Suzie, who is horrified that Janie has spread rumors that Suzie is pregnant/has an STD/is gay/is failing consumer math etc etc, will feel oh-so-much better knowing that it is logged down somewhere for all eternity? And what about if Suzie then commits suicide BECAUSE it is written down somewhere? Then what?

How are these "gossip logs" kept? Under lock and key? Who has access? How long are they kept? What is the school's liability if they get lost or stolen? Or if a decision is made based on a piece of gossip?

I can't even think of any way this is could turn out well. For anyone.

No, it should only be available to the person filling this position.

That's the point in having someone to trust. Parents, police, admin, and teachers cannot read it.

Considering Suzie won't be going to that school for all eternity, it shouldn't matter for her.

And I would keep this information at my home. The notebooks would never leave my house.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
What is twisted?

What "professional" boundaries are you referring to?

And why is reassure in quotes? They WERE only laughing at him to make him feel bad at that point.

The boy would have felt no worse as to have a group of girls laughing at him on their own VS me laughing with them. And, in this way, the boy is assured he did nothing wrong.
1) You said you "worked" in camps. Now, I don't know if you cooked meals, taught swim lessons or were there as a counselor. Either way, you were there in a paid position of some authority as an older, supposedly mature person around kids. That sets a boundary.

2) To see a person in an "authority" position laughing at you with the camp bullies ... you really don't get why that's twisted?? Coming up to him after the fact does not make you a hero in his eyes. It makes you look like a participant who tried to cover his butt later.

Any chance YOU were picked on in HS?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
1) You said you "worked" in camps. Now, I don't know if you cooked meals, taught swim lessons or were there as a counselor. Either way, you were there in a paid position of some authority as an older, supposedly mature person around kids. That sets a boundary.

2) To see a person in an "authority" position laughing at you with the camp bullies ... you really don't get why that's twisted?? Coming up to him after the fact does not make you a hero in his eyes. It makes you look like a participant who tried to cover his butt later.

Any chance YOU were picked on in HS?

Why does it have to set a boundary for?

It could, but it doesn't have to, particularly if you work hard to not let it weigh you down as a person.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Why does it have to set a boundary for?

It could, but it doesn't have to, particularly if you work hard to not let it weigh you down as a person.

I'm talking about personal boundaries, which exist for a reason. They are guidelines that exist to protect people. The boundary that says, for example, parents of adult children should not tell those children how to live their lives. The boundary that says teachers should not party with students.

You crossed the "professional" boundary when you joined the mean girls, regardless of your supposed motives.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about personal boundaries, which exist for a reason. They are guidelines that exist to protect people. The boundary that says, for example, parents of adult children should not tell those children how to live their lives. The boundary that says teachers should not party with students.

You crossed the "professional" boundary when you joined the mean girls, regardless of your supposed motives.

Well who says I have to accept those personal boundaries?

It's not a law or anything.

For example, teachers could party with students, if they wanted to.

You just have to make sure you don't let what happens there influence how you grade them.

But if you're a teacher, you're an adult, so you should be smart enough to not let bias affect your grading.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:

It's not a law or anything.

For example, teachers could party with students, if they wanted to.

You just have to make sure you don't let what happens there influence how you grade them.

But if you're a teacher, you're an adult, so you should be smart enough to not let bias affect your grading.
LOL Okay.

Sometimes it IS a law.

Mary Kay Letourneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Bias in grading" is not the problem most are worried about. You are really, really over your head here.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM

This was from a closed thread, so I just want to respond to it here:

"When do the kids get to solve their own problems and to be independent? See, this is a lot of the problem. We are not letting kids learn how to solve social problems on their own."

Well, I figured middle school is when kids need more help, so that's when it makes sense to focus the position towards.

When they leave to go to high school, the person could still provide some help for the beginning of their freshman year and maybe a little bit in sophomore year before phasing them out.

The situation would likely naturally resolve itself though. Since I wouldn't be spending any time at this new school, my ability to help will be more limited, which leads to them asking for less help, etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
LOL Okay.

Sometimes it IS a law.

Mary Kay Letourneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Bias in grading" is not the problem most are worried about. You are really, really over your head here.

You totally changed what I said.

How can you purport to do that?

There is a HUGE difference between going to a party with someone and having sexual relations.

How can you pretend like they are the same thing?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Default Starting to sound like the poster Jay Watson...

They didn't just walk into the classroom and start having sex one day. It began with hanging out and parties, a relationship that did not respect the boundaries that exist between teacher and student to keep them from trying to act like peers, which they are not.

SO in the position you describe in your idea, if you are an adult insinuating yourself into the lives of middle-school students, who are 12- through 14-year-olds, in order to collect information they told you because they trusted you that you then would use to teach them ... how to act like an adult ...

It's a complete and total violation of trust and boundaries, sort of a personal interaction double-whammy.

In other words, it's exactly how NOT to teach someone how to interact.

How old are you? Also, is English your first language?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,499,951 times
Quote:
You totally changed what I said.

How can you purport to do that?

There is a HUGE difference between going to a party with someone and having sexual relations.

How can you pretend like they are the same thing?
As professionals it is often as important to avoid the "appearance of impropriety" as impropriety itself.

I'm still waiting to hear about your educational background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education